U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 PM

16 posts, read 107,486 times

Advertisements

If you told me two years ago that I would be moving to Kentucky or any other state for that matter I would have told you, "You’re crazy". It was a business opportunity for my husband that was too good to decline. In addition, in NY we were paying $10,000 annually for property taxes. That was getting a bit discouraging for a house just barely 2,000 sq. ft. In Lexington our house is more than twice the size and we pay 1/3 the taxes than we did in NY.

We decided on Lexington because it was centrally located between two offices that he would be running. We also felt that Lexington was a suburb that had a similar feel to Long Island (Garden City, Rockville Centre, Roslyn…the really nice areas without the exorbitant price) which would make the transition a little less painful.

I’m not sure of your situation but besides it being beautiful, it is a wonderful community to raise children. I find there are more activities for the kids, groups to get involved in, and people are so friendly and eager to make you feel welcomed. I’m sure whatever your situation is this is a great place to call home.

What town on LI did you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

83 posts, read 188,332 times
North Jessamine county is pretty hot right now, and I don't mean Firebrook. In North Jessamine they have just put in a whole subdivision of million dollar homes (one I think went at auction for $2M). Probably half the rich doctors and lawyers reside on Champions Trace golfcourse out here as I see them on the road in their little Porsches all the time. Of courses most of the rich here do not live in subdivisions but on big horse farms. These people are crazy about their horses (the Lexington status symbol). You can find big estates on all sides of the city, in Madison, Woodford, and Scott counties in particular. Haven't been through much of Madison county, but Woodford is packed with high-dollar horsefarms, and Jessamine is about half horsefarm as well. That's where the rich are living.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,716,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc5391 View Post
North Jessamine county is pretty hot right now, and I don't mean Firebrook. In North Jessamine they have just put in a whole subdivision of million dollar homes (one I think went at auction for $2M). Probably half the rich doctors and lawyers reside on Champions Trace golfcourse out here as I see them on the road in their little Porsches all the time. Of courses most of the rich here do not live in subdivisions but on big horse farms. These people are crazy about their horses (the Lexington status symbol). You can find big estates on all sides of the city, in Madison, Woodford, and Scott counties in particular. Haven't been through much of Madison county, but Woodford is packed with high-dollar horsefarms, and Jessamine is about half horsefarm as well. That's where the rich are living.
Madison County is the same way, a lot of big new houses. The Bull Golf Course along the Kentucky River has a lot of really nice homes.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,203,144 times
I wonder where they shop, I don't see alot of toney shopping. There's a nice men's store on Tates Creek that sells Allen-Edmonds dress shoes.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,614 times
Beaumont Reserve and off Delong Road, also there is a nice new subdivision off Brannon Crossing, not sure of the name

Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,478,069 times
Lexington: Andover, Beaumont Centre, Parkers Mill Road, the area just southeast of Univ. of Ky. along Cooper Dr. and Tates Creek Rd.

Woodford County: Huntertown Rd., Versailles southwest bypass

Jessamine County: along US 68, Brannon Road, KY 3360 (?) from US 27 to US 68

Anderson County: Peachtree Estates, Bob O' Link

Franklin County: Duckers Point, Cardwell Lane, Georgetown Road across from Lakeview Park

Madison County: I-75 at exit 97. I think it's called the Bull Golf Course.

Those are all I can think of.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 59,327 times
off richmond road accross from jacobson park.. a friend of ours has a 600k house there, and they are looking at the gated private community that is in the same neighborhood... kinda as it has a full time security guard at the gate to "reserve" area. Really Really nice with green space in your back yard... you might be able to hit a million bucks.

You really need to figure out what you want to do here, a million will get you either a lot or a more than you can handle. North of lexington there is a subdivision (kinda) with 10-20 acre lots and the houses look like they are a million bucks but I really don't know.

You can get a nice historical home or a horse farm with employee's for that price. Or you can live in a 500k house that will be about 4k sq. feet with all the upgrades and pocket 500k, and still be able to sell it if you had to..

Becareful you don't overbuild or overpay here, it will be easy to do here.

South on Harrodsburg road you will see some super houses that our friend said she couldn't even afford, so you may want to look there too.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:25 AM

528 posts, read 2,276,023 times
Bourbon County: Everywhere.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 PM

822 posts, read 2,727,179 times
All of my doctors seem live on acreage in Jessamine County (technically Nicholasville). But if your taste is for older homes and/or being closer in, then zip 40502. Biggest, oldest money: horse farms.PS - I live in Firebrook and mainly love it - it really lowers my blood pressure just to be here. It's sedate. I can't explain it. Even though there are many young children, the kids tend to be older (high school) I assume because of the age of the homes, so for younger families with younger kids and the same budget, Beaumont seems like a good alternative.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM

141 posts, read 493,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Andover Hills and Andover Estates (not gated-has gates, but they never close them)have some awesome lots! If you are ever out this way, drive through the Estate section or Park Ridge and Lake Valley Dr. One of these days I have to have a house with a view of the golf course and the ponds. Gingermill before the Estate section is also very nice.
How far away are these areas from "town"...i.e....how far "outside the circle"? THanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area