U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,719,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Nice post...jcm, we know you do not like KY, but you do make pretty insightful, accurate posts.
Ummm, I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,175,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
I live in Hamburg and the people live here are some of the snootest I have ever met. Maybe because my wife and I are young but our neighbors act like we dont exist, or are just rude to us. When we first moved in we had a neighbor ask we not turn our house into a "dorm". Our cat got out and was in the neighbors backyard and he said next time he is just going to call the pound. You can have this area, the people have their noses so far up in the air is makes me sick. I can only wait til the Army gives me new orders. My wife who has lived in lexington for the past 6 years feels the same. Atleast in a military community you get respect. Andover Forest is only accepting of rich older people.
Lexington is much different now than when I lived there, I lived there in the 1980's. You run into problems like that with neighbors when you live in apts, condos and townhouses, that's why I like a house outside the city so I can have some space. Bad neighbors are a pain in the butt.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:06 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,719,716 times
Quote:
I live in Hamburg and the people live here are some of the snootest I have ever met. Maybe because my wife and I are young but our neighbors act like we dont exist, or are just rude to us. When we first moved in we had a neighbor ask we not turn our house into a "dorm". Our cat got out and was in the neighbors backyard and he said next time he is just going to call the pound. You can have this area, the people have their noses so far up in the air is makes me sick. I can only wait til the Army gives me new orders. My wife who has lived in lexington for the past 6 years feels the same. Atleast in a military community you get respect. Andover Forest is only accepting of rich older people.
Noses up in the air? LOL, that's a good one.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,484,330 times
Quote:
This story DOES NOT surprise me in the very least. It really doesn't. I guess "Southern hospitality" hasn't fared well for you here in the bluegrass. If I may ask, where are you from originally?

Once again, considering the city is full of middle-class transplants mostly from southwestern Ohio and Appalachia, there really is no excuse for a number Lexingtonians to possess such a standoffish (nose-in-the-air style, in this case) attitude. Notice, I haven't said all, I've also met a fair share of decent folks from there.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-20-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM

439 posts, read 1,131,387 times
Im from Chicago, and I thought I knew what snooty was but when I moved here I was surprised. We lived in an apartment by Pimlico Parkway and shopped at te Kroger in Chinoe and loved it. The people were nice and we all got along. We moved to Andover and have HATED living here. Not all of Lexington is like this I know, however when your surrounded with it 24/7 I guess it sticks with you.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Im from Chicago, and I thought I knew what snooty was but when I moved here I was surprised. We lived in an apartment by Pimlico Parkway and shopped at te Kroger in Chinoe and loved it. The people were nice and we all got along. We moved to Andover and have HATED living here. Not all of Lexington is like this I know, however when your surrounded with it 24/7 I guess it sticks with you.
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. When I lived in Louisville, I met many east-enders w/ the same standoffish attitude. Yet, over time, I've met many east-enders who turned out to be very nice and generous people. Maybe things will pan out for you in the long term, or maybe you just need to move back to Chinoe.

What's funny is that Chinoe and Andover are only three miles apart!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Nice post...jcm, we know you do not like KY, but you do make pretty insightful, accurate posts.
Thank you, I appreciate that!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,545,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
What's funny is that Chinoe and Andover are only three miles apart!
But worlds apart in culture.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
But worlds apart in culture.
'Tis true.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 AM

23,700 posts, read 10,847,908 times
Its OK, but there isn't really much to do here unless you have a family. Guess I'm spoiled as I moved here from Denver, CO because of a company transfer. I've been here a year and a half and I find I don't like it as much as Colorado. The climate, gray skies and summer heat with humidity isn't very comfortable. People accuse me of being a Yankee, and in general while some are friendly, many are a bit reserved. I'm not a UK fan and I'm not religious which are the two main things here. I'm starting to look for a job in Denver as I want to get back there. Lexington has some bright spots, but not enough to make me want to spend the rest of my life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area