U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:09 AM

30 posts, read 134,586 times

Advertisements

We would like to move to Kentucky, the Lexington area. Do you have to live in the suburbs to have some freedom for young kids? And can they get the same education in the suburbs as in Lexington? Also is the tone more conservative in one area than another?

I live a town that people in our state move to for better schools, yet my child complains about vulgar humor, some anti-christian/catholic comments and the literature they read is questionable in my opinion. Some may be happy with this, but we are looking for a better situation for our kids. Thank you for any information you may have. By the way your state is beautiful ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 AM

486 posts, read 1,734,697 times
If by suburbs you mean places like Nicholasville or Georgetown then the answer is no, your children will not receive the same level of education that they would receive in Lexington. However, a number of my friends live in Nicholasville and they attend private schools in Lexington (Community Montessori ES, Lexington Catholic HS, Sayre, and Lexington Christian Academy (LCA)). Scott County (Georgetown) schools are decent, but I would avoid Jessamine County schools (Nicholasville) at all costs. Woodford County (Versailles) is decent as well, however they will not be quite up to the level as say Rosa Parks ES, Cassidy ES, Morton MS, Beaumont MS, Henry Clay HS, or Dunbar HS in Lexington to name a few schools. I don't quite understand what you mean by "will my children have more freedom." Kentucky on the whole is pretty conservative with the exception of the Louisville area and I really can't tell a difference between conservatism in Nicholasville vs. conservatism in Georgetown. Lexington is a bit more progressive than the surrounding towns. Where are you moving from? To us, a "great" education may be a bit different than a "great" education where you currently live.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,544,336 times
You can live almost anywhere in Lexington and have safety for your children to play in the yard and go up and down the street. There is no need at ALL to look at the neighboring towns or counties. All it does is add minutes to your commute.

If you do think of looking at the neighboring towns, probably Wilmore will fit your likes best. There is a seminary/Christian college there, and the public elementary school is very Christian. The only drawbacks are (1) that the commute into Lexington is a beast, and (2) the grocery store is tiny.

What kind of work do you do, and what kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,718,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You can live almost anywhere in Lexington and have safety for your children to play in the yard and go up and down the street. There is no need at ALL to look at the neighboring towns or counties. All it does is add minutes to your commute.
But I will say that you can get a house cheaper outside of Lexington with more land. Too many of the Lexington subdivisions have yards the size of a dining room rug.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,544,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
But I will say that you can get a house cheaper outside of Lexington with more land. Too many of the Lexington subdivisions have yards the size of a dining room rug.
You haven't been looking in the right places! The subdivisions INSIDE the circle have beautiful huge yards... people from outside the circle are always surprised because they assumed everyone had those dinky yards they have...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM

486 posts, read 1,734,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You haven't been looking in the right places! The subdivisions INSIDE the circle have beautiful huge yards... people from outside the circle are always surprised because they assumed everyone had those dinky yards they have...
This is true. Both of my parents' houses have fairly large yards.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Thank you all for your comments and information. Timelesschild was right with my definition of freedom. We live in a suburb of Albuquerque,New Mexico and though it is a safe area, I don't feel comfortable letting my kids go past our block. Drivers are very bad and blow stop signs. And this includes some of the parents. I grew up in a smaller town in the midwest and I guess I long for the days when a kid could go where they want. Maybe I am dreaming.
As far as neighborhoods, we would like to get a brick home with a basement. I don't mind if it is not a new neighborhood (150-180). If possible, an area that you can walk to many things, or at least a quick drive. A community which is friendly and family oriented. If possible a Catholic Church near by.

Also, I have no idea what "inside the circle" means.

Thanks again for any info you have.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM

820 posts, read 2,642,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
Thank you all for your comments and information. Timelesschild was right with my definition of freedom. We live in a suburb of Albuquerque,New Mexico and though it is a safe area, I don't feel comfortable letting my kids go past our block. Drivers are very bad and blow stop signs. And this includes some of the parents. I grew up in a smaller town in the midwest and I guess I long for the days when a kid could go where they want. Maybe I am dreaming.
As far as neighborhoods, we would like to get a brick home with a basement. I don't mind if it is not a new neighborhood (150-180). If possible, an area that you can walk to many things, or at least a quick drive. A community which is friendly and family oriented. If possible a Catholic Church near by.

Also, I have no idea what "inside the circle" means.

Thanks again for any info you have.
Mayberry - I enjoy living in Lexington and am proud of our community. However, I would not ever compare it to Mayberry. There are subdivisions that are similar to what you describe and there are subdivisions which are more quiet. However, for that "small town feel", you need to go to a true small town IMO. Wilmore was mentioned and it has a very Mayberryesque feel. So does Midway. You can travel across a 3-4 mile area of Lexington anywhere in the city and see diversity in housing, economics, and the people. One size fits all is not what Lexington is about, so it's very difficult to offer suggestions to people with one particular area.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Bluegrassgirl - Thanks for your reply. I realize with a community the size of Lexington that all areas are not going to be the same. I actually lived in Chicago for some years and then in a town out west with 850 people. So I understand what your trying to say. The more I read about Kentucky, it seems like the people in general are very friendly and family oriented. That is most important where ever you live. What is the crime in Lexington compared to other cities that size, (I realize there is a College Community that adds into the factor).

Also, many of the smaller communities don't have Catholic Church, which would make it difficult. Are there areas that do not welcome Catholics? I converted and understand that not all Christians warm up to our faith. We may just have to rent a bit and see where we fit. Thanks again for your honest answers, that's how you learn.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,718,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post

Also, many of the smaller communities don't have Catholic Church, which would make it difficult. Are there areas that do not welcome Catholics? I converted and understand that not all Christians warm up to our faith. We may just have to rent a bit and see where we fit. Thanks again for your honest answers, that's how you learn.
You will find Catholic Churches in all the towns surrounding Lexington. There are several large Catholic Churches in Lexington such as Cathedral of Christ the King, Pax Christi, Mary Queen of the Holy Rosary, St. Paul, St. Peter and I'm sure I left some out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area