Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM

50 posts, read 146,236 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lexington many years ago and didn't give too much thought to the lack of racial diversity in the neighborhoods I lived in, around UK and Central Baptist.

Now we are moving back, and people here in the Yankee Urban Metropolis where we live now keep asking us whether we will have trouble buying a house in Lexington as a racially mixed family.

It never occurred to me that we would have trouble, but then again, maybe that's why there wasn't any diversity in my neighborhood when I lived there before...and I just didn't realize it then?

And for the record, I'm not asking just because Lexington is part of "the South" and I am not South-bashing. There are areas of the city we live in now that we might be able to buy a house in, but we'd have a cross burning in our yard when we woke up.

Just wondering whether we have to choose our neighborhood carefully, or our realtor. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Around UK or Central Baptist would be your best bets, but you should be fine ANYWHERE in Lexington. Racism, in general, is just not one of Lexington's problems. I am really, really confident about this.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
It should be a non-factor so just pick the area/house that appeals to you most.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM

50 posts, read 146,236 times
Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear

Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,244 times
You should have no problem anywhere in Lexington. I have a friend that is white, she is married to a very nice black man. They do not have any problems at all and they are really great people. I am also a realtor and I have never had a client even make a reference. You will be welcomed here without issue...

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM

185 posts, read 404,420 times
It won't be a problem, Lexington is a very progressive city.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
I don't see a problem here either. If anybody were to trouble you it would just be name calling and would likely be in a lower income redneck neighborhood. We only have a few of those anyway. I don't want to start a riot by mentioning those areas, so PM me if you need them.

Picking a Realtor? None of the ones I know would think twice about helping a multi-racial family. My advice is always to pick somebody that has plenty of experience in your price range or type of property. Don't use somebody who mainly sells condos if you are buying/selling a farm. Don't pick an agent who mainly sells houses over $300,000 to buy/sell one in the $100,000's. You want somebody who really knows what is happening with the properties in your price range to make sure you don't over pay or buy something that is going to be hard to sell later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area