U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 24,269 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am in a whirl wind about our neighbor and need some guidance. We live in Lexington city area and we have 2 jack russells, 1 Dashound and 1 British King, We moved up here 2 yrs ago to take care of my mother who has since passed. We have owned this same house going on 50 yrs and have had dogs the entire time. We are surrounded by dogs on the entire block both front ,back, down the entire street. This neighbor has NO dogs and is the ONLY one with out one, he has not only called the Humane Society ( 4 times ) on us but the Police, the Code Enforcement ( 3 times )and as well has taken me to medations over the dogs, He says they bark and he wants them muzzled when ever they are outside. During medations I agreed to not allow them out before 7 as to not awaken him, and not after 9pm as he says he goes to bed. He as well has told them that when we let them out and whistle for them to come back in it wakes him up as well as the door when it is being shut.
He put up a privacy fence which was good , he has had his attorney write us letters, he has put up a box that was suppose to make high pitched sounds to make them not bark ( they now run straight to the tree where he had it and bark ) He has also gotten on the dog comminttee here in Lex, ( how that happen he doesnt even have a dog )he also says that my husbands Harley wakes him of the morning when he starts it for work and wants that to stop as well, ....Ever time our dogs bark we either go out and make them stop or we bring them in. They are dogs okay and dogs bark, they bark at the wind, the birds, people passing on the street walking, but its just a bark its not like they do it for long periods of time, we do not allow that. but they do bark,,and when other dogs around the area bark so do they, This neighbor has told them that our dogs make the entire neighbor hood start barking all the time..This is not true, I am at my witts ends. I have done ever thing that I possible know to do with out getting rid of my dogs...BUt that isnt going to happen..
So I guess what I am asking is WHAT CAN I DO...I need help....Can anyone please give me a suggestion or a solution to this rididioucs neighbor....
Thanks
My Babies...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM

822 posts, read 2,826,035 times
Gracious ... any chance he plans to retire and move to Florida soon? Basically you need to find out what rights you have as a dog owner and eventually you need to fight back. Document everything you can, however you can. Check with neighbors to see if he is trying the same things. Long ago I had a similar problem in a condominium (a complaining neighbor) and I sent a letter to the board, cc-ed to all of the lawyers I knew. I never heard another word. Alternately, you could try the genial approach, but he sounds a little bit too far gone for that.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 PM

969 posts, read 2,608,950 times
With all due respect, if I had a neighbor with 4 dogs that barked all day I would go crazy. Clearly I do not know the entire situation, but he has just as much of a right to not be subject to listening to your dogs as you do to own them. There is no law against him being annoying, but there is a law about noise. I don't think there is anything you can do, and, it doesn't look like there is much that he can do either since the dogs still bark.

Harley's ARE loud. I am not trying to be rude, but your situation does seem to be beyond what most people would consider normal.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM

Well the dogs dont bark all day, just sometimes and its like a bark and then its over, and as for the Harley well its way of getting to work, and the bike is factory and nothing has been added so its all legal, so should he not go to work and should I put a muzzle on the dogs and not allow them to bark what so ever, I mean its not like mine are the only dogs around this man, he is sitting right in the middle surrounded by dogs, and yes they all bark just like a normal dog would...I appreciate your input thought....Enjoy your evening...

Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Blossom,
Thanks for sharing your imformation with me, We have contacted our attorneys and are really trying not to take him to court since we've been told that since we are doing everthing that has been ask of us that ,this is considered harrassment on his part. Either way I am sure I will find a way to solve this problem with out getting rid of my babies....Some times I think people that do not own dogs have just no clue, there idea of a dog is NO BARKING ALLOWED no matter what, that would be like asking people who had kids Not TO YELL and scream when playing in the back yard or the pool, but some animal owners understand where I am coming from.....I wonder if ever one on here that post about animals actually own them...agaijn thanks Blossom...Enjoy your evening...
My Babies

Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM

714 posts, read 1,454,940 times
You are allowed to live your life the way you see fit. My neighbor drives everyone on my street crazy, he complains about the kids "maybe" riding their bikes in the yard (and I'm talking about the median area-not his yard- and they are not my kids) he complains about my roomates dog (all 3 pounds of it). My neighbor has a Harley and a ton of other items that make noise...it doesn't bother me.

