U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 PM

10,928 posts, read 8,996,556 times

Advertisements

Kaybay, you might want to start a new thread to get more answers. I think all of Lexington's hospitals would be interested, and the University of Kentucky has a College of Nursing. Other nursing courses are taught at local community colleges as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM

songbird42, I'd add the Southland-Twin Oaks area to your "look list". Houses are somewhat older there, but it's a well-maintained, established neighborhood, with lots of trees, parks (Southland Park has a large, modern pool), good public, private and parochial schools, and shopping in walking distance. Residents range in age considerably, from seniors to young families and some singles. Yards are large and many are fenced, ideal for dogs. The Southland Veterinary Hospital is very close, btw. Many houses have separate garages. There is a three season outdoor farmers' market on Southland Drive on Sundays, with great fresh local produce of all kinds.

You'd be close to the newer Beaumont Center off Harrodsburg Road, Fayette Mall, Lexington Green, with the enormous Joseph-Beth Booksellers plus other good shops and restaurants, and the many other Nicholasville Road stores (including a huge Wal-Mart) and could walk to the older but diverse Southland Drive shopping center. Buses run on Nicholasville and Clays Mill Road, and three hospitals are located within fifteen minutes of the area, as is a good branch library. You can be on New Circle Road in minutes, Man o' War Drive is also close to the Southland area, and downtown is about fifteen or twenty minutes away during morning rush hour under normal conditions. You're on the right side of town for easy access to the airport, to boot, and not that far from both Keeneland and the Red Mile Race Tracks.

Traffic can be a bear on Nicholasville Road during morning and evening rush hours, but otherwise, it's a very convenient neighborhood with little traffic on side streets. There are sidewalks everywhere, making this a good neighborhood for walking.

Most Southland houses closer to Southland Drive are 1950s six or seven room ranches or Cape Cods with three or four bedrooms, usually of brick or fieldstone. Many have fireplaces, hardwood floors, mature trees, basements, attics, and most have one and a half or two baths. Most are very well-maintained, with appropriate interior updates, but few have recent major additions - thus far, look for this to change as the convenience and charm of the neighborhood become more appreciated and the economy improves. I lived in the area for fifteen years, and I miss a lot about it, though I love my family home in Chevy Chase, too...hard choice to have to make.

Most of Lexington's historic sites and organizations welcome volunteers. Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, has a large corps of volunteer docents and gift shop workers and an active training program is offered several times each year, while all volunteers meet once a month for special programs, field trips, or presentations that relate to Henry Clay and/or Ashland's history. McConnell Springs, the tucked-away downtown site of Lexington's founding in 1775, welcomes volunteers to help maintain the small but remarkably "wild" and beautiful park and to work in the visitors' center, and the UK Arboreatum also welcomes volunteers, especially if you have a green thumb or like to work with visiting groups. The Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation maintains several properties, notably Hopemont, the John Hunt Morgan ancestral home in historic Gratz Park in downtown Lexington, and has numerous activities, some of which incorporate volunteers. And the Kentucky Horse Park is actively training LOTS of volunteers for next year's International Horse Event in September, 2010 (sorry, ten-days plus of respiratory bug have done a number on my memory for exact names. International Festival of the Horse, perhaps?? Google Kentucky Horse Park and you'll find it).

The Homestead Exemption property tax break kicks in when homeowners turn 65, I believe.

Lots of vocal music of all kinds is available in central Kentucky, from classical to folk to bluegrass to rock, with a number of local choruses and groups. The Lexington Singers are probably the best known, but they are not the only performing group. Musick's Company, aka the Center for Old Music in the New World, presents several smashing concerts of medieval and renaissance vocal and instrumental music each year, most notably in late December. UK has a fine opera company, and UK, Danville's Centre College's Norton Center for the Performing Arts, Transylvania University, and Berea College all offer a variety of reasonably priced (free in Berea!) concerts and other arts performances of various kinds throughout the year.

