U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times

Advertisements

As a relatively new driver I agree with the two above statements. However I did pass the new test that was instituted to obtain an intermediate license with flying colors! A common sense test would be good idea though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM

10,245 posts, read 21,735,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

Something else: If New Circle is ever widened to eight lanes in its limited-access portion, I'd love to see the left lane made into an alternating HOV lane. For example, it could be HOV from 6:45-8:30AM and 4:00-6:15PM on weekdays, then serve as a regular traffic lane at all other times. Most importantly, do this in the inner and outer loops from Richmond to Versailles Roads.

Lexington has talked about widening New Circle Rd for 20 years... I really doubt anything will be done for another 20 years. To widen the non freeway part would require widening 3 rail road underpasses... it took 3 years just to widen the one for Reynold Rd, it was also a very expensive project. Lexington's traffic problems are really swifting population growth to Jessamine, Scott, and Madison Cos. New growth for Fayette Co is lower now than in the 1950s, despite decent schools and very little violent crime

Fayette Co net growth by decade:
Fayette County, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1940s: 21,847
1950s: 31,160
1960s: 42,417
1970s: 29,842
1980s: 21,201
1990s: 35,146
2000s on pace for: 26,474

Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 AM

270 posts, read 859,386 times
The best thing we could do to improve traffic in Lexington, IMHO, is to fire the city's traffic engineer and hire a professional who knows how to time the traffic signals correctly!! There are so many intersections where the timing of the lights makes no sense at all. The ones that immediately come to mind are New Circle at Alumni; Man O'War at Sir Barton, Winchester Road at I-75....I could go on and on.

I think there must be a chimpanzee programming Lexington's traffic lights! Anyone else have specific intersections that seem "out of whack"?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
The best thing we could do to improve traffic in Lexington, IMHO, is to fire the city's traffic engineer and hire a professional who knows how to time the traffic signals correctly!! There are so many intersections where the timing of the lights makes no sense at all. The ones that immediately come to mind are New Circle at Alumni; Man O'War at Sir Barton, Winchester Road at I-75....I could go on and on.

I think there must be a chimpanzee programming Lexington's traffic lights! Anyone else have specific intersections that seem "out of whack"?

No lie. When I drive Richmond Rd. downtown from Hayes Blvd. I hit almost every light red. That's really, really stupid.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM

688 posts, read 2,811,215 times
Ditto - the light cycles are screwy. I've sat at an empty intersection on Nicholasville Rd late at night, with phantom cars getting green lights while my lonely self had to wait through three cycles.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 AM

270 posts, read 859,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Ditto - the light cycles are screwy. I've sat at an empty intersection on Nicholasville Rd late at night, with phantom cars getting green lights while my lonely self had to wait through three cycles.
Yes, that's VERY frustrating. There's one particular traffic signal that I hit every day on Winchester Road at the new Patchen Wilkes subdivision. Lines of traffic stop from both directions so that the non-existent cars can exit from the subdivision. Screwy indeed!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 33,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
All the road improvements would be great, but the greatest thing that would improve Lexington's roads is this: teach people to drive! I love Lexington, but the worst drivers I have ever seen live in this lovely city.
I am a Lexington naive all the way and a huge fan of UK sports. I will have to disagree with you that Lexington drivers are not worst drivers... I am actually surprised that they drive pretty well. I moved out of Lexington in 2003 to attend RIT in Rochester, NY and it was so horrible. There was a lot of cut offs and road rages. I got into an accident by doing t-bone. That guy crossed the lane and tried to get on oppose lane as i drive on other lane and he got into front of me and hit him at 45 mph. It was worse accident i've ever had. Also, someone hit and run my car in rochester at a different time.

After i met my new wife at RIT. She is from Point Pleasant, NJ. After being together for 4 years as bf/gf relationship. I lived in NJ for 2 summers and one full year. There are a lot of speeders along on Garden State Parkway. There are so many accidents during my stay in NJ and they actually had to reduce the speed limit from 65 mph to 55 mph and i wasnt too happy about it. I blame on those bad drivers. Point Pleasant is located on the shore in center of NJ and if i ever want to go up north to visit some of friends. The further you go up north.. it get worse.. i really have to pay attention for cut off or i'll rear end someone!

After returning back to Lexington.. I noticed that Kentucky increased the speed to 70 from 65.. i was glad! Now.. Lexington.. or Kentucky drivers arent the worst!

Anyways...

After inherting a house in Lexington, KY... My wife and i got married in NJ and moved to Lexington (yay.. home sweet home!) I saw a lot of improvements in Lexington. They improved new circle road.. with turns, etc. However, after being gone since 2003.. ( i moved back this year 2008) and I did noticed that the traffic's a lot worse. I was kinda shocked to see how Lexington has grown so fast when i was gone for 5 years. All of New circle road except for north east from russel cave to woodhill shows nice flow of traffic. However, northeast circle road really need a major improvement.

My suggestion for this improvement would be....

First off.. Northeast have a lot of traffic lights and it cause a major backup and some cars are stuck in middle of instercation (I live off Old Paris Rd on right side as you head up north) I've witness this a lot. Its horrible.. As you know there are a lot of shoppings area that are too close to new circle rd. They should remove left turn lane and create right ramp .. like for an example:

I am driving westward on new circle rd heading to limestone/oldparis but i want to get on limestone and head toward to downtown but since i said .. no more left turn.. so you have to stay on right lane and get onto the ramp and turn round get onto old paris rd and wait for stop light to turn green and then you cross the circle road toward to limestone.

But.. there's con on this one... you need big space for this. I dont think Lexington's ready for it. There's a lot of no left turn.. only right onto the ramp in New Jersey. I really liked their design but still Lexington's not ready for it. I got a bit confused until my wife pointed out that the system was different so i had a hard time trying to get used to it!

I think its too late to improve new circle road in north east.. I just wish that new circle road was non stop flow with no traffic lights all the way.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,174,022 times
Really, all you can do is improve the roads here & there to relieve it somewhat. But you'll never be able to fix the main problem, which is to run a freeway (yes, that means NO traffic lights) throughout the city, because its just impossible now with the city set up the way it is.

Also if you got some kind of light transit system in place to get people out of their cars more often & condensed the city more towards the center instead of continuing to build outwards, that would help a lot too.

Cars are fastly becoming a very impractical & COSTLY way to get around these days. Its pretty ridiculous if you add up the total amount of money you spend on just owning & maintaining a car per month. Its like a freakin' mortgage payment.

BTW, I hear people bitching about the traffic in Lex all the time & its really not that bad. I think its because many of the residents have never really lived outside the area or they came from smaller towns & have never seen what REAL traffic is like, so I always hear things like "OMG, it takes me 15 minutes to get to work!" Thats seriously not that bad people.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 PM

185 posts, read 371,026 times
Richmond Rd... plain and simple. This throughough fair was designed two centuries ago when traffic was much less. From Ashland Av. to the Belt Line, it is an absolute mess. It will detract from the beauty, but does the city want growth, or charm?

Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,723,483 times
I think one thing that would help is to add a lot more roundabouts. There's too many flippin red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or