Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,795 times

Advertisements

Hello
My fiancé, dog and myself are moving to Kentucky as part of a promotion in my work.
However, I've never been on KY before aside the Louisville airport so I literally have no idea how the living is down there.
We are Mexican living on San Diego, CA. so do you have any advice for us on this movement?
My work location will be in Georgetown, however I heard that many people working there actually live on Lexington, so do you have any neighborhoods that you recommend for us? My dog is big so I'm thinking on a house instead of an apartment, you know for him to have a nice backyard to run and play

All advices for us will be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 01:39 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
I would recommend Lexington as well, but Scott County (where Georgetown is) is growing pretty rapidly. There is a major Toyota assembly plant in Georgetown as well (not sure if that is what brings you here?). If you stay in Georgetown, Lexington and its amenities are about 20-30 minutes south (30 minutes probably to the Fayette Mall on the south side off New Circle Road). Cincinnati would be about 1-1.25 hours north, putting you closer to a major metro (bigger than Louisville, with pro sports in Football, Baseball and Soccer). From Lexington proper to my place inside I-275 beltway, it is about 1.25-1.5 hours. Georgetown is between the two, so I am guessing the 1-1.25 hour range in good traffic. You can cover MUCH more distance here in time vs. Socal. Also, airport access to CVG in Northern KY is about 1 hour from Georgetown, offering cheap flights on Delta, Frontier and Allegiant to LA and LAS. Delta would offer connections to SAN I would imagine.

Lexington, which covers all of Fayette County to the south, would be decent. If you are younger, places closer to the university may interest you more, with trendy local restaurants shops and bars. Lot size might be the biggest issue. There are some lovely historic homes around the Henry Clay Estate in Ashland, between Richmond Road and UK. The NE side of Richmond Road the homes are smaller but many have been renovated. My aunt is likely selling her remodeled and expanded bungalow with a garage apartment for 450-500K. So if that gives you an idea of pricing. The SW side of Richmond Road in Ashland are easily high 6 and into the 7 figure range. But the homes are large and very nice. Commute from this area is probably 30 minutes due to the amount of surface streets.

If you want a more quiet scene, I would look further into the suburbs, potentially in Lexington's Hamburg area. The areas I would focus on are around and south of Man O War Blvd. Lots of shopping as well at Man O War and I-75. Commute from here would be about 20 minutes. Also, suburban Versailles out in horse country is really beautiful. Woodford County has some well regarded schools, so if you plan to start a family, it may be a good choice. Commute from Versailles proper would probably be at least 30 minutes.

For Mexican staples, I imagine there are places to find (can't recommend anything personally). There is quite a decent Hispanic population in the area with the horse farms. With that, I imagine you will find Mexican and Central American focused grocers and restaurants.

Expect weather to be pleasant in the spring and fall. Winters will be colder and grayer for you, but almost anywhere outside the SW USA will be that way in comparison to San Diego. It does not seem as pervasive as it does further north in the Great Lakes region as that part of KY typically avoids the Lake Effect clouds and snow. However, be wary of ice storms. Never drive in them and stock up if the weather calls for ice. The cold probably only lasts for two to three months tops. Summers can be hot and humid. Probably a month or two in the upper 80s and 90s with some days approaching 100 depending on the year. But humidity is much more pronounced in this part of the country versus Socal. If you are further inland in San Diego, the heat will be familiar and it will be humidity being the primary difference. The weather, both the heat and cold, will be harsher if you are closer to coastal areas in San Diego were the weather is more temperate from the Pacific. Overall, it will be an adjustment but people do it all the time (and not just here) so it is just finding things out ahead of time (like avoiding ice).

The countryside is much, much greener here versus Socal. There is not a lot of greenery in SoCal and much of what is there is artificial. You will be shocked with the rolling hills and pastures of horse country. It is one of the things I like about the area. Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck with the move!

Old 02-26-2021, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,795 times
Hey thank you so much, such a wonderful reply! I'm actually a little concerned about the ice Have never faced that before, aside that everything else sounds super exciting!!! I'm really looking forward for the movement! I really appreciate all the advice you gave me on the areas. Thank You!

