U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 06:30 AM

52 posts, read 28,698 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys so much! I will check out everything, and try to plan our visit around things we’d like to do on a whim if we lived there. Just yesterday, I took the day off and we all went down to Letchworth State Park. Granted this would be a good place for cooling off, there was still snow on the ground LOL and sadly, many people have died there over the years in the river/falls. I don’t let my kids get within 50 feet of that water! But, there are these little Brooks throughout the woods that pose no risk, although you have all got me thinking about water quality… Never really gave much thought to that as irresponsible as that may sound… Our beaches here have daily water forecast and sometimes they close based on bacteria, but I never thought of farm runoff in little creeks.

Basically what we are looking for is a place that has a month or so last winter, and it’s other winter months not 10+ feet of snow, a little bit longer of a summer but not something hot and sticky like the Carolinas. We would like to be able to have a couple acres and absolutely positively a 40 x 60 barn or so, and not a particularly fancy house but as a family of five going on six, we’d like what we’ve got now: 2100 ft.² and a basement we can use as a recreation area. We would like to be somewhat in the country… We are into old cars and like to leave our home and immediately find country roads to Cruise… I couldn’t handle living somewhere like Boca Raton (we lived there way before kids and hot rods) for my hobby and personal preferences… I like more space. I would however find it equally inconvenient to live more than 25 minutes from “everything.” Currently I guess we have it made… We live in an area that’s almost all farms, but on a winding road with creeks and golf courses (not the ritzy side of town though) within 1/ third of a mile of our house our country roads where are you can’t tell it’s not still the 1930s. 17 minutes away by Highway with a little traffic is the city of Rochester (19 minutes) and about nine minutes away is a decently developed canal town with dining, Walmart, running’s tractor supply etc. The downside: crazy taxes politics in winter!

That said, I would really like to find something similar… I would like to be within a 20 or 30 minute drive from my city that has all I need, but far enough out that I can’t tell it’s there. Not far from a tiny town that has the basics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:03 AM

920 posts, read 748,648 times
Have you looked at Bardstown area? Not too far from Nolin and Rough River lake, full of history and bourbon.

Old Today, 06:41 AM

52 posts, read 28,698 times
Noted! Small chance I’ll be down there this week. Will be in Sandusky OH (lord willing) and it’s only a 5 hour drive from there. I want to pin some houses for sale on Zillow and then drive by and see the areas, plus check out al the stuff y’all listed within 90mins. Will be a very good idea of how life there will be

In a nut shell we want tiny town living 10
Minutes from a Walmart:McDonald’s (if not for them, for all the converse that’s always near them) 25 minutes from a city I don’t know exists on til 20 minutes into the drive toward it

Old Today, 11:28 AM

8,844 posts, read 14,280,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1987 View Post
In a nut shell we want tiny town living 10
Minutes from a Walmart:McDonald’s (if not for them, for all the converse that’s always near them) 25 minutes from a city I don’t know exists on til 20 minutes into the drive toward it
Drew, I got a laugh from a memory when you mentioned the distance to a Walmart. When my wife was a civilian employee at Ft. Campbell, Ky., a coworker was doing a lot of research. Her husband was retiring from the Army and had several job offers from companies that did contract work for the military. She was getting online and checking all the places he had offers and the distance of that town to a Walmart. She told him she didn't want to go to Montana. Closest Walmart was over an hour away. They settled in Arizona. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area