U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,271 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Lexington with our three small children. We were just there this past week, looking at the city and housing options, etc. I love the city, the natural beauty, the cleanliness, the friendliness of the people....everything was very impressive. However, i'm very concerned because we are not a conservative family. We place ourselves on the left side of the Christian spectrum, and we have some conservative values, but they're not necessarily tied to our religious beliefs. I viewed the Ashland Park area, and it's just perfect for us. However, we don't want to spend quite as much money as it would require for us to buy a house there. Is there any other place that isn't quite so conservative, has an active neighborhood/community feeling, and is within easy walking distance to small businesses? What about Chevy Chase? I've heard it's very "catholic" - which I suppose meant more conservative than Ashland Park. I would appreciate any suggestions.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM

891 posts, read 2,804,772 times
Chevy Chase may be considered Catholic because Christ the King Church/School is there. Not only do you have to belong to the parish to go to the school but you must live in the district as well.
I think Chevy Chase may be a little more conservative than Ashland Park but not strikingly so. It is within walking distance of many of the same things as AP. The price per square foot is similar in these two areas but there are many smaller homes available in Chevy Chase compared to AP.
Kenwick (across Richmond Rd from AP) has some nice homes in the 1st blocks but is not in as good a school district. However, Ashland Elementary is an up an coming elementary school and has a very dynamic principal. DM me if you have any specific questions about the school as my son attends a magnet program there so I have first hand experience. Other than elementary school you are in the same middle and high school district as AP and CC.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,225,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carochokh View Post
What about Chevy Chase? I've heard it's very "catholic" - which I suppose meant more conservative than Ashland Park. I would appreciate any suggestions.
thanks!
When used with a small C catholic means universal.

Roman Catholics tend towards economic liberalism and social conservatism; anti-abortion bolsheviks.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:13 AM

246 posts, read 976,098 times
Default highliner

Thank God, that we never see any orange-hatted, Unionist, anti-Republican, toadies posting here, as they are such a bore, don't you agree?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,225,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
Thank God, that we never see any orange-hatted, Unionist, anti-Republican, toadies posting here, as they are such a bore, don't you agree?

There's probably about two other people know what you're talking about.

My family is from Down and Armagh with a little bit of Mayo.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Default thanks for reply

Thank you, lexingtongal, for the thoughtful reply. I've moved all over the country, lived in a wide range of communities, but for some reason i'm particularly iffy about this move; although I do think in the end, no matter what neighborhood we end up in, we will find our niche and be very happy there. Heck - it can't be worse than where we are now! We live in a community of 200, 1/2 of whom are all part of the same family that belongs to one religious denomination that excludes the use of computers, televisions, cell phones, etc., and makes a point of NOT interacting with anyone outside of their religious group. and the other half didn't figure out until this summer that they had "new" neighbors! So I think it's only UP...UP...UP from here. i would like to know more about the Ashland elementary.
thanks so much for your warm reply!
Carachokh

Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,173,682 times
Quote:
We live in a community of 200, 1/2 of whom are all part of the same family that belongs to one religious denomination that excludes the use of computers, televisions, cell phones, etc., and makes a point of NOT interacting with anyone outside of their religious group.
That would be a cult.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:00 PM

6,794 posts, read 14,251,406 times
Quote:
Thank you, lexingtongal, for the thoughtful reply. I've moved all over the country, lived in a wide range of communities, but for some reason i'm particularly iffy about this move; although I do think in the end, no matter what neighborhood we end up in, we will find our niche and be very happy there. Heck - it can't be worse than where we are now! We live in a community of 200, 1/2 of whom are all part of the same family that belongs to one religious denomination that excludes the use of computers, televisions, cell phones, etc., and makes a point of NOT interacting with anyone outside of their religious group. and the other half didn't figure out until this summer that they had "new" neighbors! So I think it's only UP...UP...UP from here. i would like to know more about the Ashland elementary.
thanks so much for your warm reply!
Carachokh
Are you moving to Lexington for a job? based on what you say, your favorite area in KY will most likely be the Highlands of Louisville.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 PM

Default reply to stx124...

yes, we are moving there for a job.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,546,879 times
Anywhere around that area of town will be fine for you. Ashland, Chevy Chase, the area around Woodland Park, etc. You really will do fine and fit in fine, as near as I can tell from what you have written so far. If you want to spend a little less money, go a little bit towards UK's campus. Or try one of the neighborhoods off North Broadway (2nd, 3rd streets). Someone had a similar question recently - maybe if you use the search tool looking for Kenwick, the suggestions given to that poster will help you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or