U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 21,977 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are debating between staying in our rural home on a private 2 acre lot in a neighboring county or making the move to the big city! There are so many pros to living in Lexington but somehow I just can't get over paying way more money for a lot less land and a smaller house.... (Oh, did I mention my husband is convinced he wants us to move to Ashland Park!!! It's gorgeous and perfect but there seem to be a shortage of 4 bedroom homes that are reasonably priced )

Anyway, just looking for words of encouragement of the great things downtown living will offer to my children and ourselves to offset the peace and quiet we will be giving up :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 PM

486 posts, read 1,784,594 times
I live near Ashland Park actually and have never once had a problem living there. It's actually more quiet than you think. Here are some things I like about living in a more central location:

1. You can be ANYWHERE in Lexington in about 15 minutes.

2. There are a plethora of great LOCAL restaurants in and around the Ashland Park area (Suggins, Roots, Oasis, Pucinis- not a chain but excellent, etc.).

3. Ashland Park is in the Cassidy-Morton-Henry Clay school district which is arguably one of the best school districts in the city.

4. Personally, I believe the older homes in the Ashland Park area are sturdier and safer than some of the newer construction in the outer areas of town.

I'm sure people will come up with more things, but I wouldn't live anywhere else in Lexington! I have no complaints living there! Personally, I believe it will be worth the extra money.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,712,885 times
What do you all like to do? I mean, what is your lifestyle? Living in Ashland Park would be perfect for my family, because we are arts-oriented, constantly downtown, and love Woodland Park. It might not be as perfect for yours, if for example your kids are always attending sporting events in neighboring counties or states (that is some people's reality). Or if you value seeing the horses on your drive home.

I don't know, it's a great place to live and would be on my top list, but you have to do what's right for your family. If the peace and quiet are your only concerns, you'll be OK. Ashland Park is quiet. It's worth the money.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 PM

Teebird, you have a good head on your shoulders. Just wanted to say it out loud...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Living in Ashland Park would be perfect for my family, because we are arts-oriented, constantly downtown, and love Woodland Park.
Tell me more about the 'arts-oriented, constantly downtown, Woodland Park' part. What exactly is there on a regular basis? It sounds lovely but since we've never lived there I don't even know what's available. We try to go to the Woodland Arts Fest, May Fest, Diversity Fest, etc whenever we can but other than that, I don't know what cultural things Lex has to offer... We also generally attend one performance a season at the Opera House but if we lived there in town I'd go more often.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,323 times
....also, Lexington has the oldest Children's Theatre in the Country. Not only are the plays for the kids, but there are plays where the kids can perform in them. Lexington's fine arts scene is much more pronounced then our arts & crafts. Your best bet is to visit websites such as the Lexington Art League and Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau, among others. There really is more to do then I can list here. VisitLex has a monthly calendar of events and you can also view LexGo.com and downtownlexington.com.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Well, there is the Gallery Hop 6 times a year. That is a blast. I'm so serious.

All the ballet and theatre is downtown, the Philharmonic performances at Singletary, Lexington Singers, there is a folk music thingie at the Kentucky Theatre (I forget the name), I could go on and on.

Woodland Park is great - not only are there all the wonderful outdoor arts and cultural events in the summer, but the pool is fun, and its swim team is a great healthy outlet in the summer. It's Lexington's only true urban park, and I love the old trees and the peaceful (yet happening) vibe there.

Magee's Bakery on a Saturday morning for donuts and the paper - this thought alone could seal the deal....

And there's the Opera House. The Children's Museum is a great deal if you get the membership.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 AM

486 posts, read 1,784,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Teebird, you have a good head on your shoulders. Just wanted to say it out loud...
Thanks! I try to be as unbiased as I can, though since I grew up right in this area of town I tend to be a bit partial to it.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 PM

2,927 posts, read 8,001,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayOrGo View Post
Hi all!

We are debating between staying in our rural home on a private 2 acre lot in a neighboring county or making the move to the big city! There are so many pros to living in Lexington but somehow I just can't get over paying way more money for a lot less land and a smaller house.... (Oh, did I mention my husband is convinced he wants us to move to Ashland Park!!! It's gorgeous and perfect but there seem to be a shortage of 4 bedroom homes that are reasonably priced )

Anyway, just looking for words of encouragement of the great things downtown living will offer to my children and ourselves to offset the peace and quiet we will be giving up :-)
Well in Ashland Park you'll be close to everything. I find that area nice and quiet. Not like living in the country but it's quiet enough I think.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Thanks for all of the replies :-)

Ok, so I think we're officially going to move :-) Now, who can offer insight on the differences between Ashland Park, Shadeland, and say Lans-Merrick or Hollywood or somewhere close but not exactly downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area