It sounds as if you'd fit in well in the Bluegrass and find much to enjoy here. Come check it out!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,716,004 times
Craig Creek, I enjoy reading all your knowledge about Lexington, especially the history.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Thank you. Lexington been my hometown since I was five, though I was born and spent my earliest years in Luavul and have also lived in Cincinnati, Nashville, and near Washington, D.C. But there's something special about the Heart of the Bluegrass...

I hope those of us who are fortunate enough to live here or who are interested in coming here to live or visit understand and appreciate just what a rare place this is (the Bluegrass Region, not just Lexington/Fayette County). Newcomers to the area may not pick up on all the subtleties of life in Central Kentucky initially (or so it often appears from posts here), so I am glad to be able to share what I consider to be useful or of special interest, since I've been here almost all my life.

The rare, fragile natural beauty of this area and its rich history sometimes can be obscured by various manifestations - tangible and intangible - of popular culture these days, but they are what is unique about the Bluegrass, and anyone with an interest in this place would do well to learn about them.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 30,234 times
Default State income tax on pension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
In a couple of weeks, hubby and myself are taking a trip to see if this is where we would like to make our home. Living in Fl right now, between the heat (lack of seasons) real estate taxes and homeowners insurance ($2,000) we're ready for a change. I won't go into what its really like........yuck.

Both of us are over 60, retired and a mixed couple (jewish/catholic) we are not church goers, hubby is retired Fed, I'm retired singer. He has been a volunteer (docent) at several museums in NY and recently an art museum here in FL. and really enjoys it. I do volunteer work.

We're looking for a friendly place, where neighbors say Hi and wave (you won't find it here in Fl) nice parks, book stores (barnes and noble) possibly any museums to volunteer at, and I can't live without a super Walmart. We have a dog so a dog park would be nice, and of course, medical needs such as hospital need to be addressed.

Can someone tell me about the real estate taxes, we're looking around $150,000 and if there are any "senior breaks" on taxes in KY.

Thank you for your time........Songbird42

You should look into the state income tax before you make a move. If the federal pension is more than a certain amount, it will be taxed by the state. I believe the exemption amount is $41,110. The amount does not increase with inflation.

I would suggest that you check out the website RETIREMENT LIVING. The site contains tax info for all of the states.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times
My husband and I are planning to move in April to Richmond Ky. Can you please let me know what it like to live there and if you have housing for 55 and older. My husband works at Home Depot and he wants to keep working when we move. Do you have a Home depot there and if so how close is it to Berea Ky and is there a Sam's Club and Cocso there? What kind of housing there for rent. We are interested in a three bedroom and two bath. My husband has a prosthesis and he needs a bath with a shower and no tub, rather large big bedroom. Can you help me out. I know it is a little early but I am just trying to plan on something. Thanks and have a good day.
Judy

Old 11-01-2009, 04:48 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,716,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend17 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move in April to Richmond Ky. Can you please let me know what it like to live there and if you have housing for 55 and older. My husband works at Home Depot and he wants to keep working when we move. Do you have a Home depot there and if so how close is it to Berea Ky and is there a Sam's Club and Cocso there? What kind of housing there for rent. We are interested in a three bedroom and two bath. My husband has a prosthesis and he needs a bath with a shower and no tub, rather large big bedroom. Can you help me out. I know it is a little early but I am just trying to plan on something. Thanks and have a good day.
Judy
As of now the nearest Home Depot to Richmond is on Richmond Rd in Lexington. Which is about 20 minutes away. But Home Depot had planned to locate at the new Richmond Centre, not sure if that's still the case or not. There's a Sam's Club in Lexington but no Costco. There is a Costco in Louisville though.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 29,514 times
At 65, either of you, your property taxes would be reduced by around $33k (2009 rate) for the Homestead Act. You can count on an average of 1%/1000, e.g. $100,000 would be around $1000+ or so, depending on the district you are in. Ours is a county/city government so taxes are combined. there are countless wonderful areas for seniors, gated, not gated, condos, small homes, townhomes, etc. any realtor would be happy to show you the areas. Sounds as though you would prefer established, older areas. Newer ones tend to have more small children. I can recommend Chad Helm of Rector Hayden Realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area