U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 AM

39 posts, read 96,804 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine does dog rescue work, and I'm trying to help where I can. I no longer live in Kentucky, but I think people should know what's going on with Grant County...

First off, the shelter is run by inmates. For quite awhile, they didn't even try to adopt off dogs that were dropped there. They simply had the vet come once a month and kill them all. That's the way they operated. Two great women started volunteering and actually found HOMES for many of the dogs (imagine!) despite the shelter's inconvenient hours and general lack of interest.

Now, here's the emergency: On June 4th or 5th, they're having a spay/neuter clinic. They need the cages that the animals currently occupy, so their solution is to kill them all. Because they need space. For one day. If you can take a dog for a day, you can save a life... My friend is going to board all of the dogs who don't find a temporary home. If you can help with that, that would be GREAT, too (that's what I plan to do). The next day there will be space at the shelter again, so there's no permanent commitment.

It just seems like a horrible shame to put down all of these healthy dogs because they need space for one day. If you can help, DM me, and I'll give you additional info.

Thanks!
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 AM

714 posts, read 1,415,677 times
You should contact Peta...seriously. Also, my friend is the marketing director at the Lexington Humane Society. This would never happen here, the only way they put animals down in Lexington is if they are aggressvie or have extremely bad health. Also, Woodford Coutny has a no kill shelter. This does not sound normal to me. I would call the local news and tell them too...people will help when they are told that help is needed. I don't know where grant county is but I will look it up, if it's close I will try to help. Hell, if its in Kentucky I would call the Lexington and Louisville news someone will listen. And someone will help.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM

714 posts, read 1,415,677 times
ok I had to post again....this kind of stuff really bothers me. I have participated in dog rescues as far as transports. BUT I never know where they end up and always hope it was the right thing to do. This is what I am going to suggest to you...because I almost drive myself crazy sometimes trying to save animals and I don't want anyone else to feel like that. My friend at the lexington humane society even travels to other shelters to try to help them understand the process of fund raising and how to do it, how to sustain a shelter and what it takes to get the dogs adopted. She is able to do this because of the success of the fund raising they do and the support from the community. I just participated in a walk this past weekend. The Mutt Strutt. I think what you are doing by trying to save the dogs for a day is great and I think making it happen would be awesome. BUT if you want to help I would support any no kill shelter in fund raising and maybe go talk to some of the successful shelters that are able to get the dogs adopted. Maybe they could partner with a shelter to help to move toward a permanent solution. (I know you don't live here) This is for anyone involved to read. It really starts with fundraising and letting the public know that the dogs are there to be adopted, apparently many people don't know that they can go to the shelter to adopt...Maybe a successful shelter could sponser a struggling shelter until they get on their feet. Lexington does a lot of adoptions which is why they are successful. I'm am just going on...SORRY...I get going and this is what happens! Too many ignorant people out there that breed dogs for money over and over when there are great dogs ready and waiting. Idiots is what they are, but what goes around comes around and they will pay at some point for there cruelty.

Anyway, you can't solve the world of animal problems, but I admire you for trying to save some. Maybe after you get this one solved I could give your friend the contact info for my girlfriend and see if she could give them some ideas for funding.

Good Luck

Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM

I lived in Lexington for about 10 years, and I know nothing like this would EVER happen in Lex. While there are always bad examples, in general, Lexington is a great place for animals. One of my dogs came from the Woodford Humane Society. I donated to Woodford every year I could.

The thing with Grant is truly awful. They were going to put down 23 dogs, and my friend managed to get all of them either placed in homes or with rescue organizations. That was this week. Now, next week, we have this other issue. The problem doesn't seem to be with the 23 dogs this week or however many dogs next week. The problem is with the shelter. It seems that Grant ought not to have a shelter at all. Apparently, because the vet was expensive, they used to have the vet come once a month and kill all of the dogs. The would kill 100 or more per month. And because prisoners run the place, they can't be available after certain hours or on weekends, when people would be more likely to adopt a pet. They're not allowed to send e-mail or talk on the phone, so this greatly limits what can be done to adopt out dogs. Volunteers who think that this is deplorable are the only ones helping to adopt out Grant's dogs.

