U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 PM

7 posts, read 22,429 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Lexington later this summer. I wonder if anyone can comment on any of the following areas for empty nesters? Hamburg area (West Wind), Andover, Patchen Wilkes, Saddle Club, Tuscany.
Any other areas anyone would recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:38 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,579 times
Most of those mentioned are newer subdivisions, Tuscany is still in the process of being built so the homes there are no more than 2- 3 years old. I don't know where Saddle Club is, but the other neighborhoods are quite nice. I particularly like Andover as I've been in some of the houses there for different events. I think Patchen Wilkes is more duplexes and townhouses. Someone might need to correct me here. All in all these neighborhoods are quite safe and are pretty convenient to shopping, dining, etc.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM

46 posts, read 238,097 times
Joe, The areas you mention are all newer, high end developments-- so it sound like you are a recently retired, active adult couple.

In my opinion, empty-nester's fall into two groups, those looking to up-size their property value and those looking to downsize their housing square footage. From you posts I cannot tell into which group you would fall.

I believe Teebird has confused Patchen Wilkes with Bluegrass Wilkes which are the duplex/townhouse type development.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex2 View Post
I believe Teebird has confused Patchen Wilkes with Bluegrass Wilkes which are the duplex/townhouse type development.
Thanks for the correction then. I was thinking of the development around Patchen Drive by that little shopping center off Richmond Road (near what was Patchen Thai and Rite Aid). Where is Patchen Wilkes then?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM

46 posts, read 238,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Where is Patchen Wilkes then?
Outbound Winchester Rd., on the left where the white horse statue is, at the new traffic signal. Thats Patchen Wilkes Dr.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM

Ah right. OK thanks.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 PM

714 posts, read 1,416,031 times
West Wind is great! I will tell you why...It would be in walking distance of all types of stores and actually has a walking trail right in the subdivision. It also has mandatory HOA fees per yer, they don't amount to much, I think about 1200.00 per year. The homes are nice! Price range is about $300,000 to $550,000. For that you can get all brick, 3000 sq. ft. and up. The HOA includes neighborhood pool, and common area maintenance. The area also has restictions for certain fences and other concerns. I love that because that alone tells you that the area will maintain. Houses range from about 1 year and up to about 5. Great Area! Close to interstate and shopping.

Tuscany is next door to West Wind. Also a great area. BUT here is the difference. Tuscany is more expensive and the houses have quite a different feel. You can google the neighborhood and you should be able to see the Tuscan style. Houses range from $350,000 up to about $700,000 so far... Now there are a lot of empty lots in Tuscany and unless they can find buyers they might remain like that for quite some time. The developer (haymaker) imposed great restrictions for the area. For example- all copper wiring, 2x6 instead of 2x4. And many, many more. Stuff that isn't really cosmetically different, but that would be of great desire for someone who knows what they are looking at. There are no mature tress, lots of half built homes and empty lots. The developers have said they don't care how long it takes, they will not lower the restrictions or price points. The houses are sure to have top of the line fixtures, flooring, systems, etc.

Andover- Beautiful, beautiful area. Not far from Tuscany or West Wind (just across Man-O-War). Houses range from about $300,000 and up (although some of the areas run together and you could find a little cheaper). Age ranges from about 10 years and up. Trees are mature, does have a walking trail and lots of the homes back to Andover Golf Course. You can also pay a fee and become a member at the Andover Country Club, which has a pool facility, functions, and golf. LOVE this area!

Saddle Club is on the North end of town closer to the airport. It's not a bad looking little area, but not really close to anything. The street leading into it is not all that great and there aren't any trails or shopping close by. It's like a quaint little two, or three streets. Not my cup of tea, but it might be yours. The houses there are nice.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM

714 posts, read 1,416,031 times
And Patchen Wilkes is an area not far from Tuscany and West Wind. Lots of hearty plank (looks similar to siding). The houses remind me of a Charleston, SC feel. Confederate, Plantation Style with a modern touch. Not any trails or pools that I am aware of and also an area that is not fully completed because of the price point and market. You could be in a shopping area in about 5 minutes.

I would go look at each area. It would be easy to do in one day. You will know when you visit because the feel of each area is greatly different! Sorry to go on, but I forgot to mention Patchen Wilkes earlier and the others are some of my favorite areas!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,208,508 times
Most of the houses in Tuscany are IMO in hideous taste----stone and brick mixes, phony shutters and phony hinges and handles on garage doors; very gauche and utterly lacking in charm. And you pay big bucks for the privilege. Not to mention that the very calling of the place "Tuscany" is itself uncouth. But if lucky you'll have a good view of the super Wal-Mart and the new chicken-fingers franchise.

The houses at Patchen Wilkes are much nicer IMO and are some of the nicest subdivision housing I've seen. The same builder is building over off of old Chilesburg Road in an area I think much quiter and nicer than Patchen Wilkes.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-02-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 22,429 times
Thanks to all for the prompt relies! This information is very helpful. Sounds like, as with all things, there are pro's and con's with each area.

We are looking to downsize if possible. However, we don't want to get ourselves into a "bad" area in doing so. It seems in the nicer areas, most of the houses are larger than we need/want. Ideally, we would like something around 2400 sq feet (ranch preferably, but o.k. with 1.5 story with master BR on first floor).

Again, thanks so much for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area