Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Anyone else noticed that Millpond Center is nearly HALF empty these days? All thats left now is a Chinese Restaurant, Subway, Vet Clinic, and the two anchor stores.

I couldn't ever imagine such a nice shopping center in an area with a median income of $60,000+ doing so bad... this is really a sign of the times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:42 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Anyone else noticed that Millpond Center is nearly HALF empty these days? All thats left now is a Chinese Restaurant, Subway, Vet Clinic, and the two anchor stores.

I couldn't ever imagine such a nice shopping center in an area with a median income of $60,000+ doing so bad... this is really a sign of the times
I'm thinking it's because there's several other much better shopping centers on the southside of Lexington. Millpond is just a small neighborhood center, which usually only has small stores.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM

121 posts, read 515,226 times
I don't think it has anything to do with Lexington, but rather a sign of the economy.

When I first moved here, I kept passing the big block that has the Victorian Shoppes (on N. Broadway). I couldn't wait to go in there and check them out, but when I did, they just seemed so...empty.

I moved here from Tampa, and the shopping plazas were the same there. Many of the stores that settled into new plazas only six months ago have either changed hands, or are gone all together.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Lexington, but rather a sign of the economy.
The economy is not that bad, especially not in Lexington.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:25 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
I think it has more to do with all the new stuff that is just down the road by the mall. You can get anything you want 3 minutes away. People like to go to new or updated shopping centers, Millpond is neither. The place will survive as long as Kroger is there.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM

820 posts, read 2,867,895 times
I think it's a combination of factors. Millpond is very "neighborish"... it's not going to attract people from other areas. It's strictly a neighborhood shopping center. With the economy like it is, everything is suffering somewhat. I don't shop like I did a year ago or more. Then when you look around at Fayette Mall, Brannon Crossing, etc., there's TONS of shopping going up all around the south side. Lots of options.

I agree with Lexpert - as long as Kroger anchors the place, it will be around. Plus the additions across the street may keep more people in that area. I'd hate to loose my Kroger!!!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
a sign of the economy.
Not true.

I live a block from Millpond & rarely go there. Instead I find myself at Fayette Mall, WalMart and Lexington Green.

It has nothing to do with the economy (despite the liberal's spin) and more to do with being too large for the neighborhood & not enough unique shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area