U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 49,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDavis View Post
Thanks to both of you.

Stephanie, so you don't like my odds of having a reasonable commute if I work from 6am to 4pm?

This is really too bad because Wilmore sounds like an extremely nice place to live.
if you would have to BE at work at 6am, which means you'd leave home about 5:15 or so, i would think that is ok. especially getting off at 4 you beat the 5pm norm.
I work @ uk, what area you going to work for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 AM

26 posts, read 81,401 times
LEXpert (and a few others I can't recall by name) were right on.

(I found Lebrady's post off topic - poster/DBD had a question about commute from Wilmore to UK - Lebrady's response sounded like a sales post. Isn't than banned from this board?)

We live in Wilmore and do this drive all the time. It is not bad (but to get an idea before you move, I encourage you to drive it both directions at peak times and during the hours you would make the commute - just so you get a feel for what it is like).

Take 68/Harrodsburg Road and then cut over to Nicholasville Road when you are closer in town to UK, and you will be fine. I RARELY go on to Lexington via Nicholasville Road, unless it is off peak.

I can't imagine any problems leaving at 6:00am in the morning. I try to avoid commuting between 7-9am and 3:30-6:30pm. You will have a longer commute if you leave at 4:00p, but still nothing like what I have experienced driving through Nashville. If you could leave at 3:30, you'd be even better off. During off peak times, I can get from Wilmore to the Beaumont YMCA (just outside New Circle Road) in 20 minutes. Most of the time, we allow 30-45 minutes to get most places in Lexington (30 for Fayette Mall, 40-45 to Hamburg), but if you catch the lights right and traffic is down it can go faster.

It used to be that Harrodsburg Road had very little "give" on the the sides with some bends in the road and trees right off the road (no real "shoulder"). This was often dangerous for travelers in rain or in the evenings, and deadly crashes are not unheard of. However, they are currently widening the rest of Harrodsburg almost to Wilmore, so a lot of that concern is being bulldozed and redesigned.

As long as you don't mind driving into town with rising gas prices (we go into Lexington for church, groceries, entertainment...etc.), then Wilmore is a great place to live. There is a small grocery and dollar store in town, but it is really more for an emergency stop (mid recipe - need an egg). Make sure you look at the expiration dates on the food at the small grocery before you buy!

We have talked about moving into Lexington many times (which led to my visitation on this board), but aren't ready to give up the small town charm in Wilmore. The quaint 4th of July parade (I need to upload pictures to the city-data page), Downtown Christmas celebration, and other community events are like out of a small town movie. Crime is relatively low, last I heard the majority of calls into the police station are domestic disturbance. I feel safe walking around town and through neighborhoods.

Stop by Sim's drugstore (downtown) if you visit the area. They have an old-fashioned soda fountain with delicious milkshakes and pizza. There is a new BBQ restaurant that just opened, but we haven't made it there yet.

I know that Jessamine County schools get a bad rap on the board sometimes (and this may be deserving), but I have never head anything but praise regarding the elementary school in Wilmore. After elementary, Wilmore students go into Nicholasville for middle and high school, which may be where things go downhill - I am not sure. We don't have children yet, but for resale and future family needs, we plan to check this out before we buy.

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area