U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,964 times

Advertisements

On my only visit to check out Oliva Bella EVOO's, I felt what they were doing was a bit of style-over-substance, if not a little too fru-fru for my liking.
Being a long-time Balducci's/Zabbar's/Fairway shopper in NYC, I think the only place in Lexington to buy specialty foods, fresh-baked breads, and deli under one roof is either the Harrodsburg Rd. or the newer Hamburg Liquor Barn.
On one visit in February, I purchased (among other things) 6 different litres of EVOO ('05 and '06 harvest btw), all well under the almost $50 per litre Oliva Bella commands.
A Tuscan, an Umbrian, a Ligurian, a Provence, a Californian and an Aussie from their vast selection of over 50 different extra-virgin olive oils.
Sure, they have a handful of "supermarket" EVOO to make the average user comfortable, but the vast majority are world-class small producers who produce far less than Oliva Bella's "family stash" (as claimed on their web site).
As for the cheeses at Oliva Bella, Lexington finds them all at The Liquor Barn at the right price. (AND selected, aged, cut and wrapped under the watchful eye of the premiere cheesemonger in The Commonwealth).
For the life of me, I don't know why one would shop anywhere else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:19 AM

270 posts, read 858,576 times
I'd love to find a local restaurant to get a great, tasty gyro! The best I've ever had came from a small dive in Chicago (Greektown Gyros), but I'm not expecting to find anything that authentic. Anyone have any suggestions for good gyros in Lexington?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,198,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
I'd love to find a local restaurant to get a great, tasty gyro! The best I've ever had came from a small dive in Chicago (Greektown Gyros), but I'm not expecting to find anything that authentic. Anyone have any suggestions for good gyros in Lexington?

I tried the gyros at the Mid-Eastern joint on Richmond road, by the Verizon store. It was lousy.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM

688 posts, read 2,808,868 times
Have you tried Instanbul Palace? It is Turkish/Lebanese. I personally haven't been there before, but I've heard good things about their gyros from others:
http://www.istanbulpalace.net/

Supposedly they actually slow-cook the meat on a spit, not flat grill it like some of the so-called gyros places do.

ETA - Another place I haven't tried is that Coney Island mom-and-pop on Lane Allen, but I know they were featuring gyros in their window ads a little while ago. They seem like more of a general fast-foodish greasy spoon, so who knows?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Have you tried Instanbul Palace? It is Turkish/Lebanese. I personally haven't been there before, but I've heard good things about their gyros from others:
istanbulpalace.net

Supposedly they actually slow-cook the meat on a spit, not flat grill it like some of the so-called gyros places do.
Is that the place over on Waller Avenue, across from St. Joe? If so, I have heard about it, but haven't eaten there...mainly, because I couldn't find anyone who had eaten there previously. I did stop in to pick up a menu and wasn't all that impressed with the looks of the place, but if the gyros are good, then I'm willing to overlook that. Thanks for the tip, nlschr...I guess I'm going to have to try it for myself!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Yep - that is it. I haven't been there myself, so update us if you go!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM

OK, I went to the Istanbul Palace today and picked up a couple of gyros.

Not bad. The guy has his own take on the seasoning which while not traditional was good. But not the most generous with the meat and the meat wasn't well done and crusty the way I prefer.

But not bad, I'll try it again.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 07-28-2008 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
OK, I went to the Istanbul Palace today and picked up a couple of gyros.

Not bad. The guy has his own take on the seasoning which while not traditional eas good. But not the most generous with the meat and the meat wasn't well done and crusty the way I prefer.

But not bad, I'll try it again.
Thanks for the review, Tom! Now I'll have to try it out for myself!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Wow Tom you move fast!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Wow Tom you move fast!

Somebody in this town has to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area