U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

i'm a northwest oregon native living in manhattan looking for a southern town with at least a little of the feel of portland--bikes, eclectic restaraunts, places to people watch, bookstores and some outdoor recreation. lexington seems like a cool spot on paper-can someone describe the overall vibe? how about the landscape-flat or rolling? we're reasonably well off and not too worried about rent. my wife is concerned about the bible-belt culture and some yankee hostility. any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 AM

891 posts, read 2,805,102 times
Here is a link to some info on Commerce Lexington's website.
CommerceLexington.com - BLUEGRASS RANKINGS (http://commercelexington.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=35&url_subchannel_id=& url_article_id=186&change_well_id=2 - broken link)
Lexington has something to offer everyone. You can find a niche for whatever you are interested in. The downtown and surrounding areas are generally more urban feeling and more liberal. The further out from downtown you go the more conservative and suburban the feel (obviously these are generalizations and do not fit everyone within these areas but overall this is pretty accurate).
Landscape-Lex is on a plain but is not totally flat. It is surrounded to the east and south by gently rolling hills.
Also check out Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau. You can see from this site several of the offerings in this area.
Lex has Ravens Run for short hikes, the Arboretum for pretty strolls, the yellow bike program and soon there will be a bike/walking path from the Ky Horse Park all the way into downtown. There is a 5 year plan to have the path go all the way to the Ky River in Jessamine county.
Yes we are in the Bible belt but I think you will find most people accepting of others beliefs or lack thereof.
As for people watching I think Keeneland is one of the best places in the world to do so. I rarely bet on the horses but love to go just to see the people there.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
Some of my step-family moved here from Portland also and so I think I might be able to help.

- Religion: Yes Lexington is essentially within the Bible Belt and I've been asked by numerous people where I attend church. For those who don't attend church, be prepared for some to try and persuade you to start attending. You won't be shunned for not going to church. In fact, a larger percentage of my generation around town (I'm 17) is not religious. You wife doesn't need to worry.

- The outdoors: A couple of years ago, Lexington tried bicycle taxis where you could rent a yellow colored bike and return it at another location. The city stopped the program a year or two ago, but have talked about starting it again either this year or next year. Most streets have sidewalks and some of the major roads have bike lanes. The UK Arboretum is a great place to walk around and see numerous native plants to our region. McConnell Springs and Raven's Run are two other great spots. Take a drive through the countryside around town to see some of the horse farms. If you don't mind the drive, Lake Cumberland is a great place to spend a day or two and rent a boat.

- "Vibe": Lexington is a college town, hence much of the city revolves around UK. There is a good restaurant scene here, especially for a city of our size. No we don't have Ethiopian cuisine like in Chicago, but the selection is still good. The areas close to downtown are generally more liberal and the further out of town you go, the more conservative it gets. There are a number of little coffee shops around downtown and no I don't mean Starbucks: Third Street Stuff and Common Grounds in particular. For bookstores, Joseph Beth Booksellers is consistently one of the top ranked bookstores in the country.

- Landscape: The areas surrounding the city are categorized by rolling hills, typical of the bluegrass region of Kentucky. The city itself actually is pretty flat.

Hope this provided some help!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,229,619 times
"No we don't have Ethiopian cuisine like in Chicago,"

Believe me TBird, we ain't missin' nuthin'. When I was dating my wife she wanted to go to this Ethiopian joint in Uptown (Chicago), all I can say is no wonder those guys are so skinny. Blech! Pa-tooey!

I lived in Chicago for 57 years and ate Polish, Italian, Bohemian, Serbian, Slovenian, Vietnamese, German, Turkish, Columbian, Jewish, Peruvian----you name it. And Ethipoian was the worst. Worse than Irish food even.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
Ethiopian was the first thing that came to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area