U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 07:41 PM

688 posts, read 296,851 times

Advertisements

Really considering Lexington, KY area as my next home in life. BUT, want to determine whether it will be a viable fit. For me, it seems a good balance of weather, culture, amenities. I stayed a few nights in the area (late 2020), and came to liking it.

I'm a young (early 30s), single guy, no family and no kids. I grew up in PA (so used to the cold), and lived 5+ years along the Gulf Coast (know all about very hot, extremely humid summers). Location seems ideal - family lives in SW PA.

A few more questions:

1. Where do you recommend living? I plan on renting an apartment. Not ready to buy a home just yet.

2. Ideally I would like to meet a young, single lady. Any hypotheses on what the dating market is like in the area? Positive or negative outlook for single men? I'm guessing not too bad because of the universities in the area.

3. Where are the top places to socialize in the area? .not really a church goer.

4. My background/working experience is in science fields, mostly laboratory settings. I've worked in Research & Development as a well as Quality Control/Assurance.

Any advice pertaining to there questions is greatly appreciated any any other advice regarding the area, city, state, etc. is appreciated too. You can also PM me if that is easier.

Thanks a bunch!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 03:39 PM

9,276 posts, read 5,063,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Really considering Lexington, KY area as my next home in life. BUT, want to determine whether it will be a viable fit. For me, it seems a good balance of weather, culture, amenities. I stayed a few nights in the area (late 2020), and came to liking it.

I'm a young (early 30s), single guy, no family and no kids. I grew up in PA (so used to the cold), and lived 5+ years along the Gulf Coast (know all about very hot, extremely humid summers). Location seems ideal - family lives in SW PA.

A few more questions:

1. Where do you recommend living? I plan on renting an apartment. Not ready to buy a home just yet.
Hard to say...do you want to live in a downtown location or a location out in the suburbs?
Would you like to be close to bars, restaurants, buslines? Or do you prefer something more rural?

2. Ideally I would like to meet a young, single lady. Any hypotheses on what the dating market is like in the area? Positive or negative outlook for single men? I'm guessing not too bad because of the universities in the area.
I have no idea on the single scene in Lexington. Somebody was on here a few years ago complaining about the dating scene (...but maybe that was just them?) Yes, there are several Universities, so I would think the dating scene wouldn't be too bad.
3. Where are the top places to socialize in the area? .not really a church goer.
Depends on your interests I guess....Probably restaurants, bars, theatres, the Parks, The Arboretum, Raven Run
There is the Horse park and Keenland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48sj2pluWs&t=35s
4. My background/working experience is in science fields, mostly laboratory settings. I've worked in Research & Development as a well as Quality Control/Assurance.
The job scene is pretty good in Lexington (at least it use to be before the Covid thing....not sure anymore.)
Any advice pertaining to there questions is greatly appreciated any any other advice regarding the area, city, state, etc. is appreciated too. You can also PM me if that is easier.
Kentucky is really great especially if you are interested in hiking, nature...lots of parks, forests, lakes, etc.
Thanks a bunch!!
You bet! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTCR9VvAQ0

Old 01-11-2021, 07:44 AM

898 posts, read 728,751 times
Keep in mind that Lexington is still very much a college town. When school is not in session it is dead in my opinion. You might want to give Louisville a chance.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:53 AM

688 posts, read 296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Keep in mind that Lexington is still very much a college town. When school is not in session it is dead in my opinion. You might want to give Louisville a chance.
Hmm, thanks. What is your opinion on Louisville? I've been through there a few times, seems like the traffic is worse. Not that it ultimately matters, though. Do you feel they are comparable cities?

Old 01-28-2021, 10:32 AM

11,819 posts, read 9,736,637 times
Louisville is considerably larger than Lexington, and has more of an Upper-South/Midwestern Border vibe. Its downtown area is livelier than Lexington (normally), and includes many museums and other cultural attractions. Since it's larger, traffic is heavier, but outside of rush hour, downtown is easily accessible via I-64.

Louisville also has many beautiful parks that are well-used and much appreciated by its residents.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:07 PM

9,276 posts, read 5,063,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Louisville is considerably larger than Lexington, and has more of an Upper-South/Midwestern Border vibe. Its downtown area is livelier than Lexington (normally), and includes many museums and other cultural attractions. Since it's larger, traffic is heavier, but outside of rush hour, downtown is easily accessible via I-64.

Louisville also has many beautiful parks that are well-used and much appreciated by its residents.

Great information from CraigCreek!
I live in Lexington, but grew up in Louisville.
Both are great places to live. I would encourage you to visit both, because they are both very different in their own ways.
I do have to say that Louisville's parks are second to none. And Louisville is much larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area