U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 AM

30 posts, read 70,370 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My family and I are moving to Lexington in August. I'll be working at UK. We're considering Wilmore, but I've read a sentence or two around here about how the commute is bad.

Is it that bad? How is the commute during non-rush hour? For example, I used to live in Nashville and had a horrible commute there also IF I left for work after about 6:30. I started getting to work at 6:15-6:30 and the commute was easy. Would this help for the Wilmore commute? I can get to work whenever I please, so I'm considering a work day that's something like 6:00 to 4:00.

Thanks in advance.
DBD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,102 times
Hello,
I was reading your post and saw how you are relocating to the Lexington area. I have lived in the area my whole life so I would be happy to help you answer any questions you have. I also work for an extended stay property and would love to help you and your family with a place to stay while you are searching for a home or during the big move! Good Luck with everything!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 AM

714 posts, read 1,415,790 times
If it's a straight shot with no traffic, you are looking at 25 minutes. Here is the problem...Nicholasville is the most used and congested road in Lexington. This is the road you would you to get to UK from Wilmore. It's a nightmare and there are no backroads to take, they take just as long....SO ....if you are working odd hours...maybe..BUT this road is ALWAYS busy during the day and early evening...Sometimes you will sit in traffic forever...

I would go drive it one day and see what you think. My best guess with the traffic is about 45 minutes and don't forget you have to park and walk...whew...I don't know, maybe your up for it!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 AM

30 posts, read 70,370 times
Thanks to both of you.

Stephanie, so you don't like my odds of having a reasonable commute if I work from 6am to 4pm?

This is really too bad because Wilmore sounds like an extremely nice place to live.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:03 AM

10,226 posts, read 21,708,249 times
Rush hour traffic on inbound Harrodsburg Rd can really back up. US 68 at KY 169 also backs up since many people commute from Nicholasville to Lexington that way

Work is also just now begin to widen US 68 in Jessamine Co from Brannon Rd to the 'Y' intersection at KY 29. Right now US 68 is a very scenic but not very safe roadway with a lot of traffic

Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM

969 posts, read 2,497,319 times
I don't think you will have any problem with traffic that early in the morning. Traffic starts heating up in Lexington about 7:AM. If I lived in Wilmore I would use Harrodsburg Rd. (US 68) to get to UK. Coming home will take you longer, but at 4:PM you will be ahead of the worst of it. Even then, I bet it will be better than Nashville!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:30 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,543,374 times
I agree that Harrodsburg Road is the way to go. Many people live in Wilmore and commute to Lexington. If you are working at UK, come on in on Harrodsburg Road and turn right on Virginia. That seems to be the fastest route consistently.

With that said, I wouldn't do it. The road is a narrow country road (although the widening efforts take the 4-lane out further and further each little bit), and it can get to be a grind. That's just my personal opinion, though, based on the fact that I have a gas-hog SUV that isn't any fun to drive on a narrow country road. :P In a reasonable car with reasonable gas mileage, it could be fun and relaxing.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:00 PM

820 posts, read 2,641,412 times
I, too, agree that to alter your hours shouldn't make the commute too horrible to handle. I don't really consider #68 to be a winding or narrow country road. It is a two lane and I guess country road, but far from being what I consider narrow. A very pleasant drive IMO.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 PM

969 posts, read 2,497,319 times
I second that opinion. Unless it is one of about 8 days a year where we have snow of ice, it is a pleasant drive. Much more enjoyable than the stop and go of Man O War!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,708,249 times
DBDavis, if you haven't ever been to Wilmore it is a great small town with a college town feel to it, being home to the Seminary. It doesn't have much shopping, but Nicholasville has tons of that about 5 miles away.

If you're in the area you should check out the steamboat ride on the KY River at Shaker Landing (Part of Shakertown of Pleasant Hill). It's only $5!!!

http://www.shakervillageky.org/i/dow...rboat_Info.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area