U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM

121 posts, read 474,574 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone here can tell me what's going on with a bookstore called Whittington's Books. It's located on North Limestone, right by Le Deauville and Columbia Steakhouse.

We passed by there tonight and peeked in the windows, thinking what a great old bookstore it looked like. Instead, we saw books piled nearly floor to ceiling all through the inside. Some of the piles had already fallen over, and there was no floor space left to even navigate through it.

Strangely, the door next door was piled with more books, and there was a long stairway that led up to what we assumed were living quarters, with piles of books on each step.

Obviously the place is no longer open, but we were wondering if anyone could shed some light on the mystery. The whole thing just struck us as a Twilight Zone episode, complete with a possibly extremely eccentric owner. Does anyone know how long it's been shut down? Who owns it? Any future plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,543,645 times
Oh my, that is bizarre. If you hear the story, please do post it on here.

Have you been to Glover's Bookstore on South Broadway? Love that one.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM

121 posts, read 474,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Oh my, that is bizarre. If you hear the story, please do post it on here.

Have you been to Glover's Bookstore on South Broadway? Love that one.
Yes, Glover's Bookery! I just love that place. I've been there twice so far, and both times have lost complete track of time.

Love the cash register there, too. Older than dirt, wooden, and still works like a perfect charm.

I can't find a THING about Whittington's, save for one odd reference on a blog that reminisced about "Old Chuck's place." (Chuck Whittington being the owner, I'd imagine.) Now my curiosity is piqued...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,893 times
Charles "Chuck" Whittington owned Whittington books. Not sure what happened to the store. I used to be best friends with his stepson...until I grew older and moved cross county. (Their house looked identical to the store, books from floor to ceiling) Lost touch. Typically Chuck could be found at Woodland Park playing tennis. Larger build fellow with a Santa Clause beard. Incredible tennis competitor...not sure if I ever did beat him. Wonderful to talk with, I wish I had appreciated him more when I was younger. Sure would like to find Seth....

Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

218 posts, read 564,954 times
I talked to Charles Whittington today at the Farmers Market on Southland Dr. He looks well and told me that the book store has not been open for a few months now but that he still lives above it. He says that he wishes to sell all the books, probably on e-bay or other online process. For now he spends a lot of time just playing music(banjo and guitar) at the Farmers Market and with friends(the firehouse pickers). Seth got married about a year ago and moved to Frankfort, Ky where his new wife has two children. Charles said that he has straightened out his life and become a useful member of society(but thats just how dads talk about their kids).

All in all, I doubt that the bookstore will reopen.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
I would like to know more about whittington books.I am interested in buying books to open my own book store

Last edited by gdailey; 05-30-2014 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 AM

10,928 posts, read 9,003,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdailey View Post
I would like to know more about whittington books.I am interested in buying books to open my own book store
From the information in the post above yours, Mr. Whittington should be pretty easy to locate. If he's not at the Farmer's Market (Sundays on Southland Drive), ask at the fire station on Old Richmond Road (visible from I-75), which is home to the bluegrass music gatherings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area