Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM

168 posts, read 787,702 times

Advertisements

Not that I don't love dinner and a movie or staying home and making dinner, but they both can get a little boring (for lack of a better term).

We've had several friends recommend the Downtown Gallery Hop, but I know it's only a few times a year - does anyone know when the next one is? While I'm at it, does anyone have information on Southern Lights at the horse park? Is it worth going to?

Anyway, we're looking for new date ideas to keep it fresh. Anyone got any ideas? We're willing to go out of Lexington if it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Next Gallery Hop is February 20.

The Kentucky Theatre often has good music acts, if you like live music.

Hiking, hiking, hiking.... the Red River Gorge has so many trails.... and even the Arboretum is fun to wander around in.

Summer is easier because of all the free events in Woodland Park, but there is plenty going on even in the winter. Here is the website for ACE weekly - hope it helps!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:46 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,372 times
LexArts for gallery hop schedule.

We went to Southern Lights Sunday night. It's a family tradition for us but honestly if our son didn't want to go I don't think we would. However, many years ago we went in an RV and had cocktails along the way. That may well be the most fun way to go!

Check out Natasha's. They often have performances that are interesting and a little off the beaten path. I've seen small plays there as well as musicians. It's a cool setting and they offer things you won't find elsewhere.
Natasha's Bistro Boutique (Natasha's Cafe) - Unique Downtown Lexington Kentucky Restaurants

Another fun idea: http://www.woodsongs.com/

Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM

270 posts, read 934,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
LexArts for gallery hop schedule.

We went to Southern Lights Sunday night. It's a family tradition for us but honestly if our son didn't want to go I don't think we would. However, many years ago we went in an RV and had cocktails along the way. That may well be the most fun way to go!

Check out Natasha's. They often have performances that are interesting and a little off the beaten path. I've seen small plays there as well as musicians. It's a cool setting and they offer things you won't find elsewhere.
Natasha's Bistro Boutique (Natasha's Cafe) - Unique Downtown Lexington Kentucky Restaurants

Another fun idea: WoodSong's Old-Time Radio Hour
Natasha's IS a lot of fun! This Friday, they're having a performance of Rakadu (sp?), which as I understand is a form of Middle Eastern belly dance. But there's always some type of unique performance there. I still think Natasha's is one of Lexington's best undiscovered treasures!

And you must have been reading my mind...in another thread, I just posted that I had recently attended a Woodsongs performance for the first time -- it was really a lot more fun than I expected. You could really tell the audience was getting into it!

I didn't go, but my Mom went to Southern Lights this year and she was a little disappointed -- said it wasn't as good as previous years. Maybe if she had gone in an RV and drank mimosas she would have liked it better!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbleedsBlue View Post
Not that I don't love dinner and a movie or staying home and making dinner, but they both can get a little boring (for lack of a better term).

We've had several friends recommend the Downtown Gallery Hop, but I know it's only a few times a year - does anyone know when the next one is? While I'm at it, does anyone have information on Southern Lights at the horse park? Is it worth going to?

Anyway, we're looking for new date ideas to keep it fresh. Anyone got any ideas? We're willing to go out of Lexington if it's worth it.
I have not been on the Lexington Gallery Hops, but Louisville has bimonthly hops that appear to be a bit bigger, and they are year round. In fact there is one this Friday in the Clifton/Crescent Hill area:

F.A.T. Friday Hop

First Friday Trolley Hop

Lexington has all the usual stuff to do like Keeneland (its out of season), maybe a bowling alley, parks, and lots of recreational things around town. The nice thing about Lexington is you can be in town one minute and less than ten minutes later you are in the open country. I think you should just try and do something different. You may try the Herald-Leader, Ace Weekly, or the Kentucky Kernel (student paper) for some ideas.

If you want more ideas about more options you have in Louisville or Cincinnati, let me know. I do not want to get accused of sending people out of Lexington to do stuff, but I am sure you are aware Louisville and definitely Cincy will have many more cultural options from pro sports in Cincy to much bigger museums, more diverse nightlife, shopping, etc in both cities.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,372 times
stx-oops. This is the thread I meant to comment on you practicing restraint! Just appreciate you being aware of how irritating it can be to us that actually like, no make that love, Lexington, that you answer questions on what to do in Lex by answering go to Louisville!
I probably don't go to Louisville more than once a year. There's no need. If I a looking for "big city" experiences I'll go to Cincy. Again, I do that maybe once a year. There's plenty to do in Lexington.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:25 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I have eaten lunch at Natasha's many times, but never knew they had entertainment. I will have to check it out! Thanks.

I went to a play at the Actors Guild of Lexington recently and it was pretty good and a different night out.

Welcome! - Actors Guild of Lexington

Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
stx-oops. This is the thread I meant to comment on you practicing restraint! Just appreciate you being aware of how irritating it can be to us that actually like, no make that love, Lexington, that you answer questions on what to do in Lex by answering go to Louisville!
I probably don't go to Louisville more than once a year. There's no need. If I a looking for "big city" experiences I'll go to Cincy. Again, I do that maybe once a year. There's plenty to do in Lexington.
The OP asked for options outside of Lexington as well. Louisville has many more options . So does Cincinnati. When people run out of options in Louisville, I direct them to larger cities as well.

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-28-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area