Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Its OK, but there isn't really much to do here unless you have a family. Guess I'm spoiled as I moved here from Denver, CO because of a company transfer. I've been here a year and a half and I find I don't like it as much as Colorado. The climate, gray skies and summer heat with humidity isn't very comfortable. People accuse me of being a Yankee, and in general while some are friendly, many are a bit reserved. I'm not a UK fan and I'm not religious which are the two main things here. I'm starting to look for a job in Denver as I want to get back there. Lexington has some bright spots, but not enough to make me want to spend the rest of my life here.
Colorado and Kentucky are vastly different, that's for sure. I'm sure Colorado would be a shock for me, but there's only one way to know if I like it better than Kentucky, and that's by living there.

I hope you can make it back to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Have to say, went to Lexington tonight and sensed the snooty aura in the air. People weren't smiling at all; in fact, at least 50% of the people I walked past or encountered looked p**sed off at the world. The retail and restaurant clerks weren't particularly warm; in fact, at Starbucks, one guy acted like he was doing a favor by just taking an order.

You know, I was in Chicago last month. I noticed FAR more people in ONE DAY who would say "thank you," "appreciate it," or some verbal form of common courtesy when being served than I've noticed in Lexington in three days. Southern hospitality, ya'll!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Yep, I'm in Los Angeles and people here are VERY warm and welcoming. Haven't met a snooty suburbanite yet.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Yep, I'm in Los Angeles and people here are VERY warm and welcoming. Haven't met a snooty suburbanite yet.
LOL. I HAVE felt an embrace from every suburbanite I've ever met. I just wanted to kiss them. LOL/j/k.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 AM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Have to say, went to Lexington tonight and sensed the snooty aura in the air. People weren't smiling at all; in fact, at least 50% of the people I walked past or encountered looked p**sed off at the world. The retail and restaurant clerks weren't particularly warm; in fact, at Starbucks, one guy acted like he was doing a favor by just taking an order.

You know, I was in Chicago last month. I noticed FAR more people in ONE DAY who would say "thank you," "appreciate it," or some verbal form of common courtesy when being served than I've noticed in Lexington in three days. Southern hospitality, ya'll!

If it is so bad for you when you come to lexington do yourself a favor and stop visiting...it sounds like you are seeking out bad things to say and notice about the city...who drives around in their car looking to see if people are smiling or not anyway...I wish I had that kind of time in my life. If the ratio of smiles to frowns that you see is your biggest problem in life then I would say you are doing pretty well. It seems you get your feeling hurt when you aren't talked to in the tone you think you should hear. Maybe the starbucks person was busy or distracted....who cares. I get plenty of hellos and kind acts done for me and as for the snooty air you say you detect well like I said before I don't know where you are getting that from but in seven years of living here I have never had that from anyone. I bet if I drove over to louisville or any other town in this state and did a head count of smiles on the street then it would be about the same...(i have a life though). Do us a favor here and next time you are coming to town give us all a heads up then we can throw smiles on our faces and talk to you in a manner in which won't hurt your ego or feelings.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
If it is so bad for you when you come to lexington do yourself a favor and stop visiting...it sounds like you are seeking out bad things to say and notice about the city...who drives around in their car looking to see if people are smiling or not anyway...I wish I had that kind of time in my life. If the ratio of smiles to frowns that you see is your biggest problem in life then I would say you are doing pretty well. It seems you get your feeling hurt when you aren't talked to in the tone you think you should hear. Maybe the starbucks person was busy or distracted....who cares. I get plenty of hellos and kind acts done for me and as for the snooty air you say you detect well like I said before I don't know where you are getting that from but in seven years of living here I have never had that from anyone. I bet if I drove over to louisville or any other town in this state and did a head count of smiles on the street then it would be about the same...(i have a life though). Do us a favor here and next time you are coming to town give us all a heads up then we can throw smiles on our faces and talk to you in a manner in which won't hurt your ego or feelings.
Exactly. JCM's posts remind me of a person from the north who comes down south one time and searches out all the rednecks that fit their preconceived stereotype. They may see 100 instances that contradict that stereotype, but they will not remember those. They will only remember the Billy Bob with a big wad of chaw, a coon dog and a gun rack on his beat up pickup truck they saw at the gas station. Then they head back up to whereever they are from and tell their friends, "the whole south is just full of rednecks, I once saw a guy at a gas station in Kentucky..."

