Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,478 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Anyone have anything to say about working for UK? Working conditions, pay, general attitude of working for the university? Would love any and all thoughts, stories, concerns, or experiences.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,428 times
cynthia, I have never worked for UK, but have certainly known many people who have/do. I think the biggest complaint across the board has been raises. UK, like many places have been financially strapped. I know there's a large increase in tuition that is still in debate this year and understand that raises for employees is part of that discussion. I think that the individual happiness with the jobs depends on the area and the position. As a nurse, I wouldn't enjoy working in the hospital or the clinic for various reasons. The clinic is total CHAOS IMO and not an environment I would enjoy. Parking anywhere on campus is a challenge of course. Most employees park at the stadium and ride the shuttle. For me, that's a negative too... obviously for many people it isn't. I just don't want to tack on an additional hour to my day trying to get to and from work.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
I worked at UK 10 years ago and loved it. My brother-in-law has been there for 30 years and wouldn't leave if he was begged to.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,085 times
My husband is currently working at UK at the hospital and loves it. I think it all depends on where specifically you are working and with whom because UK is such a huge employer.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
My husband currently works at UK. His biggest complaints seem to be the lack of raises (unless you are important medical personnel, they are not getting a raise at all this year) He pays close to $400 a year to park.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 PM

14 posts, read 54,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Anyone have anything to say about working for UK? Working conditions, pay, general attitude of working for the university? Would love any and all thoughts, stories, concerns, or experiences.

Thanks!!
I have worked for UK for 13 yrs now, and it is somewhat an acquired taste i tell people. I am one of those who will probably die here at my desk, but I don't work for the Hospital-which is somewhat a stigma.when people hear you work at UK they usually assume it is for the Hospital. I am probably more loyal then most people would be but this place has been here for me so i return the favor so to speak. True the raises my area sees leaves a bit to be desired, but the benefits/retirement etc far outway that problem. This year, we won't be getting a raise but they also said they aren't raising the employee rates on the insurance. Plus who else pays 2 to 1 on your retirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area