Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times

Advertisements

I'm the guy that was bored and posted something about public rail in Louisville. I figured I'd post something here in the Lexington forum.

Lexington isn't quite ready for rail, so that's out. However, for a city of its size, it does have some substantial traffic headaches. I'll elaborate more on my ideas later if you like, but here are a few I can think of:

• Widen New Circle to eight lanes in its limited-access portions and 6-8 lanes in its non-limited-access portions.
  • Add one more lane to Nicholasville Rd. in each direction from Southland Drive to the south end of the Nicholasville by-pass.
  • Reconfigure New Circle interchanges at Versailles, Harrodsburg, Nicholasville, and Tates Creek Roads to smooth traffic flow and complete eliminate stoplights.
  • Widen all of Man O'War to 6-8 lanes and extend it to I-64 east.
  • Extend I-64 from its southern split westward to New Circle near Industry Road.
  • Widen Versailles Road to six lanes all the way to the Versailles by-pass.
  • Widen Harrodsburg Road to four lanes all the way to Harrodsburg.
  • Widen Leestown Road all the way to KY 341/I-64 at Midway.
  • Reduce the amount of traffic lights and increase the amount of right-in-right-out only junctions on Man O' War, New Circle, Nicholasville, Harrodsburg, and even Richmond Roads.
  • Widen neighborhood roads such as Lane Allen, Armstrong Mill, Todds, Liberty, Palumbo, Chinoe, Wilson Downing, E. Reynolds, Fontaine, Beaumont Center, Alexandria, Red Mile, and Forbes to 4-5 lanes where possible.
I don't think any of these ideas are too far-fetched to help bring the Lexington MSA's road system from 1979 feasibility to at least 1999 feasibility. What do Lexingtonians think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM

486 posts, read 1,888,705 times
I'm using a cell phone here so my reply won't be as long as it could be. I like all of your ideas, especially widening New Circle road and Leestown road. Actually, Liberty road is under construction so we'll have to see what the finished project will look like. One question though. You mentioned extending I 64 to Industry road via US 60. Are you talking about making a spur route?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I'm using a cell phone here so my reply won't be as long as it could be. I like all of your ideas, especially widening New Circle road and Leestown road. Actually, Liberty road is under construction so we'll have to see what the finished project will look like. One question though. You mentioned extending I 64 to Industry road via US 60. Are you talking about making a spur route?
Liberty is under construction, yes, but it's only to be a 2-lane route. They've had the project all over the news, and that part of Lex. is growing fastest, so my reaction was like "WTF?" Disappointing.

I-64 ext. would be a spur route, yes, from its current terminus to the New Circle/Industry intersection. It would only need to be four lanes.

Actually, better than that, why not go from the I-75 northern split, build a new I-75 spur aligned exactly in Georgetown Road's right-of-way. This would provide a connection straight to downtown. The spur could end at the new Newtown Pike ext., Cox St., or Manchester St. Yeah, I like that.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
The main traffic holdups seem to be around New Circle Road on the South End. The intersections should a least be made into diamonds like the Winchester Rd exit, and Nicholasville Rd exit should have fly over ramps like Shelbyville Rd @ the Watterson in L'ville

Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM

I'd vouch for flyover/clover hybrids on New Circle at Newtown, Versailles, Harrodsburg, and Nicholasville.

Man O' War, in addition to widening, could use the urban diamond interchanges you mentioned at its busiest intersections--Harrodsburg, Clays Mill, Boston (maybe), Nicholasville, Tates Creek, Alumni, Richmond, Todds, and Sir Barton.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:15 PM

On less busy roads like Clays Mill, roundabouts would be interesting

Old 06-21-2008, 03:14 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
On less busy roads like Clays Mill, roundabouts would be interesting
I wish there were lots more roundabouts in use in the US. The one on Reynolds Road in Lexington is very efficient and is better than sitting at a traffic light.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM

486 posts, read 1,888,705 times
I love the roundabout idea! I have LOTS of family in northern Indianapolis (Carmel and Fishers to be exact) and probably 40- 50% of smaller intersections have roundabouts. Very efficient.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:57 AM

714 posts, read 1,533,073 times
LOVE roundabouts! Used to live in Hilton Head over a summer break in college and they are everywhere! Much better than 4 way, or 3 way stops!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Everyone complains about the one at Reynolds and Keithshire Way, but I've always found it safe and efficient to use. I really hope some are added when Clays Mill and Liberty Road are widened, but I'm not holding my breath

The nice thing about roundabouts is they are much more energy efficient, because cars don't waste gas idling when it would be clear enough to go if the light wasn't red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area