If it were me I would do the best you can to keep the dogs quiet, esp. during the hours requested, which sounds like you do! I would also make a special effort to make sure that your dogs are safe...people that are that bitter about life can do crazy things! I have a friend who lost a dog b/c a crazy neighbor feed the dog poison...the vet found the poison in it's system.

I am a person that keeps my yard super neat and it bugs me when people don't mmow their yards, etc...so I can understand other concerns like barking dogs...BUT ...it seems to me that you are being responsible as possible. I would keep doing what you are doing and I would even document what you can. Don't let some bitter neighbor ruin your relationship with your animals.

Harley's are loud, but I would say to the people that constantly complain ....GET A LIFE! and I don't even own a motorcycle or know many people that do, but come on...what are you sup. to walk on eggshells at your own house? seriously as long as you are being respectful as possible I say he needs to get over it!

I would like to tear up half of my neighbors landscaping, power spray their roofs, and throw away half of their ugly decorations....but people in hell want ice water too

Take care of your dogs...document and do the best that you can! That's my advice.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 PM

714 posts, read 1,454,940 times
O and one of my best friends is a director at the Humane Socitey in Lexington. If you have any direct questions...I would be happy to ask her for you...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 PM

820 posts, read 2,724,798 times
He certainly doesn't sound like a very nice neighbor. I have two dogs myself, but they're never out at night and only for very short periods during the day. My neighbors have two very small dogs that recently have been out very late that I can hear barking through the window of my bathroom (their side of the house) and into my bedroom. I have new and very good windows too! I do think that it's easier for dogs to bother the neighbors than it is us owners. Hopefully, you all can work together for some sort of compromise.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Stephanieuk,
Thanks you so much for your suggestions, You know it would be totally different if we had not tried to do everything that has been ask of us, We don't let them out when we are not home, they don't stay out past the curfew or go out before the curfew and if something happens that they have to we stand right there with them and make sure they are quiet. We have a fenced in yard all the way around, on his side is a new privacy fence which is great, but they still hear ever thing that goes on and yes they bark and as soon as we hear that we make a point to stop. The other neighbors arounds us and him all have dogs but see they are not right next door so he can't really hear there dogs bark , but the girl on the other side of him has 2 dogs a german shepard and a boxer and sometimes we even hear them barking ,but hey there are dogs and they settle down. He has gone so much as to write annoymous letter to myself and the people who use to live on the other side of me requesting that the dogs be quiet that they are bother the entire neighbor hood, Strange the entire neighbor hood all have dogs except him so why would they be bothering them. Its just a pain since he has only been living there for about 4 yrs and we have been here going on 50. And its not a bad neighbor hood either, the homes run any where from 120 and up, so we arent bad people... its just people like him want everyone to do things his way and if you don't then he sits at his computer all day and trys to find ways to rattle our cages, thing about it is....He hasnt rattled mine, its just he is like a bad bad rash that won't go away no matter what you do...The human society has been out here either 3 -4 times in the lst year and we did what they told us to since we moved from a county that didnt have to have city liscense..got them, they actually when they came on the car port the dogs barked..nautral..they are strangers..a they stopped once we came out when they knocked on the doors...after standing and talking to us a bit they actually sat down and just looked at them and the human society went up and was patting them and just shook there head...The same 2 came each time and they finally said we had to come, but there is nothing your doing wrong that we can see....they said they stood around the house for a bout 15 minutes and never once heard the dogs bark and yet they were out in back yard playing the entire time...but they heard other dogs...makes no sense...They told him they where coming back out so then he called the police...same thing...they said you can take them to court.....and the code people same thing..they have to check out the compliant..what a waste of tax payers money....I think I may try and call the Lexington Kennel Club and see what they suggest....again thanks for taking the time to write..
Enjoy your evening...
My babies

Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM

822 posts, read 2,826,035 times
Again, good luck and keep us posted. I think the part where he thinks your dogs are agitating the other dogs in the neighborhood is the giveaway that he's sort of, well, a little off. I mean, it's impossible to trace back the origin of barking dogs. It can be ambulance sirens in the distance, or anything. He thinks it's your dogs because he hears them first but the whole premise seems kind of silly ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area