U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,270 times

Advertisements

We've just put our home on the market...

Will do For Sale By Owner if you haven't got a realtor already...

LBAR.com - Listing 811134 - LBAR

cheers,

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 PM

285 posts, read 822,122 times
David-FYI The link did not work for me.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,270 times
Default Url

apparently the link wasn't working...

LBAR.com - Listing 811134 - LBAR

Old 06-21-2008, 02:24 PM

714 posts, read 1,416,204 times
Ok. Just wanted to let everyone know a few things. As a client of a Realtor, you are not allowed to advertise your property. Due to rules and regulations regarding equal and fair housing.

Also, please note that when you list your house with companies that have a flat rate, you are probably only hurting yourself. Yeah, they go on the MLS, BUT most Realtors won't show your property, or if they do, they will do everything they can to sell a different house. BECAUSE the companies that do that (listing for a flat fee) are bringing down industry standards and taking listings from full-time agents. Experienced agents realize this and will not push to sell your property and will do what they can to avoid it all together. Not that you won't sell your house, but I think your just lowering your chances. Just so everyone else knows in the future. I would stick with For Sale By Owner, or list your house with an actual Realtor, flat rate companies usualy just hurt you.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:05 PM

969 posts, read 2,497,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Ok. Just wanted to let everyone know a few things. As a client of a Realtor, you are not allowed to advertise your property. Due to rules and regulations regarding equal and fair housing.

Also, please note that when you list your house with companies that have a flat rate, you are probably only hurting yourself. Yeah, they go on the MLS, BUT most Realtors won't show your property, or if they do, they will do everything they can to sell a different house. BECAUSE the companies that do that (listing for a flat fee) are bringing down industry standards and taking listings from full-time agents. Experienced agents realize this and will not push to sell your property and will do what they can to avoid it all together. Not that you won't sell your house, but I think your just lowering your chances. Just so everyone else knows in the future. I would stick with For Sale By Owner, or list your house with an actual Realtor, flat rate companies usualy just hurt you.

Wow, no wonder people don't like realtors!! Hey Steph, it is a free market and real estate agents can charge whatever they want. As a FULL TIME realtor myself, I would show this guys house to my client. If my client wanted to buy it, I would sell it to him because, remember, our job is to REPRESENT our clients interests OVER that of the "Industry". It is called competition, not "Taking listings from full time agents."

I know you are a fairly new agent, but please don't make such broad generalizations about all the LBAR members! Statements like those you have made hurt our industry much more than a guy that charges $499 + 3% to sell a house. (Just so you'll know, I don't do flat fee.)

Also, this guy isn't advertising his house. He simply posted a link to LBAR.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM

I am a new Realtor. BUT... The statement is true! I have been around agents who won't show listings because of who they are listed with. Of course you have some people who find the homes themselves and so they must show them. Their theory is "there is NEVER just one perfect house" they just find a different one that meets the needs of their clients.

I do understand that we represent our clients for their benefit and not ours, but lets face it, it happens...A LOT! and truthfully I show any house that I think would benefit my client. I just lost a deal because I made them aware of one that is for auction that would better meet their needs! But still, the truth is that it is a business and their are a lot of Realtors that won't show certain companies listings. I lost a listing in Hamburg to foreclosure...had agents IN MY OFFICE who told me that the reason the house didn't sell is because the guy that owned it onced tried to challenge the industry....It was true..a MLS with a flat rate. The house didn't sell and YES I worked my butt off trying to make sure I gave it everything possible for it to sell. Just trying to pass information along to the people that participate on this forum. SO...in my experience it's VERY true, whether it's right, or not.

I guess you might be right about just listing the link, but you know the rules. Clients are not allowed to advertise their homes.

Didn't mean to make anyone mad and I wish you luck in selling your home! Just because I am a newer agent doesn't make me less aware of what goes on in the industry

Old 06-22-2008, 12:57 PM

969 posts, read 2,497,917 times
The seller said he could do for sale by owner if the buyer didn't have a realtor. That makes me think the listing agreement with the flat fee guy is an "Open Listing", where the seller can sell it himself if he finds a buyer. That would make sense because the seller pays the flat fee guy upfront, so the agent really doesn't care since he has already made his money!

I know some agents are like you described, and I know you weren't being mean or anything. I just hate that others on the forum could infer that ALL or even most of the realtors in town are self-serving bums.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:29 PM

So true and I am quite surprised how many of them exist. I am honest almost to a fault. But I agree I wouldn't want everyone on here to think we are all bad because it just isn't true!!

Maybe I will re-think my post from here on out! We have enough to worry about with this national news media! Did you see the statistics for May? Lexington's market is getting better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area