U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,545,148 times

Advertisements

I have to confess that I've never liked Joe B's either. I am not sure where it gathers its momentum from. People have been loving that place for decades - I can't quite go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,944 times
My mom loves Joe B's, but it's mediocre in my opinion. Pazzo's over on Limestone in UK is my favorite pizza place in town. My neighbor owns the place and we love it.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,011,507 times
If you're just looking for a quick sandwich to go, there's a bakery on Main Street called 'Sunrise Bakery', located right across from the Court House parking lot (which also serves as Farmer's Market parking lot on Saturday morning). The place is more like an italian deli actually. They serve italian style sandwich on fresh baked italian style breads (ciabatta, focaccia, etc), italian cheeses (provolone, Caciocavallo, Toscanello, etc) and italian cold cuts (prosciutto, salami from various regions in Italy, etc). You choose the meat, bread, and cheese, then they'll prepare the sandwich in front of you for roughly $6. You need to be there by noon if you want your sandwich on their popular Ciabatta bread, otherwise the bread is gone. They have the best lunch sandwich I've tasted. Definitely better then your typical chain sandwich shops.

You also might want to head to Chevy Chase area, there's a small French Bakery called 'Le Matin' that serves awesome breakfast croissants (my favorite is their Feta Cheese & Spinach croissant, that seems to be gone by 10am on Saturday mornings). They also have great collections of French cheeses and fresh baked french breads.

For Pizzas, Donato's pizza (although a chain shop) is surprisingly good. Carabbas (also a chain shop) serves good pizzas (my husband's favorite is their Chicken Pizza).

Happy Eating!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:33 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,215,210 times
The people that run Sunrise are from Philly, my wife is from Philly too and the other day when we were in there she and the woman running the bakery had a nice schmooze.

Good bread.

Donato's is the best pizza I've found in this town and I'm from the West Side of Chicago and know my pizza, Donato's even cuts it in squares as is proper. Smashing Tomato is good too; not a "genuine" old school pizza but pretty good nonetheless.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,280,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The people that run Sunrise are from Philly, my wife is from Philly too and the other day when we were in there she and the woman running the bakery had a nice schmooze.

Good bread.

Donato's is the best pizza I've found in this town and I'm from the West Side of Chicago and know my pizza, Donato's even cuts it in squares as is proper. Smashing Tomato is good too; not a "genuine" old school pizza but pretty good nonetheless.
Ok Tom now you have to tell me what a schmooze is.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Ok Tom now you have to tell me what a schmooze is.
A chat. That's my wife's Philly talk.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,280,161 times
Quote:
A chat. That's my wife's Philly talk.
Oh. ok, thanks.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 PM

820 posts, read 2,642,638 times
Quote:

Good bread.

Have you ever tried "Brooklyn Pizza". There is one downtown, one off of Clays Mill Rd. and one other location I believe. It's NY style.... not Chicago style, so it's thin. I LOVE it!!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Have you ever tried "Brooklyn Pizza". There is one downtown, one off of Clays Mill Rd. and one other location I believe. It's NY style.... not Chicago style, so it's thin. I LOVE it!!

Yes I had it, at the one on Man-O-War and Todd's Road. It was pretty good.

Chicago "old neighborhood pizza" is actually thin crust but different from NY; the bottom is thinner and crispy and more cheese and toppings are used. And it's cut in squares. Donatos comes pretty close.

The pan pizza associated with Chicago started downtown at a place maned Unos owned by a fella named Ike Sewell. A neighborhood place that used a thick, bready crust was Salernos on 16th St. And Home Run Inn, arguably the best pizza in Chicago, uses a thin crust but on the thicker side of thin.

I can talk pizza all day.

Here's a Chicago thin. See how crispy it looks?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/Irishtom29/800px-Chicagothingcrust.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-14-2008, 04:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,944 times
Ah Unos and also Duo across the street... Chicago doesn't get any better than that pizza. This is making me hungry now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area