Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 PM

13 posts, read 61,739 times

Advertisements

How often is the racial data on the main Lexington page updated? Is it accurate as of 2008? Do you guys think it is accurate? Do the students really change the racial makeup during the school year?

Sorry, lots of questions but, Im just curious as I originally come from a very ethnically mixed city and truthfully, I am just a little nervous that I will feel out of place.

Also one day when that whole..."kid thing" happens (haha, not sure how soon) I would like to expose them to diverse environment while also exposing them to such a beautiful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinguy View Post
Also one day when that whole..."kid thing" happens (haha, not sure how soon) I would like to expose them to diverse environment while also exposing them to such a beautiful town.
This is the same thing we've been asking ourselves after having our little one recently. Thinking of moving back to Lex, but also thinking after traveling around for a while & living in other cities that its just not diverse enough people wise & in other ways.

I'd also like to expose the kid to more than just football & basketball. But you cant tell most people in Lex that because they think you're a weirdo.

Last edited by KerryB; 07-22-2008 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 AM

Im glad that you feel the same way. I was unsure how Lex natives were going to take my comments. I just think that when you are part of the majority that you tend to not notice the lack of diversity.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,454 times
Based on my personal experience (and not any statistical data), there is a band around the downtown and campus area that is the most diverse of the city. Still not comparable to larger cities with more ethnic influences, but still a reasonable amount for my expectations of Lexington. For example, I taught at Glendover Elementary and because it is a "global magnet" program that attracts many diverse families, we had a fairly diverse classroom. In a single first grade room, we had over 10 languages and more than 8 different countries from across the globe represented. Maxwell Elementary is a highly regarded Spanish immersion school.

However, IMO, once you hit the more standard suburban areas it quickly becomes less diverse. The biggest racial/ethnic diversity is pretty much white or African-American with some Latino neighborhood clusters. The schools reflect the make-up of their local surrrounding neighborhood. And yes - sports are big cultural draw!

So, to try to sum it up, I have experienced an enjoyable amount of diversity within the downtown and campus areas, but not similar to that of when I lived in Cleveland or Chicago, for example. Outside of that immediate area, it becomes less diverse and probably would not meet the expectations that you've mentioned.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM

216 posts, read 1,185,478 times
Quote:
How often is the racial data on the main Lexington page updated? Is it accurate as of 2008? Do you guys think it is accurate? Do the students really change the racial makeup during the school year?

Sorry, lots of questions but, Im just curious as I originally come from a very ethnically mixed city and truthfully, I am just a little nervous that I will feel out of place.

I recently moved here and had the same concern as yours(I've lived in very culturally diverse Hawaii for the past 17 years) I am very happy to report that the diversity has exceeded my expectation. I live close to campus/downtown, so perhaps I do have a slanted view of the world. However, diversity (not just race, but in all others ways diversity expresses itself ) is prevelant.

Also, I haven't haven't had one person ask me what church I attend, what political party I belong to, etc. etc. Everyone is just generally helpful, friendly and minding their own business.

The only thing I have found to be a bit of a shock is how people drive! Be prepared to drive and walk defensely.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM

These are all great responses.

So basically, the campus area is going to be the biggest melting pot. But...is Lexington that socially/racially/economically divided? I do find it interesting that for a city so small in diameter people have often divided it by quadrants.

This is all great insight. Anyone else with personal experiences positive or negative?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I live on the outskirts of town, out by Hayes Blvd, and know several interracial couples out here. Also Black families, Chinese, Mexicans---even Irish and Croatian Catholics from Chicago. There are people in the neighborhood who are into bougeouis propriety and others who park bass boats in the driveway and leave their garbage cans out too long. The whole country is getting more "diverse".

Last edited by Irishtom29; 07-23-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 54,356 times
i have a biracial family (i'm white & wife is black-our kids obviously mixed) and there does not seem to be much stigma around here these days either. When i came here from Rhode Island back in 95 it seemed that way a little but over time it seems it may have been just my interpretation of it-as where i am from there weren't racial issues, etc.
As pointed out, the UK area is very diverse. I work for UK and alot of our Housing Residents are from different countries so we around here are use to the diversity.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,085 times
We have lived here 6 months and my husband is Latino, I am white and we have 3 kids. We moved from very diverse Massachusetts, but have felt nothing but welcomed here. It is not nearly as diverse as I am used to, but it is more diverse than I expected. I live in suburban middle class SW Lexington and see diverse politics (lots of Obama signs), various races, biracial families, Muslim women with headscarves and even one with a full burka at my local WalMart, and other internationals from Asia (Japan & China primarily). I have found Lexington to be tolerant and welcoming of my family as well. Yes, it's primarily homogeneous, but it doesn't seem close-minded.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,456 times
Quote:
Im glad that you feel the same way. I was unsure how Lex natives were going to take my comments. I just think that when you are part of the majority that you tend to not notice the lack of diversity.

Anyone else have thoughts?
There is no such thing as" lack of diversity". If the implication (by other posters) is that places like lexington are more closed minded, that's not true. the whole world is like that. People in the Barrios are not anxious about the lack of white people, or african-americans around. In fact, you might get shot just for being in their neighborhood if you don't belong there. Spend some time in Los Angeles, or Chicago, or someplace like that, if you crave lots of diversity. then you might learn to appreciate Lexington for what it is. But don't judge the white folks for how they live, they are the most generous and tolerant people in the world.

**comments are not directed at travelinguy, just the subject in general.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area