Old 02-27-2021, 01:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Ice storms don't occur each winter - perhaps one minor one every five years, and one big one that shuts things down every ten years. We've just endured a big ice storm which was followed by two more winter storms (bringing snow as well as ice), so maybe we're okay for the next five years! Just kidding, no one can predict that far in advance.

Central Kentucky is beautiful most of the time, with rolling green pastures, tree-lined narrow country roads, miles and miles of drystone walls, and thoroughbred horses living on pristine horse farms.

The mountains of eastern and southeastern Kentucky begin about 45 minutes down the road from Lexington, and offer a big change of scenery from the pristine Inner Bluegrass. Spring wildflowers and dogwoods and redbuds are beautiful in the mountains, as is the fall color. Hiking, picnicking, canoeing and kayaking, plus rock-climbing is popular in the Red River Gorge, which is located in the Daniel Boone National Forest, about an hour away from Lexington and is noted for its rock formations and natural bridges and arches.

University of Kentucky basketball is huge here, and you'll see lots and lots of Wildcat Blue being worn here, not just during basketball season. We have two race tracks in Lexington, Keeneland, with spring and fall meets for thoroughbred racing, and the Red Mile, which offers harness racing. The Kentucky Horse Park is close to both Lexington and Georgetown, and is a must-see for visitors or new residents.

If you can arrange to visit before you actually move to Kentucky, you'd get a better idea of distances and neighborhoods which might suit you and be convenient for work.

Welcome to the Bluegrass!

Old 03-01-2021, 05:37 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
If I was working in Georgetown, I’d probably be living in Georgetown. You can probably do without the hassle of traffic. Of course having commuted in San Diego the traffic will seem to be nothing no matter where you go.

Compared to San Diego, KY weather will be dreadful except for Spring. Biggest issue with ice are the other drivers. So short commute equals short exposure. Just my two cents but I haven’t lived in that area for quite a while. My niece and her family live in Georgetown so I get to visit a bit though. And my son is in Lexington and works at the Hamburg Verizon store. He doesn’t complain about the traffic there.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:32 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
If I was working in Georgetown, I’d probably be living in Georgetown. You can probably do without the hassle of traffic. Of course having commuted in San Diego the traffic will seem to be nothing no matter where you go.

Compared to San Diego, KY weather will be dreadful except for Spring. Biggest issue with ice are the other drivers. So short commute equals short exposure. Just my two cents but I haven’t lived in that area for quite a while. My niece and her family live in Georgetown so I get to visit a bit though. And my son is in Lexington and works at the Hamburg Verizon store. He doesn’t complain about the traffic there.
Only Spring? I would have thought Autumn would be alright even if chilly. Does the area get nice fall colors?

I was born and raised So. Cal most of my life and recently moved to Vancouver, Washington. Some people can't take the rain here, but I'm fine with it. I do like changing seasons. I would love to visit Kentucky some day.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Only Spring? I would have thought Autumn would be alright even if chilly. Does the area get nice fall colors?

I was born and raised So. Cal most of my life and recently moved to Vancouver, Washington. Some people can't take the rain here, but I'm fine with it. I do like changing seasons. I would love to visit Kentucky some day.
Fall in Kentucky is gorgeous and it is by far my favorite season.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:34 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Fall is my favorite season also.
I love the change of seasons, each is so beautiful in its own way.
Late Summer gets to me though, its too hot and humid (I have asthma and allergies)
I adapt by going out early early in the morning or late at night.
Staying inside where it is air conditioned the other parts of day.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:20 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
If you can tolerate Ore weather you can tolerate Ky weather. I find them both to be dreadful in my old age. Not enough sunny days. Check the almanac data. Ky and Ore trends like London in terms of sunny days. And you know how people complain about London.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:29 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
If you can tolerate Ore weather you can tolerate Ky weather. I find them both to be dreadful in my old age. Not enough sunny days. Check the almanac data. Ky and Ore trends like London in terms of sunny days. And you know how people complain about London.
I would think, you are referring to London, England because if you are talking about London Kentucky, the weather is perfect in London Kentucky.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area