Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,032,133 times

Advertisements

Nice Southern hospitality, sandman. Give it a rest, OK? He has a right to his opinion, and so do you, but you are getting close to personal attacks here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Yep, I'm in Los Angeles and people here are VERY warm and welcoming. Haven't met a snooty suburbanite yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
LOL. I HAVE felt an embrace from every suburbanite I've ever met. I just wanted to kiss them. LOL/j/k.
Okay, I had the comeback b/c I assumed you were being sarcastic, timelesschild. Were you?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Like I said previously....if you need an energy boost after visiting Lexington then do yourself a favor and just don't come ... If it is as bad as you say why do you continue to visit closer or not. ...You certainly deserve to have your own opinions but have them with an open mind.
Well, I have been open-minded. I haven't attacked anybody on here. I realize that some people prefer the atmosphere of Lexington and some don't. It doesn't necessarily make us better or worse, just different.

I come to Lex. b/c it's closer and primarily to save $$$ that I would otherwise spend driving the extra 10-15 miles to Louisville. I come to Lexington, get what I need at Fayette Mall, Barnes & Noble, Target, or whatever my destination is, and drive back home. Then I get my Mountain Dew. (j/k)

I usually take a day and make the best of it in Louisville. Find friends, browse a new music store I haven't checked out, drive around and look at all the new construction.

"Faux rich" and snootiness are very strong in Louisville, as I've indicated in my previous posts, but they're more concentrated in certain areas of E. and S.E. Jefferson Co., W. Shelby Co. and S. Oldham Co.; I think my problems with many in Louisville were attributed more to people that met that criteria. That's not to say that I didn't meet "east enders" who were decent people b/c I met plenty. One of my best friends, in fact, lives in the very upper-end St. Regis Park, and I live in "redneckville." Go figure. Overall, however, I should've hung around the more down-to-earth joints inside the Watterson. It's not spread throughout and around the city like it is in Lexington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
We went into one store and I swear it looked as if a lady had eatin an lemon the look she gave us. However the other day we did meet a nice young couple and talked with about children for a while.
That "lemon" look was what the barista at Starbucks in west Lexington gave me yesterday. It sure didn't make me feel welcome.

The most polite people I encountered yesterday were an old couple at Joseph/Beth, probably in their 70s, and they were...yankees! Could tell by the accent.

There are some pockets of Chevy Chase, older neighborhoods along Clays Mill, Chinoe, and the Leestown corridor b/t Forbes and Masterson Station that are safe yet down-to-earth at the same time than the rest of the city. Mind you, these areas don't comprise a geographic majority of the city.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-25-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM

145 posts, read 516,491 times
You haven't attacked anyone on here but you call lexington people snooty. I was just told to show more southern hospitality so from now on at the end of every post no matter what the subject I will end it with "would you like some sweet tea" just to get in that hospitality. You are certainly welcome to your opinions but it is unfair to point out me as getting close to personal when you insult a whole town as being uppity when you can't possibly make that claim unless you have met the whole city. Generalizations are a dangerous thing. You don't like lexington...point taken. You think it is full of snobs...point taken. You feel depressed when you leave here...point taken. According to your last post four areas of the town are safe and down to earth...point taken. What would you do to make it better? Bash it fine...how about some ideas to make it better..Would you like some sweet tea?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Okay, I had the comeback b/c I assumed you were being sarcastic, timelesschild. Were you?
No, actually, I just haven't happened to encounter snooty suburbanites here in the Los Angeles area. I was being for real.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
No, actually, I just haven't happened to encounter snooty suburbanites here in the Los Angeles area. I was being for real.
Hmmm...wow! Interesting. Come to think of it, I've never met anybody that was outright mean or hateful from California. They sure love to talk about their state, though, even when they leave it. I guess there's something that still capivates them whilst being driven out by the high cost of living.

I've never been to CA, so I guess I'll just have to learn about it myself.

Just curious, and I don't mean this to be "standoffish" or snide, but what brings you to the Kentucky forum? Are you a former resident?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM

Back to the OP:

What is YOUR impression of Lexington now after reading our very opinionated and sometimes spirited posts?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
jcm,

what part of Louisville did you grow up in?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...wow! Interesting. Come to think of it, I've never met anybody that was outright mean or hateful from California. They sure love to talk about their state, though, even when they leave it. I guess there's something that still capivates them whilst being driven out by the high cost of living.

I've never been to CA, so I guess I'll just have to learn about it myself.

Just curious, and I don't mean this to be "standoffish" or snide, but what brings you to the Kentucky forum? Are you a former resident?
Have been a Kentucky resident for over 40 years. You might say I am familiar with the place. I just recently moved to LA for business.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,648,605 times
I'm a snooty son of a ***** myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area