Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Have to say, went to Lexington tonight and sensed the snooty aura in the air. People weren't smiling at all; in fact, at least 50% of the people I walked past or encountered looked p**sed off at the world. The retail and restaurant clerks weren't particularly warm; in fact, at Starbucks, one guy acted like he was doing a favor by just taking an order.

You know, I was in Chicago last month. I noticed FAR more people in ONE DAY who would say "thank you," "appreciate it," or some verbal form of common courtesy when being served than I've noticed in Lexington in three days. Southern hospitality, ya'll!
I realize I posted this last summer...and it still holds true as far as I'm concerned. I've been to Lexington about 10x over the last month for some personal errands.

Oh, what is it with Lexington and their women having all these nasty attitudes? Seriously? Do you live in an international capital of commerce, arts, culture, industrialization, and education, like Boston, L.A., Atlanta, Chicago, or D.C.? Beautiful women, and plenty of down-to-earth ones at that, abound outside of that Lexington bubble, you know.

Oh, and the drivers won't give you the friendly wave when you let them out into traffic during gridlock--learn some manners for God's sake. I've lost count of how many times I see such polite driving mannerisms (the let out and wave) in Louisville and, to a slightly lesser extent, Northern Kentucky on a DAILY BASIS. Even with some of my personal experiences in Louisville, it might well be the most polite large American city in terms of driving that I've experienced. I can count on my two hands the number of times I've seen such politeness in Lexington in the 17 YEARS that I've lived in the shadows of that city! Pretty sad if you ask me.

Oh, and the worst case of road rage I've ever seen in my life occurred last week on Nicholasville Road! It wasn't directed at me, but some dude was directing his rage (screaming obscenities, shaking fists, flipping birds) at random drivers from New Circle down to Wilson Downing. Long story short, I thought he was going to pull a gun. NEVER, EVER have I seen that in Louisville or Cincinnati/N. KY or during my visits to Chicago, Atlanta, Texas, NYC, and North Jersey.

Sorry, I know I've harbored a more positive attitude lately on City-Data Forum and I'm sorry if I've let anybody down here, but my trip tonight brought back the reasons I've so disliked Lexington for the last ten years. ...and why I'm so desperately trying to get out of Kentucky. Please don't chastise me, these are simply my honest, objective observations.

Have a nice evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 AM

Is there anyway this can be moved to the Lexington forum? This is a Lexington-related thread, after all.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,285 times
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I lived in Lexington all my life. And I came from a family that was well off. But I also had parents that did not shelter me from anything and they treated everyone the same. In Lexington there are little groups that think they are better than others. You have the Lexington catholic Group , the Henry Clay Group, the Sayre Group and it goes on and on and the funny thing is these people run around thinking they are better than everybody else when the truth of the matter is the ones that really have the money don’t belong to any of these groups. Over all Lexington is great town as long as you don’t get caught up in that blue blood thing. It can be a town of haves and have knots. But that is a very small percentage. I think it is funny how people will judge me and look down at me until they find out who my parents are. It is all such a big joke. Those people you don’t want to have anything to do with anyway. The ones that are in there early and late thirties and are still doing the same thing as they were in college. They hang out at Malone’s and want to be seen. And they are out at Keeneland every meet hobnobbing. There is a lot of money in this town and there are a lot of people that act like they have a lot of money. This is a rule of thumb if you have to flaunt your wealth the chances are you don’t have it. The ones that truly have the wealth don’t act like this and they are not out at Malone’s every weekend trying to be seen. They know there place in Lexington and don’t have to fake it[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM

102 posts, read 295,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Oh, and the drivers won't give you the friendly wave when you let them out into traffic during gridlock--learn some manners for God's sake. I've lost count of how many times I see such polite driving mannerisms (the let out and wave) in Louisville and, to a slightly lesser extent, Northern Kentucky on a DAILY BASIS. Even with some of my personal experiences in Louisville, it might well be the most polite large American city in terms of driving that I've experienced. I can count on my two hands the number of times I've seen such politeness in Lexington in the 17 YEARS that I've lived in the shadows of that city! Pretty sad if you ask me.
Oh no!

