Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 AM

137 posts, read 293,283 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid 30's, single and live in Milwaukee. I'm originally from Louisiana but have always been very fond of Lexington. My parents went to school there and I am somewhat familiar with the city.

I really want to move back down south and have targeted Lexington as an ideal place to live. Should I move there, with no job lined up(I do have a B.A.) or reconsider? With the economy so bad and it being a relatively small town, I'm not quite sure. Could I find a job, holding an out of state degree and having to compete with UK? Is it even worth it or is it wishful thinking?

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by dodger15; 01-07-2009 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: add content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 AM

891 posts, read 3,041,370 times
what field are you in?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM

270 posts, read 931,019 times
If the "help wanted" ads in the classifieds are any indication, I'd say the job market here is suffering like other parts of the country. There are very few job listings. In this economy, I'd be very apprehensive about making a big move without having a job lined up first.

I don't want to discourage you from pursuing your dream...I just think now might not be the best time to take a gamble.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,031,676 times
re. the out-of-state degree: That won't hurt you per se. The only way that hurts is that you don't have the contact network built-in.

What is your line of work?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Business. I've had two big employers, first working as a healthcare consultant and also working for a pro sports franchise. I'd assume the sports team looks good on the resume but you never know. How would I meet people if I decided to move to town? Any professional or social organizations?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,189,965 times
I'm in the same boat: trying to get back to the south from WA state, but there is no way I will move without having something lined up first. I even have a network of friends back south who told me I could stay with them while I job hunt, but in this economy, I just don't think it's a wise move. I could be out of a job 6 months or more if I did that and would only be a burden. I say try to secure something long distance first. Or maybe set a deadline for yourself...."by x day I'll be in LExington." or have a backup plan. I guess it depends on your risk tolerance.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger15 View Post
Business. I've had two big employers, first working as a healthcare consultant and also working for a pro sports franchise. I'd assume the sports team looks good on the resume but you never know. How would I meet people if I decided to move to town? Any professional or social organizations?
I know that there are Career Fairs held periodically -- I believe they're held at the Lexington Convention Center. You could contact them to see when the next one is: (859) 233-4567.

You might also try www.helpwantedlexington.com. They do a lot of radio advertising to recruit employers to post their jobs on this site.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Awesome, I will do that. Thanks for the info. Also, major employers seem to be UK, Lexmark and a couple of hospitals. Any other big business in town?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,632,857 times
Dodger, Lexington has not been hit as bad by the economy as some other regional cities, but still, the job market is small enough that I would be careful moving there without a job, unless you were willing to work in the service industry until you can line something up. Actually, I have never understood how or why people ever move to any city without a job, but that is just me....

Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Dodger, Lexington has not been hit as bad by the economy as some other regional cities, but still, the job market is small enough that I would be careful moving there without a job, unless you were willing to work in the service industry until you can line something up. Actually, I have never understood how or why people ever move to any city without a job, but that is just me....
I've done it before and it's scary! When I moved to Atlanta back in the early 90s, I just picked up and went...no job in hand. Thankfully, I found a really good job after just 3 weeks. But, that was a totally different job market in a totally different time. The economy wasn't in the toilet then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area