Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,504 times

Advertisements

Wow! StephanieUk, how simple minded are you? Well first of all let me give you Ms. Southern Belle a brief desription about myself. I am a married African American woman, mother of two little boys, and an active member of the United States Navy Corp. Now, before I had my career in the Navy I was on SECTION 8, as well as a few of my friends and or family members. Now I don't how far you and your family's wealth extends, but everyone isn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Most people that are on section 8 are using the assistance to help them get on their feet, as I did. Not few and far in between, but most honey. Take this from someone who's been there. Also you don't know the difference between Section 8 and Low Income Housing. With the Section 8 program you cannot recieve assistance if you have a felony or a extinsive criminal background, and the same for low income housing. So whoever you know that was receiving assistance either isn't recieving it through section 8 or HUD, or you don't know what you think you know about thar person. Also it's very sad that you stereotype people who aren't as well off as others, or I guess yourself....?! Majority of the people that I know who are receiving or had received assistance were very caring, quiet, and not gang affiliated. Just because you see gang-bangers don't automatically assume that they're on sect. 8. Be serious! And if they are they are, they don't represent the Hundreds of other people who are using the assistance to help them succeed in life. Well, I'm actually kind of busy at this point so I have to go, but I will be checking back in to see your response. You need to broaden your horizons!!! I'm 24 yrs. old with alot of knowledge on this topic, so please feel free to ask questions if you don't know something. It really makes you look bad when you're dishing such harsh words out on a topic that you really know nothing about.

NavySailor1984
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM

168 posts, read 787,466 times
I couldn't have said it better myself, NavySailor.

My grandmother is on Section 8 and food stamps. Social Security is not enough to cover her living expenses - it won't even cover half of her medical bills and presciptions. Of course there are going to be those who take advantage of government help, but you'd find that in any program. Qualifying for section 8 is a long process and pretty strict. It takes months to actually qualify and the background screenings they do are extensive.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySailor1984 View Post
Wow! StephanieUk, how simple minded are you? Well first of all let me give you Ms. Southern Belle a brief desription about myself. I am a married African American woman, mother of two little boys, and an active member of the United States Navy Corp. Now, before I had my career in the Navy I was on SECTION 8, as well as a few of my friends and or family members. Now I don't how far you and your family's wealth extends, but everyone isn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Most people that are on section 8 are using the assistance to help them get on their feet, as I did. Not few and far in between, but most honey. Take this from someone who's been there. Also you don't know the difference between Section 8 and Low Income Housing. With the Section 8 program you cannot recieve assistance if you have a felony or a extinsive criminal background, and the same for low income housing. So whoever you know that was receiving assistance either isn't recieving it through section 8 or HUD, or you don't know what you think you know about thar person. Also it's very sad that you stereotype people who aren't as well off as others, or I guess yourself....?! Majority of the people that I know who are receiving or had received assistance were very caring, quiet, and not gang affiliated. Just because you see gang-bangers don't automatically assume that they're on sect. 8. Be serious! And if they are they are, they don't represent the Hundreds of other people who are using the assistance to help them succeed in life. Well, I'm actually kind of busy at this point so I have to go, but I will be checking back in to see your response. You need to broaden your horizons!!! I'm 24 yrs. old with alot of knowledge on this topic, so please feel free to ask questions if you don't know something. It really makes you look bad when you're dishing such harsh words out on a topic that you really know nothing about.

NavySailor1984
This is an old thread. It been hashed out. I'm over talking about it. My feelings have not changed about the subject. Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
I think the responsibility here lies with the management of the Glen Eagles Apartments. It would be impossible for the state or federal government that issues the public assistance to continually monitor and 'police' the recipients of that assistance to ensure that they are being responsible citizens and good neighbors.

Unfortunately, because of fair housing laws, landlords have to be very careful about discriminating against who they will rent to - which is how some of the 'undesirable' elements find their way in. On the other hand, I think landlords are well within their rights to enforce the provisions of the lease and should be required to do so. Not enforcing the terms of the lease is an infringement upon the peaceable enjoyment of their units by the rest of the law-abiding tenants.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,580 times
I would like to reply to the section 8 problem at Gleneagles apartments. I live at Gleneagles and I recieve section 8, I have two children and my youngest is disabled. I recieve little to no support from my ex-husband. If I had known how these apartments treated people I would have NEVER moved here. I was talking to a neighbor one evening about 9:30 or 10o p.m. and I was told by the apartment manager to go back to our apartment or the police could arrest us for loitering! I live here, have never caused any problems, pay my rent on time and keep a very clean home. The manager has talked to residents with extreme rudeness, and has threatened eviction on residents if their children are outside playing without an adult. The children are not alloweed to ride bikes, skateboards, etc. without adults. The age we have been told to have an adult at all times is 16. No I will not stay here because the management treats people with no respect or dignity. I do not recommend Gleneagles to anyone. You are kept under lock and key. It is more like prison than a home. My advice to anyone thinking of moving to Gleneagles-DON'T MOVE TO GLENEAGLES it is like living in hell!!!! I will leave when my lease is up.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela southern View Post
I would like to reply to the section 8 problem at Gleneagles apartments. I live at Gleneagles and I recieve section 8, I have two children and my youngest is disabled. I recieve little to no support from my ex-husband. If I had known how these apartments treated people I would have NEVER moved here. I was talking to a neighbor one evening about 9:30 or 10o p.m. and I was told by the apartment manager to go back to our apartment or the police could arrest us for loitering! I live here, have never caused any problems, pay my rent on time and keep a very clean home. The manager has talked to residents with extreme rudeness, and has threatened eviction on residents if their children are outside playing without an adult. The children are not alloweed to ride bikes, skateboards, etc. without adults. The age we have been told to have an adult at all times is 16. No I will not stay here because the management treats people with no respect or dignity. I do not recommend Gleneagles to anyone. You are kept under lock and key. It is more like prison than a home. My advice to anyone thinking of moving to Gleneagles-DON'T MOVE TO GLENEAGLES it is like living in hell!!!! I will leave when my lease is up.
I must say that is how management is supposed to be. The apartments are close to a large middle class neighborhood. Management has to enforce rules.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:04 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela southern View Post
It doesn't sound like you are being treated differently because of your Section 8 status.

The best way to understand the situation may be to look at the other side of the story. I personally cannot stand being in nice apartments & having kids running loose with no parental supervision, people just kind of "hanging out" in the streets or near my car, etc. Beaumont Farms was like that... why should I pay $700 a month of my hard earned money to have 4 year olds block the road with their tricycles? Then the parents finally come out & look at me like Satan because them kids should be allowed to do whatever they want. Ummmm, NO!

If you want to loiter around people's car, let your kids wander like dogs and enjoy noises after 10PM then simply do not live in nice apartment complexes. The other people who are there pay lots of money to avoid these behaviors.

They have nothing against you personally I am sure

Last edited by Wing Feathers; 07-16-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,197 times
I can agree to the the double-edged sword and to dannyboys comment too.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 15,197 times
Wing Feathers...so true!! I left Glen Eagles just bc of that. With them having subsidized living they are just in the house way tooooooo much. I left and I dont recommend living there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area