U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 13,596 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness! There is even a Greek Orthodox church in Lexington for my husband to take the baby!! ;-) The more digging I do the better it looks!!

Wish I could ask a teacher about schools, especially the Montessori and private schools ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Talking Thank you :-)

Thank you again CraigCreek and nlschr0 too!

I appreciate every minute and every measured word you all carefully and meticulously post!

I have a ton of houses saved in my online searches.. and we are looking in the 400k range, but my hubby would be so happy if we get a house and a few acres (5-10) for 300k or less ;-) I'm more in tune with the 600k+ homes, but I will love living in KY even with 5-10 acres and a decent 3 or 4 bedroom home for half of what my eyes wishful thinking budget is!

Since I "found" the greek church he will be a double happy camper. anything around Lexington looks great, as I know he may have to commute between Lex, Richmond and Frankfort if all goes well with work ;-)

Any and all insights are greatly appreciated, but will take the time to draw a map next week and mark the roads mentioned above..

Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 AM

8,208 posts, read 4,516,794 times
You can read up on some of the individual schools here.

Lexington Schools - Lexington Kentucky School Ratings - Public and Private

Many of our Public Schools are good also.
Home School Co-ops seem to be popular right now also.

Here are some pics of Lexington and Kentucky so you can get a feel for it.

Kentucky in Your Place & Other Places Forum

Here is a You Tube video of places around Kentucky

Kentucky Serenade - YouTube

Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Love it! Thanks Crazy Cat ;-)

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM

67 posts, read 116,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
However - Lexington's storm sewers are a mess that is gradually being corrected, and many parts of town, including mine, have habitually experienced flooded basements over the years. The EPA got on our case, and the storm sewers are gradually being updated. But those with basements in areas known to flood are rightfully cautioned not to finish those basements, not to lay carpet on basement floors, and not to store anything in the basement which cannot be quickly grabbed in the event of flooding. Many residents who have such basements have portable or built-in sump pumps to use during flooding - they do not eliminate the problem but can minimize it. Such flooding can occur anytime, of course, but is most common in the spring and late fall, when heavy rains are more likely.
CraigCreek, again I am amazed at your writing and level of knowledge! I have no idea who you are, but I am starting to believe that you know everything there is to know about Lexington.
I'm still following the Lexington housing market, as well as Asheville-Hendersonville, NC, and the market in my current SC neighborhood. We don't want to put the house on the market until we see things selling here, and so far, no good.
In the meantime, do you have any idea what is the best way for me to get an idea of the basement flood-prone areas and the extent of such flooding? Just now I looked at a FEMA map and got completely confused. It has little plus signs all over the place which the legend defines as LOMA and LOMR-F (which I looked up), but no real description of what their placement on the map means in layman's terms. We would love the extra space of a basement (finished or finished by us). But not if it's liable to flood.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM

10,955 posts, read 9,032,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutofwaterinSC View Post
CraigCreek, again I am amazed at your writing and level of knowledge! I have no idea who you are, but I am starting to believe that you know everything there is to know about Lexington.
I'm still following the Lexington housing market, as well as Asheville-Hendersonville, NC, and the market in my current SC neighborhood. We don't want to put the house on the market until we see things selling here, and so far, no good.
In the meantime, do you have any idea what is the best way for me to get an idea of the basement flood-prone areas and the extent of such flooding? Just now I looked at a FEMA map and got completely confused. It has little plus signs all over the place which the legend defines as LOMA and LOMR-F (which I looked up), but no real description of what their placement on the map means in layman's terms. We would love the extra space of a basement (finished or finished by us). But not if it's liable to flood.
Thank you for the kind words! Lexington has been home since my early childhood (I was born in Louisville and spent my first few years there). So much of my knowledge of my home town is through osmosis.

I think the Lexington, KY local news provided by the Lexington Herald-Leader | Kentucky.com site may have information about the flooding situation - if not, check the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government's site - it might provide phone numbers or emails of those who could answer your questions. Lexington is not located on a major body of water or waterway, but experienced very rapid growth starting in the late 1950s. The infrastructure was insufficient and did not keep up - lots of "patching" took place for many years, for which we presently are paying the price. Literally.

For the most part, it's only basements which flood - no one paddles down the streets in canoes - and the water tends to go down as rapidly as it comes up, but it can leave a mess behind. Of course small waterways do rise rapidly under rare flashflood conditions, and it's sensible to avoid them during such times.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 04-19-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area