Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM

141 posts, read 543,670 times

Advertisements

Hi all...
If you read my previous post, you'll see that I'm going to be tempoarily relocating to Lexington starting Monday for the next 2 months. This is all because of Hurricane Ike, and what it did to Galveston, where I've lived for the last 7 + years. It's awful by the way.

Anyway, as I was only planning on evacuating for a couple days prior to the storm, and going back when it was over, I only grabbed enough clothes for the Houston weather and only for 2 days. Now I'm not allowed back into my home in Galveston AT ALL, and will be living in Lexington for probably the next 2 months. SO I guess I need to get all new clothes.

What's the weather going to be like in the next 2 months? How cold will it get? Do I need to get a bunch of sweaters and jackets or just long sleave stuff? Like I said, I wasn't prepared for this at all, and I've never lived outside of TX in my life, so I don't know anything about what to expect from the weather there. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,358,543 times
Generally the coldest weather and snow holds off until January. It does get moderately cold into Nov and Dec, so I'd get one big coat and a couple of sweaters.

The Goodwill stores on the South End have a lot of really nice clothes for very cheap, you might look there.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM

714 posts, read 1,534,443 times
We'll in you never know here....It's hot as heck right now. Has been for a long time. We are in a small drought and it's all 80's next week.

It will get cold in November, so I would def. get a coat. Could I ask? are you in need? If you can't afford anything, I do have a lot of men in my life that I'm sure have extra items.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,540,909 times
Well it will get chilly by November and cold by December.

I'd be getting a jacket at least.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 PM

820 posts, read 2,861,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Goodwill stores on the South End have a lot of really nice clothes for very cheap, you might look there.
Excellent idea for someone in this situation. There's one off of Clays Mill Rd and one out Nicholasville Rd in Brannon Crossing. A friend of mine just modeled a pair of shoes she bought for like two dollars! A great way to build a wardrobe quickly for very little money!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM

87 posts, read 356,862 times
You'll need a jacket for sure, but I don't think you'll need a coat unless you stay beyond Thanksgiving. However, since you'll be relocating to Lexington next year, you might want to splurge on a coat.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for additional help. Many of us in Kentucky were severely inconvienced by the remnants of Ike (tropical storm and hurricane force winds caused massive power outages in the state, and some are still in the dark). But we cannot imagine what you down in Galveston are going through.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,890,377 times
I'm sorry to hear about your situation... The weather is chilly, but not nearly as cold as places further north. In November, expect highs around the upper 40's, low 50's. I would most definitely invest in a coat, as mentioned above. The weather is unpredictable though... we could have a day in the 60's and the next day could be a high of 38. You just never know so invest in a coat just to be sure you will stay warm.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:29 PM

141 posts, read 543,670 times
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and also for you concern and offering to help. It's a pretty sucky situation but I just have to make the best of it...and that includes getting to come up to Lexington earlier than I imagined!

I'm not really in need money-wise too bad, although it will be difficult to pay for my rent in Galveston and also pay to live in Lexington and buy a whole new wardrobe (especially frustrating when I HAVE the clothes, I just can't go to home Galveston to get them)

Anyway, again, I really appreciate your kindness and concern....

Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM

102 posts, read 322,524 times
October-Early November (Fall) is very nice up here during the day (nights can get pretty chilly). You should be fine, but id get a couple of jackets just to be on the safe side.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 PM

714 posts, read 1,534,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ky View Post
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and also for you concern and offering to help. It's a pretty sucky situation but I just have to make the best of it...and that includes getting to come up to Lexington earlier than I imagined!

I'm not really in need money-wise too bad, although it will be difficult to pay for my rent in Galveston and also pay to live in Lexington and buy a whole new wardrobe (especially frustrating when I HAVE the clothes, I just can't go to home Galveston to get them)

Anyway, again, I really appreciate your kindness and concern....
If you find yourself needing clothing please let me know your size and I'd be happy to help get you a coat and some other items. I promise they would be nice! If not, Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area