Of course, that still leaves a bunch of dogs slated to die next week.

I will contact PETA--that sounds like a great option. Maybe they can have people with signs marching around out there. The H-L should also know about this. I now live near Atlanta, and I know the publicity surrounding Vicks' dogs certainly helped save their lives (and place all that were adoptable).

Thanks for the ideas, all!

-J

Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 AM

528 posts, read 2,276,023 times
you don't need to contact PETA (who probably wouldn't be able to do anything that fast, anyways and they're a rather radical group you don't want involvement with anyways)....

This is simple to solve, and just involves one person making a trip to a couple neighboring humane societies. What your friend and the volunteers should do is ASK the Lex Humane Society (and others) if they can borrow crates to house the spay/neuter dogs during the spay clinic day - since they need the space for ONE DAY only, borrowing crates for the spay/neuter dogs is the answer.

I do understand the issue, as our county (and many other rural ones) face the same issues....no money, no personnel, etc and the dogs are often euthanized. It's sad, and here a group of concerned citizens are discussing how to help with the problem - politics get in the way of change in rural areas sometimes, too.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
you don't need to contact PETA (who probably wouldn't be able to do anything that fast, anyways and they're a rather radical group you don't want involvement with anyways)....
Amen to that. DO NOT CONTACT PETA! They actually kill more animals than they save. Im not trying to get all conspiracy theory here, but their "we care about animals" stance is just a big facade.

Here. And there are MANY more stories than this one. Its actually estimated that they destroyed over 90% of the animals in their care last year.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:42 AM

528 posts, read 2,276,023 times
Stephanie, I sent you a DM.....

Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Thanks to all who responded

Well, it looks like the Grant County animals will be saved yet again. Fortunately, enough people have viewed this and other messages to get the word around.

I really don't care if PETA would come and protest. That's fine. If it gets a news crew to Grant and publicizes their awful policies, the SLA could come out and protest :-)

The primary guy who operates the shelter is apparently a really nice guy. Yes, he is a prisoner, but he genuinely cares about the animals. Sadly, his hands are tied regarding what he is able to do for them.

Shelters are oddly hesitant to help each other. It's not like a bunch of neighbors who run out of sugar and go next door when they need an extra half cup. It's more like government agencies who are fighting each other for scarce dollars and who are reluctant to share their own sparse resources. This appears to be true, especially within a state. And many rescue organizations are picky about which animals they will take. Some will not accept animals who were strays, for example. Many will not help shelters, either. Most seem to have strict rules about this.

It is VERY important that NO ONE take any animals to the Grant County Animal Shelter for the next week. Any animals that are dropped off could still potentially be euthanized (yes, even puppies). If you know anyone in Grant County who may need to drop off an animal at the shelter, encourage them to find a rescue agency instead, or just wait until after the spay neuter clinic is over.

I have a feeling that this is just the crisis du jour with Grant, unfortunately.

-J

Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosen View Post
I really don't care if PETA would come and protest. That's fine. If it gets a news crew to Grant and publicizes their awful policies, the SLA could come out and protest :-)
Its got nothing to do with them protesting. Did you read the story I linked to?? They KILL almost all the animals that are left in their care. And don't just take my word for it, research it.

If you want homeless animals to die, dealing with PETA is a good way to make that happen.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Default In support of Grant County Animal Shelter

This thread is several years old. I don't want it to leave the impression that today's Grant County Animal Shelter in any way resembles the old Grant County Animal Shelter. I do not work or volunteer there, but I have been there several times, have adopted a dog & cat from there and support them financially. According to records filed in 2009, they processed about 1,500 dogs. Fewer than 1% of healthy dogs were unadoptable and euthanized. In the past couple of years, they have expanded their facilities for dogs and built a very nice separate building to house their cats.

They are now a very good example of how a program can be turned around if people like you and me get involved and actually help, either financially or physically.

If you would like to support the Grant County Animal Shelter, you can do so through the Friends of the Shelter (a community of volunteers that support the shelter with money and sweat) or by visiting [URL=http://ebooksforcharity.com]eBooksforCharity.com[/URL] (a portion of cookbook sales go to the shelter.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area