Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM

9 posts, read 35,436 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions? We just had Corky's tonight (blech) and are going to be trying Billys BBQ later this weekend.

THANKS!!

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
What kind of BBQ do you like? The Memphis sort or the Western Kentucky sort? ... do you like it very sweet or slightly vinegar-y ... or just how?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I like the pulled pork at Billy's but not the ribs. They make fresh cut fries which is reason enough to go there.

I had some very good Texas style brisket today at the Ken-Tex BBQ in Shelbyville. Good potato salad too.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 PM

121 posts, read 515,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarlaB View Post
Any suggestions? We just had Corky's tonight (blech) and are going to be trying Billys BBQ later this weekend.

THANKS!!

Laura
It's ironic - WE were just about to go to Corky's this weekend because we didn't enjoy our experience Billy's.

To be fair, Billy's was both good and bad.

The good: Their fries were outstanding, the coleslaw was excellent, and the chicken was very, very good. As an aside, they have a shaker bottle on the table filled with seasoning. Pick it up, flip it upside-down, then shake it on anything you can - it was amazing!

The bad: We found the ribs to be pretty bad. Too fatty and much tougher than expected. Ribs came with both our meals (both wet and dry), and neither of us could finish them. The baked beans were also much different than we were used to. Too peppery, no real sweetness. Finally, the cornbread was old. Very spongy, more like a cake texture than the melt-in-your-mouth cornbread you usually think of.

The service was friendly though, and the place was filled with customers for a Tuesday evening. Personally, we won't return, but if you go, let us know how it went!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:00 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I live very close to Billy's but have never been there for some reason. I hear from many that its the best BBQ in Lexington so I'll give it a try and report back.

For what its worth, I do like the wings at Buffalo Wild Wings, even though its a chain. I know not BBQ, but thought I'd mention it.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 35,436 times
Wow, I love a good bbq discussion. Ok, so what kind do we like? I've never heard of the 'western KY' style. Anyway- we lived in Dallas and so we like Texas style, and just moved from VA Beach where we had North Carolina style. So I'd say we like both- more towards sweet/wet ribs than thick dry rub/vinegary. But honestly? Just eating BBQ that is well done (no matter the style) is something we love....

My experience at Corkys- now to be fair, we brought it home so perhaps that affected things. But, we had a 1/2 rack ribs, 1/4 chicken & beef brisket. The brisket was good- it was in chunks instead of traditional slices, but very good. The ribs had terrible texture- the outside was very dry w/ a very chewy crust and the inside was inconsistent & fatty. I've never in my life had ribs like that- LOL. The chicken, we skipped the skin as it was coated w/ dry rub, but the smokey flavor was nice. Hated the cole slaw- very mayonaise flavor. But the fried pickles were good as were the cheddar cheese mashed potatos (for my 4 yr old).

Thanks!
LAura

Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
My recommendation for Billy's is the pulled pork. Their ribs are not the best I've ever had but the pulled pork is wonderful. Their sides are nothing to write home about either so we usually just get pulled pork sandwiches with a side of fried dill pickles (I know, I know, sounds weird but they are great)!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:25 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
My recommendation for Billy's is the pulled pork. Their ribs are not the best I've ever had but the pulled pork is wonderful. Their sides are nothing to write home about either so we usually just get pulled pork sandwiches with a side of fried dill pickles (I know, I know, sounds weird but they are great)!
That's what I would have written had I not been so jet-lagged last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area