Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:01 AM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times

Advertisements

I noticed a new restaurant is opening in Hamburg...Sign says it's called Old Chicago. Does anyone know anything about this restaurant? I'm kinda excited about it. I ate at the Melting Pot opening day and it was awesome! Hope this restaurant is something a little new to our area as well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
I noticed a new restaurant is opening in Hamburg...Sign says it's called Old Chicago. Does anyone know anything about this restaurant? I'm kinda excited about it. I ate at the Melting Pot opening day and it was awesome! Hope this restaurant is something a little new to our area as well!!

Old Chicago is a restaurant that features Chicago style pizza among other things and usually has a very extensive beer selection. Its pretty good and somewhat like a TGIF or Bennigans pub like place. I use to go to the one in Boulder on Pearl Street.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Old Chicago eh? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Here is their company website: Old Chicago Website

Looks like they have Italian beefs, so I will defintely try it!

Now, do I think that it can possibly match the delicious beefs from our local neighborhood pizza joint in Chicago? No....but maybe close enough that I won't have to have Portillo's shipped in to satisfy those cravings!!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 PM

The company's from Louisville and doesn't offer Old Style beer.

"Old Chicago" my fat Irish ass.

Nischr, next time I'm up home I'll bring ya back some Johnny's from Elmwood Park. Not that Portillo's ain't good but I don't think it holds with places like Johnny's, Al's, Carm's and Bouna's. I'll stop at Bobak's and get ya some Polish saasig too.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Thanks irishtom

We are probably heading back to visit my family over July 4th, so I will have to get my fill then.

I agree - Portillo's isn't my FAVORITE but they do have a pretty decent (if overpriced) beef kit that they will overnight to you...which satisfies a craving in a pinch if you can fork out the $$ for it. We've shipped it in for a party before, but none of KY neighbors seemed as excited as I was about it.

I read a review of another Old Chicago online and it said that their beefs were pretty generic french dip style subs. Boo.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'm going up last week in July.

Portillo's beef is good and I don't think anyone does a better hot-dog. I remember when he had a little wagon, now he's big-time.

I had a pizza from Donato's again tonight; thin crispy crust cut in squares, just like in the old neighborhood. Sauce was tasty with a bite and the cheese and sausage used were OK. Not bad, not bad at all. Best pizza I've had in Lexington.

Regards

Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The company's from Louisville and doesn't offer Old Style beer.

"Old Chicago" my fat Irish ass.

Nischr, next time I'm up home I'll bring ya back some Johnny's from Elmwood Park. Not that Portillo's ain't good but I don't think it holds with places like Johnny's, Al's, Carm's and Bouna's. I'll stop at Bobak's and get ya some Polish saasig too.
It's not Louisville KY it's Louisville, Colorado if that makes a difference.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Old Chicago eh? Somehow I doubt it.
Northerners get on Southerners nerves because they move to the South in droves and expect things to be exactly like it was in Chicago, Kalamazoo, Buffalo or wherever the hell they come from. Well you're not in Kalamazoo anymore. Deal with it.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Northerners get on Southerners nerves because they move to the South in droves and expect things to be exactly like it was in Chicago, Kalamazoo, Buffalo or wherever the hell they come from. Well you're not in Kalamazoo anymore. Deal with it.
Nah, I don't expect everything to be like Chicago, just things that advertise themselves as being like Chicago. Is that unreasonable?

Anyway we Yankees are down here now with our own notions and with plenty of dough too. We're changing things, you'll have to deal with that.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-22-2008 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area