I also find it very ironic that he complains that Lexington is full of pretentious suburbanites, yet he wants to move to either Houston or DFW! Houston and Dallas take snobby suburban attitudes to a level Kentucky will never see. It is all about image. I've been to Dallas a few times and have friends that live there. I was amazed at the number of middle aged women who have obviously had plastic surgery.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Exactly. JCM's posts remind me of a person from the north who comes down south one time and searches out all the rednecks that fit their preconceived stereotype. They may see 100 instances that contradict that stereotype, but they will not remember those. They will only remember the Billy Bob with a big wad of chaw, a coon dog and a gun rack on his beat up pickup truck they saw at the gas station. Then they head back up to whereever they are from and tell their friends, "the whole south is just full of rednecks, I once saw a guy at a gas station in Kentucky..."
Ummmm...I realize that the vast majority of Kentuckians don't fit the backwoods stereotype. That said, some towns have a high population of these stereotypes. Sometimes, it's easy to notice even though I'm not looking for them. Especially the farther east you go from Louisville and Bardstown...

Quote:
I also find it very ironic that he complains that Lexington is full of pretentious suburbanites, yet he wants to move to either Houston or DFW! Houston and Dallas take snobby suburban attitudes to a level Kentucky will never see. It is all about image. I've been to Dallas a few times and have friends that live there. I was amazed at the number of middle aged women who have obviously had plastic surgery.
True. North Dallas and West Plano around Dallas and Kingwood and The Woodlands around Houston do have some very snooty areas. But, Houston and D/FW are SO LARGE and that sector of the population is fragmented into select areas, so it is very easy to avoid these people if I choose (and I will!)

In Lexington, not the case. It's a much smaller place. The city has a high population of "wannabe" rich folks, which tend to often be more "uppity" acting than real rich folks. Therefore, the "faux rich" affect is much more saturated throughout the city in general than in large American cities.

Look, I didn't love living in Louisville, but every time I go back to visit the feelings are positive overall and I don't regret going. It is so much more vibrant and interesting yet relaxing than Lexington. I visit Lexington more often now since it's slightly closer to my house, but I feel like I have to have a Mountain Dew once I cross back into Woodford Co. for a kind of happy energy boost.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-25-2008 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 AM

108 posts, read 452,251 times
Lexington is a decent enough town. It's surrounded by beautiful scenery and has a pretty good selection of restaurants and bookstores. I haven't noticed more snootiness there than in other cities of similar size, but then again I've never lived there so that may be why I've never noticed it. I guess I wouldn't mind living in Lexington, but it sure is a pain to get from one end of town to the other. New Circle Rd. seems to be completely inadequate as a beltway around the city. Parts of it aren't even limited access, and it needs twice as many lanes.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Ummmm...I realize that the vast majority of Kentuckians don't fit the backwoods stereotype. That said, some towns have a high population of these stereotypes. Sometimes, it's easy to notice even though I'm not looking for them. Especially the farther east you go from Louisville and Bardstown...

True. North Dallas and West Plano around Dallas and Kingwood and The Woodlands around Houston do have some very snooty areas. But, Houston and D/FW are SO LARGE and that sector of the population is fragmented into select areas, so it is very easy to avoid these people if I choose (and I will!)

In Lexington, not the case. It's a much smaller place. The city has a high population of "wannabe" rich folks, which tend to often be more "uppity" acting than real rich folks. Therefore, the "faux rich" affect is much more saturated throughout the city in general than in large American cities.

Look, I didn't love living in Louisville, but every time I go back to visit the feelings are positive overall and I don't regret going. It is so much more vibrant and interesting yet relaxing than Lexington. I visit Lexington more often now since it's slightly closer to my house, but I feel like I have to have a Mountain Dew once I cross back into Woodford Co. for a kind of happy energy boost.
Like I said previously....if you need an energy boost after visiting Lexington then do yourself a favor and just don't come and save yourself from a depression. Also...if Lexington is not...how did you put it "vibrant and interesting" than what reason do you have to come. If it is as bad as you say why do you continue to visit closer or not. Could it be it offers some things for you to do and it may not be all that bad? You certainly deserve to have your own opinions but have them with an open mind. I doubt you will find anything good about a place that as soon as you enter it's city limits you are in search of the frown or the unkind behavior of some. I'm not the biggest fan of Louisville but I certainly don't look for everything I don't like about it when I visit. What exactly do you need to make a city interesting to you? I'll put the word out and we can all change.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,116 times
Umm I live in Lexington and dont seek out people being rude and I agree withjcm. Not everyone but alot of people I come into contact with have a attitude. I cant tell you how many dirty looks my wife and I get when we are in the mall, I think it is because we are young and have a child toghter people think we are some broke kids. We went into one store and I swear it looked as if a lady had eatin an lemon the look she gave us. However the other day we did meet a nice young couple and talked with about children for a while. Maybe it's once you get old here you become a jerk, either way still waiting to be transfered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area