U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,459 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Lexington in August as I am starting grad school. The catch: I am in my 30's and married with a 9 yo and 2 yo. We are trying to find a low cost house (can be fixer upper) but need a safe neighborhood where the kids can play outside with a decent/good school for the 9 yo. We keep finding many houses that fit our description but they tend to cluster around Castlewood Park. Is there something wrong with this area? I've tried searching and the only info I can find is about the historic home there. Is it an unsavory neighborhood? I definitely need to avoid any areas that are high in crime, drugs, gangs, or any other "big" city problems. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 49,904 times
the area itself is not too bad. just depends how close to Loudon Ave or "East End" you are. Directly across from the park isn't too bad, I have a friend who's family owns and lives in a few homes there.

if you get down on Loudon Ave or just below it the area gets sketchy.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:36 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,482 times
For the most part I would avoid Castlewood Park. It's personal preference, but to me there are other more historic areas that are much safer.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM

820 posts, read 2,641,616 times
gwennyj,
I agree with dpacquin. The area can be challenging in finding a safer area. It's a very mixed bag and very diverse in the area. I have a friend that has lived across from the park for years. Her house is converted into two homes and a police officer lives there, but she's never had any problems. I'm not sure of the school districts for the area. The park isn't a place where you'd let your oldest play unattended and there are areas of Castlewood that I wouldn't want to live in.... others I would feel more safe in. There are some beautiful historic homes, but some very run down rental ones as well. It's just a big mixed bag. If you were my friend - I'd probably suggest you look elsewhere rather than risk finding a good fit.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:04 PM

969 posts, read 2,497,436 times
That area is kind of hit or miss. There are some decent pockets and there are some that are really bad. Be sure to check out the sex offender registry............I counted 7 in that neighborhood just from the streets I recognized.

If you are considering this area, I assume you are looking for under $100,000?? It is hard to find anything in a good area in that price range. These would be my picks if I were in your situation: Idle hour, the second/third block of Kenwick, some of the neighborhoods off Byran Station Rd. outside New Circle, The neighborhood off Paris Pike (AKA North Broadway) past the interstate (Judy Lane.) None of these are great, but in my opinion, they are the best areas that are in that price range.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,543,645 times
Castlewood is a very pretty area-the craftsman houses are real treasures- but I have to agree with the other voices on its sketchiness. I am not sure of its school district for your 9 year old, but you can do better for a family-safe neighborhood. In addition to lexpert's very good suggestions, you could try the 40504 zip code, closer to Harrodsburg Road than Versailles Road. Picadome and Garden Springs are both decent elementary schools (I am not sure about James Lane Allen elem, but maybe someone else knows), and Beaumont is a good middle school, if you will be in Lexington that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area