U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 13,800 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, stumbled here looking for information on Lex. housing, specifically rentals fairly close to Cardinal Hill Rehab. One income, kids and a couple of cats. At least 3 bedrooms, maybe 4 if the price is right. Hopefully near decent schools with a good SE program.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM

714 posts, read 1,416,994 times
What is an SE program? This is awful but I don't know where Cardinal Hill is located, what part of town is it in? You will be able to find affordable housing to rent don't stress.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,490,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
What is an SE program? This is awful but I don't know where Cardinal Hill is located, what part of town is it in? You will be able to find affordable housing to rent don't stress.
Cardinal Hill Rehab is on Versailles & Mason-Headley Roads. For the OP, that's on the westside, about 3.5 miles west of Downtown and two miles W/NW of the University of Kentucky.

If you're coming from, say, inner-city Baltimore, Detroit, or Dallas, then you might be able to handle it. But it really isn't the best part of town.

I do have a friend that used to live on a residential street parallel to Versailles Road only 1/4 mile from Cardinal Hill; she witnessed a murder immediately behind her apartment in January, a drug deal gone bad. This type of activity has become more and more common on Lexington's west side in the last 10-12 years. Sensibly, my friend moved out about five weeks after the event.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
If you want to be fairly close to Cardinal Hill Rehab, look for housing in the Clays Mill area near Lafayette High School and Lexington Catholic High School. It's a much safer area and a 5- 10 minute drive to Cardinal Hill. If you don't mind me asking, what is your price range for housing rentals? One more thing, is an SE program a special education program? Since I don't attend public schools here, I can't comment on SE programs. I think Lafayette has a program in place, I can find out more from a friend of mine who attends school there if you'd like.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 AM

820 posts, read 2,643,618 times
You might want to look in the Gardenside area. This includes older homes that are reasonably priced but you don't want to get down close to Versailles Rd which becomes more apartments and rental property. As has been mentioned, it isn't considered a generally safe area. Depending on how much money you're wanting to spend and exactly how close you're wanting to be to CHH would make a big difference in recommendations.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Yeah, we have a special needs child and are obviously concerned about that. Actually I saw something for rent in Nicholasville. The commute doesn't look too terribly bad. (I'm originally from Chicago so it takes a lot to scare me traffic wise.) Nicholasville looks like a decent place from what I've seen. Opinions?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
How long of a commute are you used to? Commuting from Nicholasville to Cardinal Hill will take probably 30- 45 minutes depending on where in Jessamine County you will be living. However, I would advise against using Jessamine County Schools and would consider enrolling your child in private schools.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
How long of a commute are you used to? Commuting from Nicholasville to Cardinal Hill will take probably 30- 45 minutes depending on where in Jessamine County you will be living. However, I would advise against using Jessamine County Schools and would consider enrolling your child in private schools.
I'm used to 1/2 hour where I am now. I've had worse, obviously. Curious about your advice against the schools there. As far as price, I'm prolly looking at 800 or under, but it depends on the situation.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 PM

820 posts, read 2,643,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnman1999 View Post
I'm used to 1/2 hour where I am now. I've had worse, obviously. Curious about your advice against the schools there. As far as price, I'm prolly looking at 800 or under, but it depends on the situation.
Commuting from Nicholasville to CHH isn't terrible. You can come in on Nicholasville Rd or Harrodsburg Rd and then even cut over to Clays Mill and on in depending on where the house is in Nicholasville. If you're only wanting to spend $800/month to rent, you will be able to get a lot more house in a surrounding city. That amount would be difficult for the size house you mentioned in a better area here in Lexington. Nicholasville schools are fine although I'm not sure how their SE program stacks compared to Lexington public schools. I would investigate and compare that. Otherwise, I would have no problem sending my kids to schools there if that's where I lived.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:16 PM

688 posts, read 2,811,215 times
Jessamine County has a very unique perspective on their special ed - they focus a lot on non-categorical full inclusion vs the more traditional continuum of services especially for elementary. Some parents move to Jessamine particularly for it, others feel very strongly that their child's needs are not being met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area