Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

30 posts, read 76,731 times

Advertisements

Well, we've been in Lexington (Beaumont area) for a month now and are a little less than "OK" with it so far. I have a question for hte folks who've lived here longer.

We're from Virginia and lived in Nashville for 7 years. Considering Lexington's proximity to those places, we assumed the general culture would be similar to other mid-south/mid-Atlantic areas.

So far, we've found the people on average to honestly be, well, a lot more obnoxious and hyper than in Tennessee and Virginia. We didn't just walk barefoot outta the hollar, having lived in Nashville for 7 years, but I swear I feel like I moved to New England or somewhere else in the NE.

A few examples (Excuse a little hyperbole.) : The school staff are quick to talk over us and cut us off when we call them, the drivers are a lot more aggressive (which is kinda funny considering Lex doesn't have "traffic" as defined by Nashvillians), and the pediatricians we've talked to are FAR less helpful than we're used to. The people in Kroger and other stores are a lot more pushy and less friendly also--no smiles or greetings, just a bunch of people with "don't talk to me" written all over their faces. Heck, I spend significant time in Chicago on business and the people there seem A LOT more friendly on the average than in the Beaumont area.

Is this because we're in the Beaumont area? Am I just imagining things? Seems doubtful that I am after a month. I work as a professor at UK and every single person there has been wonderful.

Would we be better off looking toward Wilmore, Versailles, or elsewhere for a place more to our liking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 PM

969 posts, read 2,812,637 times
Its probably because everybodies adjustable rate mortgage is ready to reset and they know they can't re-fi............Just kidding! I don't know what it is! I say give it some more time before you move. Moving is so expensive.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,042,537 times
Yes, those suburban communities can be like that. I'm sorry to say so, but sadly it's true. Very self-important folks, and quite judgmental as well. I am not sure how to tell you where you would be happier, but wanted to tell you that you are maybe not imagining this phenomenon.

What are you looking for in a neighborhood? How old should the homes be, how far from UK, what are you teaching? Could make a difference. How much do you want to spend on housing? Are you renting or owning in your current Beaumont location?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,772,456 times
DBDavis,

You're not imagining things.

I live in exurban Lexington and frequent the city often...but only b/c I have to. Unfortunately, many of the people I've met from Lex. have been rather grouchy and distraught, for whatever odd reason.

I have found it much easier to extend common courtesies that yield appreciation from people in Midtown Manhattan. I have found many service industry employees to act more down-to-earth and say "thank you" in Chicago. Speaking of service industry, I often encounter many people from metro Detroit, as well as other Michigan cities like Lansing and Grand Rapids, and find the vast majority of Michiganders I've met to be kind and polite. So, what does that say about "Southern hospitality" here in pockets of central Kentucky?

Frankly, you should have moved to Louisville or the Covington/Newport region. They is, like Lexington, a bit provincial and hard to get into social groovings, but still friendlier than Lexington.

You need a nice, clean town with enough stuff to do to not keep you bored yet still be close to your work. Let's see:
(a) Wilmore is a true central Kentucky gem, but it is a very anti-growth town and you have to drive to Lexington or Nicholasville to purchase even basics (there may be an IGA there or something, but big whoop.) Beautiful town, though. Not to mention, Harrodsburg Road (US 68) is a very dangerous road to commute on, but the new 4-laning project will be done in less than five years.
(b) Versailles is much like Wilmore. It's too mired with its history and not very forward-thinking as a town, IMHO. But Morgan Ave. and S. Main St. are very beautiful streets.
(c) Danville would typically be my very first pick, but it's a good hour SW of UK. Still, a good blend of ritzy, cosmopolitan, educated, working-class, and country all rolled into a town of 16,500; it's also home to Centre College, recently ranked by Forbes as in the leagues with the Ivys! It also has the Norton Center for the Arts and Pioneer Playhouse. I think you'd like Danville.

