U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
 
6,794 posts, read 14,251,406 times
Reputation: 3169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I finally arrived in Lexington and am in the process of settling in. My question is, where do you guys eat?

I'm not talking chains, here...no Panera Breads, Subways, etc. I'm talking GOOD, LOCAL, FABULOUS food you can only get right here in Lexington. What I'm really looking for are some recommendations for great sandwiches, soups, subs, and/or pizza.

Thanks!

The real foodies of the state live here:

Louisville Restaurants Forum • Index page


The site is for Louisville of course which offers hundreds more options in unique restaurants, especially in fine dining and ethnic fare.
Unfortunately Lexington is not included but the people on that site know of many Lexington spots that I doubt even locals know about, and I believe there was a Lexington subforum...anyways, join there and ask about lexington as the people are friendly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Lexington
5 posts, read 21,947 times
Reputation: 20
Default Food I have found around Lexington

OK .. great list! Yet, I find others lamenting about lack of fine dining, although I would count Merrick Inn as top 'o the list of local finery. Sal's is decent; a bit pricey, though.

Now for specific meals. I finally found Liver and Onion at two places. No.2 was at Frisches on H'Burg Road near Lane Allen .. but, theirs was coated with flour and came with gravy. Hmmm .. OK, but not my style. No.1, however, was found at the Longhorn in Turfland. It isn't on the menu; you have to ask for it. It comes braised with onions atop. I found that one or two duty grill chefs weren't all that familiar with cooking liver, though. Twice did I get the liver hard and chewy as a shoe leather. I sent it back the second time and got a correctly seared dinner .. tender-cut-with-a-fork. Liver takes just a few quick seconds on each side to cook all the way through.

Homemade sandwichs: Remember the handsome concoctions you once could find at the student-ville deli at corner of Columbia and Oldham Avenue? There's another just as good or better waaaay out Tates Creek Road near Spears Road. And, they serve real, sho-nuff homecooked food, too. True, it's a hole-in-the-wall place, a bit cluttered, but you go there for the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Lexington Ky
891 posts, read 2,804,772 times
Reputation: 519
Had breakfast this morning at Wheeler's on Romany Rd. I forgot to mention it previously but it is like walking into a time warp to go there. The food is good and you never know who you'll run into. Joe B. Hall is there a lot.
Great chili, good old fashioned breakfasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 10:19 PM
 
10 posts, read 33,859 times
Reputation: 11
I love Mac on Boardway's hot brown... *sigh* so yummy...

Try Columbia Steak House... their steak is soooo good.. its in upper northside downtown near Transy University on Limestone. Its old brick building. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 PM
 
10 posts, read 33,859 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Had breakfast this morning at Wheeler's on Romany Rd. I forgot to mention it previously but it is like walking into a time warp to go there. The food is good and you never know who you'll run into. Joe B. Hall is there a lot.
Great chili, good old fashioned breakfasts.
you should try Wallace Station.. its somewhere in Midway.. great for breakfast!! its in middle of country.. with farm surrounding. Its very small old building.. i mean.. really old building. It looks like a lot of upper class that goes there but the price is very decent. Those upper classes looks like bunch of horse owner, trainer, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 PM
 
10 posts, read 33,859 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Suspect View Post
OK .. great list! Yet, I find others lamenting about lack of fine dining, although I would count Merrick Inn as top 'o the list of local finery. Sal's is decent; a bit pricey, though.

Now for specific meals. I finally found Liver and Onion at two places. No.2 was at Frisches on H'Burg Road near Lane Allen .. but, theirs was coated with flour and came with gravy. Hmmm .. OK, but not my style. No.1, however, was found at the Longhorn in Turfland. It isn't on the menu; you have to ask for it. It comes braised with onions atop. I found that one or two duty grill chefs weren't all that familiar with cooking liver, though. Twice did I get the liver hard and chewy as a shoe leather. I sent it back the second time and got a correctly seared dinner .. tender-cut-with-a-fork. Liver takes just a few quick seconds on each side to cook all the way through.

Homemade sandwichs: Remember the handsome concoctions you once could find at the student-ville deli at corner of Columbia and Oldham Avenue? There's another just as good or better waaaay out Tates Creek Road near Spears Road. And, they serve real, sho-nuff homecooked food, too. True, it's a hole-in-the-wall place, a bit cluttered, but you go there for the food.
I agree with you that Lexington lacks in private restaurant. Too many chains everywhere. My wife and I lived in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ (that's where my wife is from but i am lexington naive and we moved to lexington cuz its cheaper) and as we head in downtown of PPB, there are sooo many private owned dining and it was great to experience eating there! There are even fewer chains in PPB compare to Lexington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Lexington
270 posts, read 859,267 times
Reputation: 107
My three favorite local restaurants are "a la lucie" (a bit on the pricy side, but well worth it), Atomic Cafe and Natasha's Bistro -- all 3 downtown.

To be a small city, I think Lexington has a great selection of local eateries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
 
10 posts, read 33,859 times
Reputation: 11
i pass Atomic Cafe all the times and i always wonder what it is... what's on their menu, anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Lexington
270 posts, read 859,267 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohyper View Post
i pass Atomic Cafe all the times and i always wonder what it is... what's on their menu, anyways?
It's billed as a Caribbean restaurant. I love the sweet potato chips, coconut shrimp and jerk chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
23,794 posts, read 10,877,359 times
Reputation: 17833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
My three favorite local restaurants are "a la lucie" (a bit on the pricy side, but well worth it), Atomic Cafe and Natasha's Bistro -- all 3 downtown.

To be a small city, I think Lexington has a great selection of local eateries.
I like all three of those also, and one more "The Bistro at 147" which is near a la lucie on North Limestone. Creative menu, reasonably priced. Great for lunch or dinner.

Last edited by Pilot1; 10-06-2008 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top