U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:53 AM

6 posts, read 19,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Kentucky from Seattle. Hubby has family in Louisville but we want to be near Lexington. I found a house on the internet we might fly down to see real soon. Hubby is in construction and installs vinyl and laminate flooring and formica counter tops. Does anyone know if he will be able to get work in Lexington? The home we like is in Harrodsburg. It looks like a 30 mile drive to Lexington. How many minutes will that take to drive each morning? 30 miles in Seattle takes about 1 1/2 hours!!!! CRAZY!!!!
Please help us make or decision to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 AM

486 posts, read 1,734,317 times
Welcome to Kentucky! Harrodsburg is about a 40 minute drive from Lexington and traffic will never be as bad here as it is in Seattle.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:57 AM

29 posts, read 91,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyspeaches View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Kentucky from Seattle. Hubby has family in Louisville but we want to be near Lexington. I found a house on the internet we might fly down to see real soon. Hubby is in construction and installs vinyl and laminate flooring and formica counter tops. Does anyone know if he will be able to get work in Lexington? The home we like is in Harrodsburg. It looks like a 30 mile drive to Lexington. How many minutes will that take to drive each morning? 30 miles in Seattle takes about 1 1/2 hours!!!! CRAZY!!!!
I'm wondering the same thing - my hubby is a tile/stone installer - can anyone tell us how the industry is doing?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,497,124 times
New construction is waaaaay down from 2005. From what I have heard and read, remodelling is on the upswing. Here is a link to a graph for how new construction has done over the past few years. The graph is for all the new construction houses listed on the MLS. The report just came out this week. Hope it helps to answer your question. http://info.rhr.com/RH_Report/Report...10&Page_End=10

Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM

29 posts, read 91,504 times
That definitely helps - thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
Most of the population growth & new construction is in the Hamburg area of Lexington and Scott, Madison, & Jessamine counties.

Mercer Co borders Jessamine, but the other fast growing areas are a bit further away. H'burg would minute-wise be as close to many of the fast growing outlying counties of Louisville such as Nelson, Spencer, & Shelby.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,944 times
Smile From seattlegirl61

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyspeaches View Post
Hi Friends....We moved to KY from IN in 2001 & LOVE IT! KY continues to see low foreclosure rates and job market is still decent. Spring is almost here which means people want to remodel or sell/buy a home. As a realtor, one of the things I hear when meeting people who may want to list their house is, what do I need to do to update it? People are always remodeling, or planning to move so they need people in your husband's field of experise. ALSO, keep in mind that realtors are always looking for good people who can do what your husband does, especially when homeowners of vacant homes needs things updated AND 9 times out of 10 they'll refer the services they used (i.e. your husband's) to other reatlors AND people needing to update their home! That being said, there is always work to be done in your husband's field...it just takes knowing who needs what. Let me know if I can help with your move, home search OR ideas for companies for Hubby! Sister in Sumner...going there in summer! Let me know if you decide to come to KY!

Last edited by Seattlegirl61; 03-08-2009 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,944 times
Default You can take the girl out of Seattle...but!

Hi Friends....We moved to KY from IN in 2001 & LOVE IT! KY continues to see low foreclosure rates and job market is still decent. Spring is almost here which means people want to remodel or sell/buy a home. As a realtor, one of the things I hear when meeting people who may want to list their house is, what do I need to do to update it? People are always remodeling, or planning to move so they need people in your husband's field of experise. ALSO, keep in mind that realtors are always looking for good people who can do what your husband does, especially when homeowners of vacant homes needs things updated AND 9 times out of 10 they'll refer the services they used (i.e. your husband's) to other reatlors AND people needing to update their home! That being said, there is always work to be done in your husband's field...it just takes knowing who needs what. Let me know if I can help with your move, home search OR ideas for companies for Hubby! Sister in Sumner...going there in summer! Let me know if you decide to come to KY!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,155 times
I too am considering relocating to Kentucky from New Jersey. I will be bringing along 4 horses, 3 goats and 3 dogs........Looking for a small farm.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what areas are decent? I wouldnt have to worry about school since my kids are grown. Thanks for the input!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,716,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydream View Post
I too am considering relocating to Kentucky from New Jersey. I will be bringing along 4 horses, 3 goats and 3 dogs........Looking for a small farm.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what areas are decent? I wouldnt have to worry about school since my kids are grown. Thanks for the input!!
Decent areas? Well, most areas around Lexington are. There's farms all around Lexington. You have tons of cookie cutter homes next to lots and lots of farm land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or