So...
(d) My pick for you is Frankfort. Only 35 minutes to UK, home of about 20 blocks of some of Kentucky's oldest and richest history. Home to the Ky. History Center, Military History Museum, Old Capitol, extensive and well-maintained parks (including hiking trails at beautiful Cove Spring,) a cool and unique variety of restaurants such as Serafini's, Gibby's, Thai Smile, and the Dragon. Not to mention, lectures at KSU and festivals going on quite often. I always liked the east side better than the west side, but then again you know what they say about opinions... Frankfort's in many ways like Danville with a river running right through the middle of it. (There are higher concentrations of those self-righteous, me-me-me types along and near Cardwell Lane and Georgetown Road, just as a heads up.)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-22-2008 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,036,381 times
[quote=DBDavis;4961670]A few examples (Excuse a little hyperbole.) : The school staff are quick to talk over us and cut us off when we call them, the drivers are a lot more aggressive (which is kinda funny considering Lex doesn't have "traffic" as defined by Nashvillians), and the pediatricians we've talked to are FAR less helpful than we're used to. The people in Kroger and other stores are a lot more pushy and less friendly also--no smiles or greetings, just a bunch of people with "don't talk to me" written all over their faces. Heck, I spend significant time in Chicago on business and the people there seem A LOT more friendly on the average than in the Beaumont area.[quote]

That has got to be so frustrating especially when you are so new! Good luck to you and I hope that you find somewhere much more friendly.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:54 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,772,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Frankly, you should have moved to Louisville or the Covington/Newport region. They is, like Lexington, a bit provincial and hard to get into social groovings, but still friendlier than Lexington.
I just noticed I said is instead of are. My apologies.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:37 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,551,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDavis View Post
Well, we've been in Lexington (Beaumont area) for a month now and are a little less than "OK" with it so far. I have a question for hte folks who've lived here longer.

We're from Virginia and lived in Nashville for 7 years. Considering Lexington's proximity to those places, we assumed the general culture would be similar to other mid-south/mid-Atlantic areas.

So far, we've found the people on average to honestly be, well, a lot more obnoxious and hyper than in Tennessee and Virginia. We didn't just walk barefoot outta the hollar, having lived in Nashville for 7 years, but I swear I feel like I moved to New England or somewhere else in the NE.

A few examples (Excuse a little hyperbole.) : The school staff are quick to talk over us and cut us off when we call them, the drivers are a lot more aggressive (which is kinda funny considering Lex doesn't have "traffic" as defined by Nashvillians), and the pediatricians we've talked to are FAR less helpful than we're used to. The people in Kroger and other stores are a lot more pushy and less friendly also--no smiles or greetings, just a bunch of people with "don't talk to me" written all over their faces. Heck, I spend significant time in Chicago on business and the people there seem A LOT more friendly on the average than in the Beaumont area.

Is this because we're in the Beaumont area? Am I just imagining things? Seems doubtful that I am after a month. I work as a professor at UK and every single person there has been wonderful.

Would we be better off looking toward Wilmore, Versailles, or elsewhere for a place more to our liking?
Oh wow, I have an opposite view of Lexington people. Since I'm there a lot and have spent so much time there since I was a kid. Most seem very friendly to me. Sorry about your experience so far. When you say Beaumont, are you talking about the Beaumont Centre area outside of New Circle Rd or the Beaumont area off Alexandria Drive?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:04 PM

30 posts, read 76,731 times
timelesschild:
"What are you looking for in a neighborhood?"
The usual: good schools (our son is autistic, so that's a consideration), reasonably convenient (say 5 miles) access to Kroger, Walmart, etc., low crime, areas that we can walk around outside.

"How old should the homes be" Not a major consideration, but not extremely old.

"how far from UK" 30-35 min. max

"what are you teaching?" engineering

"How much do you want to spend on housing?" $250k

"Are you renting or owning in your current Beaumont location?" Renting, 6 month lease.

jcm1986: Thanks for the information. Frankfort is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of.

InLondon: "When you say Beaumont, are you talking about the Beaumont Centre area outside of New Circle Rd or the Beaumont area off Alexandria Drive?"

We live just outside New Circle Road on Beaumont Centre Lane.

I don't know what to say about your observations vs mine. Maybe I'll change my mind as I live here longer or maybe it all just seems "normal" to you--who knows. I know there IS a definite, crystal clear difference between Lexington and Nashville.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,042,537 times
OK, good. You're in a good situation.

You could check out the housing options between Nicholasville Road and Tates Creek Road, south of the Arboretum, north of Malabu/Lansdowne.

Good schools, good people, good access to your work. Nice houses too, and not too old. Very good access to Kroger, restaurants, and other shopping.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,694,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDavis View Post

Yeah, take a hike, scram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area