U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 12,977 times

Advertisements

Hello all! *waves*
I thought I’d introduce myself because my husband and I are moving to the Lexington area in August (maybe sooner). I wanted to get some opinions on the area-things like how tolerant the area is, the job market, is there a good rental group/landlord we should be looking at, etc.

I adjunct at a local community college, and I’ll be getting my second Masters degree (Library Science) at UK this Fall. My husband has a degree in Geography but can’t find work in his field, so he’s applying to everything he can. We’re looking forward to moving to the Lexington area (although I will miss my yoga teacher), and I wanted to ask some advice from you guys.

We’ve had so much trouble in the Marshal County, Murray, Paducah area it’s sad. We’ve had landlords taking sides with bad neighbors because of church affiliations, spiders (I mean lots!), breaks in air conditioning (going on a month and a half), leaks, mold…the list goes on. Most of the time the landlords say it’s our fault because they don’t want to pay to fix anything. We also had major issues with landlords before we got married. Of course, it’s still bad because we both kept our last names. When we moved last time, we encountered problems with potential landlords over that.

We just want a quiet community where we can live. If anyone knows any landlords that keep stuff fixed but don’t put you through a religious test (like they do here), please let me know.

Ideally, we would like a smaller town area as opposed to the main city. I also have two brothers in Louisville, so if anyone knows of a place between Louisville and Lexington, that would be great.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 PM

688 posts, read 2,810,335 times
Although I don't know anything about specific landlords, I would suggest that you consider Midway. It is a very small, quaint town that has had a renaissance of its historic downtown, which is now filled with little shops, cafes, and even an organic farm market and upscale restaurants.

It seems to be an interesting blend of traditional KY country with an influence of progressive liberalism, and it has a small private college in town. Plus, it is right off of I-64 in Woodford County, so its not a terrible to commute to Lexington and is on the way to Louisville as well.

I know there is one renovated historic building that was once a school and is now a small apartment complex called Midway School Apartments, and I've seen several "for rent" signs around town, also.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM

714 posts, read 1,416,389 times
Ok...This is just my suggestion, but if you are going to go to UK I would definately stay in Lexington. I would not want the commute. You can get to Louisville in about an hour or an hour and 15. That drive, once or twice a month, will be nothing compared to the time you will save daily getting to UK. Renting in Lexington will not be a problem and I actually have a dear friend who owns about 25 rental houses in Lexington who is a GREAT landlord and would keep everything fixed all of the time, him and his wife are in there 30's and don't care what your personal business is or would be (within the law Anyway, you could find that almost anywhere in Lexington. As for your husband wanting to find a job...we'll the smaller the town...the less jobs to chose from?? What is he interested in other than geography? I do like Midway, I just wouldn't want the commute into downtown Lexington near the University.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Thanks

nlschr0, thanks! I'll check out Midway. It sounds wonderful.

stephanieuk, I've considered living in Lexington, but it would have to be in a really quiet area on the city limits. I don't mind the commute if I have trees. My husband and I just aren't city dwellers. We have to have some space. We will also end up visiting my brothers at least once a week, so in between or on the side of Lexington close to Louisville would be good. If your friends have a rental that could match our needs, we would be interested (depending on price, of course).

My husband is interested in anything not sales. He's applied to UPS, Toyota, Fedex, some warehouse jobs, etc. Honestly, anything is good now. There aren't many jobs in the Paducah area right now (there are so few jobs, the local newspaper took the job section out of the classifieds), so he'll be gratefull for anything in the Lexington area.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM

714 posts, read 1,416,389 times
We'll then I have to agree...I think Midway might suit your needs! And you can access 64 very easily!

As for a job...we'll if sales is out..you are right..what is out there? I will keep my ears open. Tell him to apply to Smuckers. They make Jif Peanut Butter downtown, Pepsi isn't bad either. What about the Police force? Good Luck! Or Frankfort is close to Midway..Frankfort is our capitol..maybe a gov. job
?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Default Thanks again

Everybody is so nice here

Thanks for the advice. I'll have him look at some positions in Frankfort and the Smuckers, Pepsi, etc. He's got an interview with UPS the 11th, so we're staying with one of my brothers the night before the interview. I may have an interview for a part time job also.

Again, if your friends have a house/townhouse/duplex for rent that has a yard (I have to have a garden) for a good price (below $600 a month), let me know. I'd be happy to take a look.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 PM

So, my husband and I were in Versailles today. We saw many nice townhomes, but what we really want is a house to rent. We found a nice home in a quiet area for $650, but the lady nearly had a fit when I said we had two (declawed, mess-free) cats. I don't suppose anyone knows of any rental homes where pets are permitted?

I still haven't figured out why kids are allowed but pets aren't

Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,545,507 times
If you look on craigslist, you can adjust your search for cats &/or dogs.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Duh! *smacks forehead*

I forgot all about craiglist. Thanks for the reminder

Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 AM

21 posts, read 59,354 times
good luck, I have a duplex in Georgetown that I rent for about 640 for a 2 bed two bath place with a pond in the back... but its currently rented.

Look in Georgetown, there are tons of places there, but your not going to find a decent house for that price unless you live way out.

If you don't mind driving look in Stamping Ground area or Winchester as well. Lots of good deals out there.

If you want to live in a decent apt. community then Beaumont is a pretty nice one, but a little pricy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area