Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 PM

69 posts, read 178,433 times

Advertisements

Will be in Lexington for buisness for a few days..and I would appreciate your favroite places to eat prefer casual and good local spots ..will be staying around the UK area ..Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Malone's - Malones Restaurant - Lexington, Kentucky Restaurant - Lexington's Best Steak
Bella Notte - Bella Notte
Alfalfa's - Alfalfa Restaurant is the best meat and vegetarian place to eat in downtown Lexington, Ky.
Ramsey's - Ramsey's Diners

Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
Malone's is the best steakhouse that I've ever been to anywhere in the country. It will be a little more pricey than a "typical" chain steakhouse, but the food and service is great. I've come across plenty of people here in Ohio who rave about Malone's, and there's no shortage of great steakhouses in Ohio's cities.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
If you want a local spot close to campus try Suggins on Romany Rd. It is far from fancy but it is consistently good. It's "home cooking" style food.
Another local's hangout is Wheeler's Pharmacy on Romany Rd. Burgers, chili and such at an old time counter. If local is what you're after you can't get any more local than it.
Pazzo's Pizza is on campus. Great pizza, over 100 beers on tap.
For dinner I recommend Jonathon's at Gratz Park. It's downtown but that's only a few miles from campus (at most).
If the weather is nice and you want a fun patio setting try Merrick Inn or Atomic Cafe.
Alfalfa's on Main St is great for breakfast on the weekends.
Also check out Trip Advisor Forum as there are lots of old threads about restaurants.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
Will be in Lexington for buisness for a few days..and I would appreciate your favroite places to eat prefer casual and good local spots ..will be staying around the UK area ..Thanks
You need to be more specific. Lexington has a decent dining scene for a college town, but it is still lacking in many regards. If you seek upscale or a big city caliber restaurants, Jonathan's is one of the few I can see that stacks up:

Jonathan's at Gratz Park > Home

Jonathan's would actually be a top tier restaurant in almost any city outside the top 10.

If not, and Lexingtonians hate when I say this, but take the hour cruise into Cincinnati or Louisville for fine dining.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
Malone's is the best steakhouse that I've ever been to anywhere in the country. It will be a little more pricey than a "typical" chain steakhouse, but the food and service is great. I've come across plenty of people here in Ohio who rave about Malone's, and there's no shortage of great steakhouses in Ohio's cities.
Malone's among the best steakhouses in the country....really???? Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It certainly can't hold a candle to places I have had in New York, New Orleans, Vegas, Miami, etc. In fact, it's not even the best steakhouse in KY IMO

Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Waffle House is the best and most honest food in town.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Waffle House is the best and most honest food in town.
This gave me a laugh! Why? Because there is some truth in this statement.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
This gave me a laugh! Why? Because there is some truth in this statement.
Of course, it wouldn't be funny otherwise.

I lived in Lexington for three years and came to the conclusion honestly. Name a lousy and boring chain and you'll find it in Lexington and crowded to boot. The biggest laugh is that "Old Chicago" joint by Hamburg which is based in Colorado and couldn't stay open a week up here. Anyone who goes there should be branded on the cheek with a "S", standing for "square".

The non chain joints are usually inferior to the chains and are often victims of pretentious cluelessness, especially the Italian and "quality" joints, and suffer from using too much salt AND too much sugar in their food at the same time. Sugar and salt are found in the spice aisle at the Lexington Krogers. Meanwhile food that should be spicey is bland and lifeless.

And good Chinese you just can't get. There are a couple of decent Chinese joints but on arriving back here the first Chinese we got, from a little storefront joint that stuffs menus in apartment mailboxes and is called "Happy Hong Kong #3" or something like that was WORLD'S better than anything in Lexington.

Of course Lexington has several Chinese buffets where Gomers with size 50 shirts and size 6 hats stuff themselves on mediocre crab legs, piling the extremities so high on their platter that they threaten to spill over onto the floor like some kind of crustacean cornocopia. This is evidently their treat for the week, I'd prefer a Milkbone myself.

Malone's is good but I stopped going there when I was offended eating an $80 meal while other customers wore the ubiquitous UK baseball caps. When leaving I told the manager that if I wanted to eat a steak around louts who wear hats while eating I can get "America's Favorite" T-bone at the Waffle House.

Which brings us full circle.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 05-05-2009 at 02:38 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Of course, it wouldn't be funny otherwise.

I lived in Lexington for three years and came to the conclusion honestly. Name a lousy and boring chain and you'll find it in Lexington and crowded to boot. The biggest laugh is that "Old Chicago" joint by Hamburg which is based in Colorado and couldn't stay open a week up here. Anyone who goes there should be branded on the cheek with a "S", standing for "square".

The non chain joints are usually inferior to the chains and are often victims of pretentious cluelessness, especially the Italian and "quality" joints, and suffer from using too much salt AND too much sugar in their food at the same time. Sugar and salt are found in the spice aisle at the Lexington Krogers. Meanwhile food that should be spicey is bland and lifeless.

And good Chinese you just can't get. There are a couple of decent Chinese joints but on arriving back here the first Chinese we got, from a little storefront joint that stuffs menus in apartment mailboxes and is called "Happy Hong Kong #3" or something like that was WORLD'S better than anything in Lexington.

Of course Lexington has several Chinese buffets where Gomers with size 50 shirts and size 6 hats stuff themselves on mediocre crab legs, piling the extremities so high on their platter that they threaten to spill over onto the floor like some kind of crustacean cornocopia. This is evidently their treat for the week, I'd prefer a Milkbone myself.

Malone's is good but I stopped going there when I was offended eating an $80 meal while other customers wore the ubiquitous UK baseball caps. When leaving I told the manager that if I wanted to eat a steak around louts who wear hats while eating I can get "America's Favorite" T-bone at the Waffle House.

Which brings us full circle.
Now Tom, we know you can never be pleased...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area