Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 AM

47 posts, read 200,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
AZtowhere, You are totally correct. I'm planning on moving to Lexington/Winchester in June 09. I've lived in AZ a good part of my life so I'm ready for a mid climate. But the AZ board is just abuzz with folks moving in so I think it all balances out
I don't get and yet I do. If you hate the cold, you'll love Phoenix. On the other hand, I'm so sick of being trapped in my house from 10 in the morning to 10 at night between late May and early October, I could scream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbmom View Post
Usually whenever we have any accumulation of snow (unless it is major), the main roads are clear by noon.

Humidity is a problem during the summer. It can make it really hard to breathe. I usually stay inside during July and August as much as possible. Allergies are a problem, as well. We are the #1 city in the United States for allergies.

In order to buy enough affordable property for a horse, you probably should look at the areas surrounding Lexington rather than trying to get something inside the city limits. A lot with that much land would probably be pricey.
I don't recall being this miserable when I lived in Northern Virginia (D.C. area) 20+ years ago. I know I didn't like the humidity, but most of the time it wasn't too horrible and it didn't last for months, except for the last summer I was there. That year (1988), it was 90 degrees and 90% humidity every day for over 90 days, with a week over 100 degrees thrown in!

You definitely have to go out of the city to get horse property. The big stuff is pricey, but what you all consider little bitty farms of 5 acres are considered large plots of land in Phoenix and there is no price comparison in affordability. You all can get 5 acres for under $50K and you can't touch 5 acres in Phoenix for less than $300K (no house included). Your ground is green and lush and healthy for horses and ours is barren, hard ground covered in scrub brush, cacti and other stuff you don't want your horse eating. Your horses can eat the grass under their feet and we have to worry about "sand colic". I just keep hoping that someday my horses will know the feel of grass under their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
If you're from Biloxi, Clearwater, or Houston, our winters will seem quite chilly for practically three whole months.

If you're from Chicago, New York, or Sioux Falls, most of our winters will seem rather mild and relatively "snowless" for three whole months.

If you're from Barrow, Nome, or Yellowknife, you'll jump into the Kentucky River wearing a bathing suit once the temp hits 40 and it's sunny. (Okay, okay...)

It's subjective.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 PM

285 posts, read 901,971 times
AZtowhere,
I don't mind cold (I can dress warmer) in the heat you hate going outside. Nothing like raking leaves at sundown and sweating you a$$ off. I want to see seasons and green. Plus I really don't have to shovel snow there I'll just stay in till it melts.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 PM

7 posts, read 10,959 times
Default Not a bed of roses, but still great!

I agree that Ice seems to be a bigger problem these days than snow. It's not uncommon to get gorgeous 65 or 70 degree temps ion January....only to have snow in April. But, I blame that more on the global warming. On the bright side, if global warming DOES continue, we're bound to have palm trees here in a couple decades. I like palm trees...they'd look great alongside my wrapped around porch.

Summers are not as bad as you think. There are usually about two or three weeks somewhere between June, July, or August of hot humid weather and that's about it. The rest is in the upper 80s without the sever mugginess.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,160 times
Echoing in on the terrible ice storms. Last year I was without electricity for 7 days.
Nobody EVER came to inspect it even though we had continually reported it.
The unfortunate thing is that my work never closed on any of the days so I did have to call in three times.
I do rely on public transit and I was not safe to walk to the bus stop in my area. Nothing had been scraped or salted and I had fallen several times (even walking safely as possible in boots!) It sucked!
Winter is long here, in my opinion. The weather declines in late September (nippier out) and seems to last all the way until May.
I'm actually in the process of dreading it now haha

Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 AM

6 posts, read 31,082 times
Our winters are normally good. Last year was unusually long and cold. We get through Nov with temps in the 50s-60s; lows in the 30s-40s; December highs in the 30s-40s, lows in the 20s-30s. Jan-Feb, teens and single digits at night. March is blustery, but you'll be inside watching the NCAA anyway! when spring hits, you'll be in love with Lexington and our falls are spectacular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area