U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 PM

969 posts, read 2,520,955 times

Advertisements

I was just on a thread about car lots and thought it would be interesting to hear what realtors do that bug you.

Based on my experience before I was a realtor, here is my list:

1) Make you sign in at an open house, then call you for the rest of your life.

2) You tell them you want a ranch on a big lot and they tell you they have a great 2 story patio home.

3) They give you a card that has a picture of them when they must have been in high school. You want to say, Oh is this your daughter?

4) They speak in realtorese: "Not a drive by", "must see", "potential", "fixer-upper", everything is "charming", everyone is "motivated". Have you EVER driven by a house and turned to the person with you and said, "Hey, did you see that house, it sure wasn't a drive by was it?" Then the other person says. "No, it really looked like a must see, and the seller out mowing the yard really did look motivated too."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM

8,755 posts, read 9,142,160 times
Thanks for starting this. It will be interesting to read what we do that bugs people the most. I hope I avoid most of them, but probably not. The main thing I noticed about realtors before becoming one was, at open houses many of them would basically just ignore you to the point of being downright rude. We looked at one house and the realtor was sitting down watching tv and never got up or said one word to us. I coudn't believe it.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 PM

822 posts, read 2,748,668 times
I've had realtors blow me off because they assumed I wasn't serious about buying (I was serious; I did buy!). In a different area with much higher prices, a realtor blew me off 10 years ago because our price range was only in the 400s.
I know someone trying to sell a house right now and the realtor's only advice is to lower the price (again and again and again). It just seems like realtors should have a few more tricks up their sleeves.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,582,365 times
OK, all my annoyances boil down to a single attribute: taking themselves too seriously.

I could elaborate on this but it wouldn't be pretty, would be heavily dependent upon anecdotal evidence, and therefore unkind.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM

430 posts, read 1,403,699 times
Not listening to me or taking me seriously. Not showing me the types of properties I am interested in. Steering me toward THEIR own listings instead of showing me all MLS properties that might meet my criteria.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It just seems like realtors should have a few more tricks up their sleeves.
Yeah, I don't the whole story here, but in a declining market, sometimes you got to reduce to stay comeptitive. Sometimes a price reduction means the agent really didn't know the market value. It is especially hard with older houses since every one is unique. You just can't multiply average sale price per square foot by the size of the house. If I go to the National convention this year, I will let you know if the NAR introduces any new tricks.

[quote][The main thing I noticed about realtors before becoming one was, at open houses many of them would basically just ignore you to the point of being downright rude./QUOTE]

I had that happen to me some before I got my license. That always strikes me as strange. I mean, don't follow me around talking the whole time, but don't ignore me either!!!!!!!!

[quote][OK, all my annoyances boil down to a single attribute: taking themselves too seriously./QUOTE]

Wow!! That is a big one too. Although you see people like that in all fields, realtors have more than their fair share. We have a lady in my office (Hope its not you Dixiegirl7!!) who gets all upset by me wearing shorts to the office. She has even said stuff to me about it and gives me a prune face when I am there.

HERE IS ONE MORE THING I FIND ANNOYING:

Having like 6 phone numbers on their cards. Come on, get in the wireless world. All people need is your cell # and an e-mail address. Okay, maybe a fax # too.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM

270 posts, read 863,791 times
I had a generally great buying experience and loved my realtor (RE/Max Creative), but I guess the one thing that did annoy me a little bit was when I was still shopping for a house, she would email me listings WAAAY out of my price range. But, that was a minor annoyance in comparison for the otherwise great service she provided.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM

Yes, if you tell them you want to spend x, and they keep sending you properties costing 2x, and tell you, "if you can just squeeze a little more" .... that is a little disconcerting, shall we say.

Hm.... getting annoyed when you don't leap on the first thing they show you ... sorry, maybe it wasn't The One ...

For the seller to pay the buyer's realtor seems a little out of place, imho....

Real estate isn't brain surgery and I'm not quite sure it's worth $15,000 (or whatever)per transaction, but I know that's just the game, etc., and I play along like a good sport. The listing agent has some major advertising expenses, and those I understand.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
For the seller to pay the buyer's realtor seems a little out of place, imho....
This happens because we have what is called Co-Op sales. What it means is that the listing agent lists a house for X% She/He then puts it on the MLS offering to split it with another agent who brings a buyer. In the way old days, the broker listed the house and waited until SHE/HE sold it. Think of the MLS as a Facebook or Myspace for real estate transactions; exposure and networking!

Quote:
Real estate isn't brain surgery and I'm not quite sure it's worth $15,000 (or whatever)per transaction, but I know that's just the game, etc., and I play along like a good sport. The listing agent has some major advertising expenses, and those I understand.
Yep, It isn't brain surgury or rocket science either!! I think the commisions should drop when you get over about $250,000. It shouldn't cost you $60k to sell a half million dollar house!! Like any job, you SHOULD know some things that the general public doesn't. Most don't. To me, the skills I value seeing an agent have are really knowing the market, the competition, being able to negotiate, protecting the client legally, looking down the road in the deal and preventing any pitfalls. Listing agents should know how to market a house online. I see a lot of data entry errors. In fact, I usually call agents to let them know when this happens. One of the best known agents in town entered Andover Hills for a house that was Andover Forest. Any buyer or agent who specifically entered either neighborhood on the search critera would not have been interested in that house. Meanwhile, the seller's house could just sit there and not sell.........

Since you play along like a good sport, can I list your house for a full 6%??????? Just joking. While I like making money, I will remind everyone that commissions are negotiable, but remember that it has to be split between the agent and broker on both the buyer's side and seller's side. I try to be a good sport too!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Like any job, you SHOULD know some things that the general public doesn't.
You know, this is probably why I never needed a realtor in Lexington... as a 7th-generation Lexingtonian, the information is in my genes. I automatically KNOW Lexington; I feel it instinctively, street to street and block to block. Many of the older houses were ones that my family lived in, and I've grown up and lived my life in the area.

So of course, why would I need a realtor between me and my purchase (or sale) in such an instance? The answer: I never did.

Now that I've moved to the West Coast, I'm very, very reliant on my realtor. It's a whole new world. This is really an interesting thought train - I'm glad you started it - even if it doesn't help anyone else, it is helping me to clarify my real estate search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area