U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 2,768 times

Advertisements

I'm a foodie and mostly cook my own food. I'm from Chicago and the place I miss the most is Angelo Caputo's Fresh Market.

Oh well, there's a lot I like about here and I'm not going back to Chicago.

So here's what I know about grocery shopping.

WalMart - my favorite really, more likely to find stuff and get good prices. Not that great on weird ethnic things though, of course.

Kroger - I can't figure out why they are still in business. I get broke every time I shop there and just can't find things that I can find at Walmart. I think The Euclid Kroger and the Tates Creek Kroger still have bulk at least, and the Beaumont Kroger is my stop for water.

Good Foods - Nice local stuff but really expensive, but certainly have a nice bulk section. Natural Foods.

Whole Foods - The new store is great, expensive but probably cheaper than Good Foods (depends on the item). Natural Foods.

Supermercado Aguascalientes - There are a few locations but the best in general for Mexican groceries. The one on New Circle Road is across from Walmart right behind the Burger King and is a great sizable store. I have been meaning to try the one on Alexandria but haven't made it out yet. The one in the Zandale Plaza is small, but sometimes I can find what I need there.

Indian Food - well, there's Sagar India Market on Clay's Mill and Keithshire. I've been there a few times, Indian stores just have such nice spices and good prices on them. I haven't been to them all.

Asian Food - Yu Yu Asian Market on Waller seems the biggest/best? . On Fridays they have such an amazing selection of produce and the coolest mushrooms, I just need an Asian friend to help me understand what's what.

Italian Food - you tell me. Boar's head proscuitto at Kroger is a sad thing. I miss Volpi salami. I have no idea where to get this stuff.

I haven't made it to as many international markets as I should. I miss Polish sour cherry jam, I miss Italian deli items (good salami, prosciutto, pancetta, sopprasetta...).

I hope you get some info from my post and and post some more. I welcome questions like "Where can I get ...."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 09:33 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,099,898 times
Good info! Does the Supermercado Atuascalientes have a tortilleria or carneceria in the store?

Old 11-02-2019, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 2,768 times
Supermercado Aguascalientes just has groceries - bagged tortillas, meat department with no prices or cuts listed, maybe they'd cut something for you but I haven't tried it - well, New Circle has a meat department that's decent sized, the one in the Zandale Plaza is very small.

I completely forgot to mention Trader Joes, the place to go for dried fruits and nuts, and better deals on more "natural" foods, and watch out - they have a ton of great cookies and candies that are different than you'd find elsewhere.

Anybody want to say what you can find consistently at Aldi? I really don't know. How about Save A Lot? I hear Southland is the best for Save A Lot.

I buy lots of 10 lb bags of chicken leg/thigh quarters and I get them for $6 at Walmart, it's Perdue brand which is ok, but frankly I like the taste of Tyson better. I spied a 10lb bag a leg/thighs at the North Broadway Save a Lot recently, unknown brand, and mostly frozen, for something like $7.88, no thanks.

As for the tortilleria or carneceria why doesn't someone check out the Supermercado Aguascalientes on Alexandria (the newest, in an area with some real authentic looking Mexican restaurants (but I've read some don't speak English), they might have more stuff.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 3,474 times
My weekly grocery is Meijer. Their produce is superior, and cheaper, than Kroger.
If you’re up for an occasional drive for specialty items Findlay Market in Cincinnati is hard to beat
It’s a large indoor market with a large variety of vendors. I particularly like their meat counters.
I am hopeful that the new indoor market that is currently being developed in NOLI might mimic Findlay but time will tell

Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM

71 posts, read 125,300 times
Aldi has Medjool dates - the only place I can always find them.

Walmart on Nicholasville Road is my favorite, which surprises me, but that Walmart also has the best Pharmacy in town. This Walmart also has the best home delivery service in town.

The more I go to Whole Foods the more I like it. Their baked goods and deli are terrific and the staff is very helpful.

For some reason Trader Joe's has the best nuts & seeds in town.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:39 AM

53 posts, read 78,230 times
I moved here about eight years ago. I talked to an Italian family member and he said no, just go to Chicago or New York. I asked about fresh bagels and they said look on the shelf for Pepperidge Farm. That has gotten a little better. I checked seafood and most are either Gulf Coast or breaded and not fresh so I stopped trying. Local food is fine but anything multicultural of coastal is not good. The same holds true for Chinese food.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 2,536 times
Default bagel restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave dave View Post
I moved here about eight years ago. I talked to an Italian family member and he said no, just go to Chicago or New York. I asked about fresh bagels and they said look on the shelf for Pepperidge Farm. That has gotten a little better. I checked seafood and most are either Gulf Coast or breaded and not fresh so I stopped trying. Local food is fine but anything multicultural of coastal is not good. The same holds true for Chinese food.
For the best bagels, try Native Bagel in Berea. They were just rated by a national magazine as having the best in the state! They will be re-opening soon. They are just delicious...chewy, decent-sized, and make excellent breakfast sandwiches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area