U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 08:56 AM

76 posts, read 60,028 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking at Zillow recently sold listings, I found a few real nice properties on wooded acreage, Lexington address, $400-500k range. What's the deal with that area? Looks gorgeous from the pix. Is it hard to get from there to shopping? Like distance to the closest Sam's Club is fairly short, but google maps is showing it as a 30min drive.

While I have you guys, a couple more questions. The neighboring towns around Lexington, like Nicholasville, Versailles, or Paris...do they have their own shopping, or do people usually commute into Lexington for big box stores like Sams/Costco, Home Depot, etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 02:53 PM

11,019 posts, read 22,470,346 times
Richmond, Nicholasville, and Georgetown have a lot of their own shopping. The rest have a decent number of restaurants and their own big box retailers but not to the same level as the other three.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 PM

11,816 posts, read 9,736,637 times
Land along the Kentucky River in Central Kentucky may be either very steep scenic limestone bluffs ("The Palisades") and heavily wooded, or in the flat, narrow flood plain along the river itself. Land along the many beautiful tributary streams may be reasonably priced and taxes tend to be low, as such wooded, rugged land is nonetheless classed as agricultural. Recreational value of undeveloped land seems to be discounted. Of course, if you add a cabin or cottage, taxes rise.

For years there has been talk of creating a Kentucky River Palisades State Park near Camp Nelson, but it's still in the talking-about stage as far as I can determine, though there are a couple of large nature preserves nearby, one on each side of the river.

There are also rustic fishing "camps" and weekend cottages and cabins in various places along the river, many of them having been in the same families for years.

As for shopping, no worries. Wally World is in almost all of the smaller towns which circle Lexington. Good roads connect Lexington with all of these towns, and as for the Kentucky River, I-75 crosses at Clay's Ferry, about 12 or 15 miles from Lexington, with exits very close to the summer cottage area, and U.S. 27 crosses the river just below Camp Nelson- again, with easy access to cabins and nature preserves, and also close to Herrington Lake. Danville is southwest of this area, with a full assortment of big boxes, and Nicholasville is just to the north, again with adequate shopping.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Guys, thanks much for the info. Here's one recently sold property we're starry eyed over: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...91583972_zpid/ All I could say is, simply wow!

Anywhere else in the area we could find something like that? We would want something like that, scenic area, woodsy acreage (doesn't have to be 10, but at least a couple-3), a newer house with vaulted ceilings, not far from shopping, and fairly close to Lexington (or in Lexington proper like that listing up there). One important factor, we don't want to live in hicksville. Any pointers on that?

We're in the Chicago area, and actually kind of live like that now. We have a few acres, newer home, etc. But, are looking for the future...more affordable taxes, slightly better weather but with still 4 seasons, and a lot of the other stuff I found about while researching central KY.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:14 PM

636 posts, read 1,134,875 times
Try LBAR.com too!

Old 10-29-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
Try LBAR.com too!
Yup, I've been on there. Before posting this thread, I've already read quite a few posts on the Lex forum here on City-Data, saw the lbar.com mentioned.

We're not quite there yet though, it will be a couple years still until we do any sort of move anywhere. But we are going to go out there early next year to check things out. What I'm asking now is where do we concentrate during our scouting mission, based on what we're looking for?

To add to the criteria, besides being close to shopping, we'd like to also be a fairly short ride from either Lexington or one of the nearby towns that has shops and cafes and that sort of thing...like scenic town stuff is what I mean.

As for shopping nearby, we'd like a Walmart, a Sam's Club or Costco, HD or Menards or Lowes (seems there's a lot of Lowes in that area per google maps), some sort of farmy-type store like Tractor Supply, and a UPS and FedEx (I need those for business, especially UPS). Harbor Freight would be nice too.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:02 PM

Hmm, not a whole lot of movement on the Lexington corner of C-D. Well, thanks to those who responded.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 447 times
Former Chicagoans here that moved to N’ville 11 yrs ago. The pluses: beautiful part of the country, horse farms, rolling hills. Weather is great. N’ville has every store that you mentioned. Not familiar with any properties here that are as scenic as the one on Zillow. Perhaps get in touch with the realtor that had it listed & he/she could give you info on similar properties? There are some million dollar McMansions along Harrodsburg Rd. but nothing with views of Ky River. The culture shock coming from Chicago to N’ville is huge. Main Street here is run down & you mentioned a “hickish” factor, well it’s here. The further east in the state is even more so & the western part of the state is more urban. We like Lexington better than N’ville but a city doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for. People from Jessamine Co. that want some land seem to be moving to the Winchester area. Hope this is of some help. You’ve already received some good replies.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:25 AM

It does help TN619, thanks!

Old 11-23-2020, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 447 times
Wishing you luck with your potential relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area