Seriously who gives a crap whether somebody waves or not. If it bothers you so much that somebody you don't know doesn't wave, you are the one with the problem.

I hate polite drivers. Anytime you let somebody in who was too stupid to know what lane to be in, you are delaying the poeple behind you.

There is a reason cutting in line and chinese cuts are frowned upon in elementary school. Why shoudl driving be any different.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:15 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Oh no!
I hate polite drivers. Anytime you let somebody in who was too stupid to know what lane to be in, you are delaying the poeple behind you.
Uhhh, hello? Some people are from out of town and may not know the correct lanes to be in. This does not make them "stupid." Are you Mr. Perfect when you visit a town that you've never been to and always know what lane to be in? I don't think so....

Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Oh no!

Seriously who gives a crap whether somebody waves or not. If it bothers you so much that somebody you don't know doesn't wave, you are the one with the problem.

There is a reason cutting in line and chinese cuts are frowned upon in elementary school. Why shoudl driving be any different.
What the heck is a chinese cut? How can anybody hate anything that's polite? Are you in such a hurry that you can't be nice to other people?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
What the heck is a chinese cut? How can anybody hate anything that's polite? Are you in such a hurry that you can't be nice to other people?
I'm with you, InLondon and Missy.

Tibor75 is (a) a borderline troll, (b) very miserable person, (c) just takes pleasure in being impolite or (d) some combination of the aforementioned.

By the way, when I posted my above rant last week I was having a particularly bad day. Still, a noticeable contingent of Lexington drivers really do irk me.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 AM

200 posts, read 806,913 times
Why would someone hate a polite driver? lol.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
Why would someone hate a polite driver? lol.
I can't imagine being in such a hurry that I would hate someone who is polite. How miserable does one have to be to be that way?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 AM

109 posts, read 405,366 times
Default Positive Memories of Lexington (except for some drivers!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I can't imagine being in such a hurry that I would hate someone who is polite. How miserable does one have to be to be that way?
Missymomof3, I think you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she drives. People who believe they are more important than others will act that way on the road.
I think everyone who is just beginning a relationship should pay close attention to how the other person treats others on the road (also to how that person treats hotel staff, waitpersons and others in a serving capacity). It says a lot about character.
With that being said, I have to say my visit to Lexington a few years ago was very pleasant. Lexington is one of the few places I have visited that looks even better than I had imagined it would look. I found the people to be very open, trusting and friendly. Only one shop person that I encountered seemed guarded or unfriendly. And I do remind myself when someone is that way that perhaps troubling personal circumstances are behind the seeming rudeness. Certain places seem to emanate an aloof or reserved vibe over all, but Lexington, for me, was not one of those places. All in all, I did find people in Lexington to be warm and talkative.
I will say, however, that some of the drivers (who were mostly driving pickups) were very hostile on the road to my boyfriend and me, who were riding balloon-tire bicycles that we bought at Kmart when we got there (cheaper than renting). We only saw two other people on the road (on separate occasions) who were riding bicycles, and both had not been on bikes for some time. I had the impression that the people in Lexington didn't ride bicycles very much, because every time we passed a group of cows, they would all gawk at us for a few moments and then turn tail and run away all at once in pure terror! Yet, huge, rumbling farm trucks would roar by and they'd hardly notice. The scariest moment for the two of us was trying to get back from Frankfort to Georgetown on a busy road with no shoulder before the sun set. A lot of drivers seemed to relish riding close enough to us to cause serious panic, while shouting and honking their horns, even though we were as far to the side of the road as we could safely ride. (As I mentioned earlier, these were usually the ones driving pickups).
This was twenty years ago, so maybe things have drastically changed, for better or for worse. The people we met on the street and in the shops were just wonderful, however!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area