U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,093 posts, read 22,969,020 times
Reputation: 11049

Advertisements

I talked to someone today who is in the car business who said that both Paul Miller Ford and Freedom Jeep are laying off dozens of workers to regain profitability, and that if the car market doesn't improve they could go under like Jeff Sachs in Frankfort did last week
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Kentucky
820 posts, read 2,723,707 times
Reputation: 564
All car dealers are suffering right now - just like the automakers themselves. Our economy is in the ditch and I suspect will take a while to be pulled out. I doubt seriously that Paul Miller Ford can't weather the storm though. However, I would have certainly thought that about Jeff Sachs where I've bought two cars in my lifetime. Although the last time I went there it was a very negative experience and I went elsewhere. Still sad to see businesses close and especially people loose their jobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 PM
 
1,254 posts, read 3,267,280 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Still sad to see businesses close and especially people loose their jobs.
Its sad when people lose their jobs but not when businesses close that deserve it.

Im sorry, but if American auto makers like Ford/Paul Miller Ford go belly up its their own fault for having crappy choices, not understanding the market better & not pushing the alternatives more/innovating. They've become stagnant by relying on the same old SUV song & dance for years & now they're paying for it big time. They're only pushing the alternatives now & trying to appear more "green" because they're basically being forced to.

I'd have no problem buying an American made car if they actually offered something I liked that didn't drink the gas like it grew on trees & didn't plummet in value as soon as I drove it off the lot. They had no solid selection for years & still don't. Between the SUVs, trucks & tons of supped up sports car re-releases that are just unpractical in today's market, they painted themselves into a corner when gas prices hit the fan. The funny thing is, they had to see it coming. Its not like prices started going up just yesterday. Its been oncoming for years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Kent, Washington
10,254 posts, read 20,076,157 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
They had no solid selection for years & still don't. Between the SUVs, trucks & tons of supped up sports car re-releases that are just unpractical in today's market, they painted themselves into a corner when gas prices hit the fan. The funny thing is, they had to see it coming. Its not like prices started going up just yesterday. Its been oncoming for years.

Ford makes smaller cars that get good mileage; the Focus and Fusion. As well as a very nice midsize sedan, the new Taurus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 04:09 PM
 
1,254 posts, read 3,267,280 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ford makes smaller cars that get good mileage; the Focus and Fusion. As well as a very nice midsize sedan, the new Taurus.
I admit the Focus gets decent MPG & is a good car, but the other 2 barely crack 20 MPG in the city (or not at all with the Taurus), which is definitely mediocre compared to what the others are doing & also considering we're in 2008 & these are new model cars. And this is the BEST Ford has to offer. Not good at all.

And the Escape Hybrid doesn't count because apparently they only made like 2 of them & one would have better luck finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than driving off the lot in one. Not to mention they borrowed the hybrid technology directly from Toyota.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Kent, Washington
10,254 posts, read 20,076,157 times
Reputation: 10280
I'm averaging 21 mpg with an Edge which is heavier than a Fusion and has a more powerful engine, mostly town driving and I like to jump on it. On the highway the computer shows me getting about 24 mpg running at 75.

I don't care where Ford got the technology in the Escape hybrid. As long as it works, that's what matters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 05:39 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,093 posts, read 22,969,020 times
Reputation: 11049
A Toyota Camry Hybrid gets 40 mpg and has 187 hp
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Kentucky
820 posts, read 2,723,707 times
Reputation: 564
Car dealers going out of business is a much more complex issue than the price of gas. It is a tiny piece of the pie that is reflective of our economy in general which will take many minds, efforts, and ideas to improve.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
 
1,254 posts, read 3,267,280 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Car dealers going out of business is a much more complex issue than the price of gas. It is a tiny piece of the pie that is reflective of our economy in general which will take many minds, efforts, and ideas to improve.
I wouldnt call it a "tiny" piece. GM & Ford aren't selling any vehicles for a reason. Because they got nothing to offer people in a $4 a gallon economy. The other guys are doing just fine for the most part, setting sales records, etc. If it were mostly economy, they would all be in the shi**er teetering on the brink of extinction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Kent, Washington
10,254 posts, read 20,076,157 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I wouldnt call it a "tiny" piece. GM & Ford aren't selling any vehicles for a reason. Because they got nothing to offer people in a $4 a gallon economy. .

You just admitted a few posts ago the Focus got good economy and now you say they have "nothing" to offer.

GM has some economical vehicles too including the Chevy Aveo and Cobalt and a small Saturn.

So I hardly think you're right in saying GM and Ford have nothing to offfer that's economical.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top