Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM

93 posts, read 347,755 times

Advertisements

A rental company has a place available on East High Street. What about Preston St?:Is this part of town safe? Any other feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by Zoe51; 04-21-2008 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Yes, I wouldn't worry about safety there. And you would be near (a short walk from) a good yarn shop with groups and classes, a wonderful urban park with something different every weekend all summer long (art fair, bluegrass festival, ballet under the stars, heritage festival...), a public pool, a YMCA, nice affordable restaurants and coffee houses, 2 fabulous bakeries, a bicycle shop, at least 2 of lexington's best florists, a farmer's market on Saturdays, and many odd and interesting shops. Antique stores, secondhand books, international importers, boutiques, you name it. The Gallery Hop probably has several participating galleries in that neighborhood, including the Singletary Center for the Arts.

You would be close to UK, which is good for hospital and concerts and performances at Singletary, but bad for lots of students. Ask the landlord about parties-does s/he have a lot of student tenants? Noise would be my only concern, and I don't know for a fact whether it would be a problem or not, just something to ask about.

Great find - I hope it works out for you!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
I couldn't have summed it up better myself.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I'm checking it out.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Yes, I wouldn't worry about safety there. And you would be near (a short walk from) a good yarn shop with groups and classes, a wonderful urban park with something different every weekend all summer long (art fair, bluegrass festival, ballet under the stars, heritage festival...), a public pool, a YMCA, nice affordable restaurants and coffee houses, 2 fabulous bakeries, a bicycle shop, at least 2 of lexington's best florists, a farmer's market on Saturdays, and many odd and interesting shops. Antique stores, secondhand books, international importers, boutiques, you name it. The Gallery Hop probably has several participating galleries in that neighborhood, including the Singletary Center for the Arts.

You would be close to UK, which is good for hospital and concerts and performances at Singletary, but bad for lots of students. Ask the landlord about parties-does s/he have a lot of student tenants? Noise would be my only concern, and I don't know for a fact whether it would be a problem or not, just something to ask about.

Great find - I hope it works out for you!
Plus, a short walk from a grocery store (the Kroger on Euclid). That location between downtown and Chevy Chase would be ideal for a person that likes to walk places. I think that would be one of the few locations that a person could comfortably live without a car in Lexington.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
Timelesschild - You give the best information on the forum! Nice job and I agree totally with your thoughts.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Timelesschild - You give the best information on the forum! Nice job and I agree totally with your thoughts.
This is sounding so positive. I'm a walker and will be happy to park my car most of the time. After being in a rural area for so long, it will be fun to be in a neighborhood for a change.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times
Boo - I had a nice long reply and the computer lost it!

Anyway - have you mapquested the actual address? If it is closer to the 100's (near the cross street of Limestone), it will be more in the downtown area of Lexington. This will put you close to the farmer's market, some art galleries, several restaurants, the main branch of the public library, etc. However, it will be more important here to use basic common sense for crime protection (caution when walking alone at night, avoiding panhandlers, etc), although not something that should be a big concern. The higher the address, the more east it is, and the closer to some highly desirable residential areas like Chevy Chase. This has more of a tree-lined neighborhood feel, with great access to Woodland Park, several shops and eateries, Kroger's grocery store, etc.

Preston Ave is an older area filled with many craftsman styled homes and bungalows. The area borders on some streets with lovely grand historic homes, but the immediate neighborhood can be hit or miss. Some people really consider it to be an up and coming area, and there are definitely homes that have been lovingly restored, well-maintained, and attract young professionals, artists, retired UK employees, etc, but other parts are not-so-nice. For what it's worth, I had a coworker that happily lived on Preston for several years with her husband and two small children, and only moved when they relocated out of state. The downside is that, to my knowledge, there isn't really anything walkable as far as restaurants, etc, although there are several shopping centers just a little south on Richmond Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area