U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:45 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,229,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It's not Louisville KY it's Louisville, Colorado if that makes a difference.
It does indeed. When I was in our Louisville last weekend I saw a Vienna hot-dog stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:46 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,287,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It does indeed. When I was in our Louisville last weekend I saw a Vienna hot-dog stand.
What does that mean my dear????

Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
What does that mean my dear????

Very popular hot-dog in Chicago. All beef and Kosher. Chicago is a big hot-dog town with hot-dog stands all over the place, my favorite is Gene and Judes.

Kindest Regards

Vienna Beef - Gene & Jude's

Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 AM

439 posts, read 1,131,801 times
I would KILL for a Chicago dog, with some Mario's italian ice. God I miss Chicago food.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
Old Chicago is nothing like real Chicago pizza. It's a chain- I ate ate the one in Evansville, Indiana a few months ago. It's good, but it's nothing to write home about.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
I would KILL for a Chicago dog, with some Mario's italian ice.
Then go across the street and get a double sausage at Al's.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 13,800 times
Bobak's! I want bratwurst, dangit!!

Nothing like Nicky's on Archer & Austin back in the 70s with the dogs and greasy fries... yum...

I swear wherever I end up I'm opening up a pizza joint and doing it right

I'll have to try Donato's, though, when/if I ever get there

Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 13,800 times
And no, I (we) don't have a problem with things not being like back home, but don't claim to have Chicago pizza or Philly cheesesteaks, etc. if you're not doing them right.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM

688 posts, read 2,811,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnman1999 View Post
And no, I (we) don't have a problem with things not being like back home, but don't claim to have Chicago pizza or Philly cheesesteaks, etc. if you're not doing them right.

Ditto! After spending my childhood in Chicago and Philly areas, it is sad to see these places open up and try to imitate the food without really caring how it turns out.

Believe me, I have no problem with eating KY style food when I'm living in Kentucky...but don't try to bring in and capitalize on "Chicago-style" food when you don't understand it or care enough to make it authentic.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM

6,794 posts, read 14,254,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The company's from Louisville and doesn't offer Old Style beer.

"Old Chicago" my fat Irish ass.

Nischr, next time I'm up home I'll bring ya back some Johnny's from Elmwood Park. Not that Portillo's ain't good but I don't think it holds with places like Johnny's, Al's, Carm's and Bouna's. I'll stop at Bobak's and get ya some Polish saasig too.
Old Chicago is CRAP. The chain polluted Louisville's suburbs a couple years ago. And yes, it is based out of Colorado. The only chain pizza worth a damn is California Pizza Kitchen.

The only real pizza I have found in the state exists in Louisville:

Spinelli's, Oak St. Pizza, Tony Boombazz, and Impellizeri's are the stars, and Luigi's is good for lunch. Still, none compare to a good Chicago style. In fact, Oak St Pizza is more NYC style but it is one of the only places that uses real, spicy Italian sauage chunks and not that cheap processed junk. Two places do Chicago style deep dish decent, though. One is Windy City Pizzeria and the other is Sportstime Pizza at the NABC in New Albany, IN (which wins national brewing awards too!) A local Italian pub that gives me a Chicago feel is Come Back Inn, which is locating on a working class corner that looks like it could be in Cicero.

Louisville has Chicago beef and dogs covered too, with around a half a dozen places opened by expatriots now. The two stars are Lonnie's Best Taste of Chicago and KC's Chicago dogs on Bardstown Road. There is a good place in Crestwood too, by a car wash, but I cannot recall the name. Derby City Dogs is a local knock off located on a main bar strip in the Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area