Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 39,550 times

Advertisements

Hi there people! I have been considering a visit to Lexington, KY, I have two cousins there. I am from Chicago, and hate the weather, stress, and crime rate. I've been doing some research on the subject and have stumbled on this website American Chronicle | Sanctuary Lexington Ky. "Don't worry be happy the gang killings just involved other gang members.", somewhat shocking to me, needless to say since I am Mexican, although not illegal. I have also read on this forum about the mexican gang problem and crimes commited by mexican illegal aliens. This is very sad to me, I believe anybody, no matter what the color, should pay for their crimes. I also believe that an illegal immigrant that commits a crime, such as DUI, drugs, armed robbery, etc. should be deported to their home country(probaly after serving their sentence). That aside, I don't like people generalizing a race based on what some of them do. I don't like being look down on based simply on the color of my skin, I consider myself a good law-abiding citizen.

My question here is, how has all of this affected your relations with mexicans. Have you seen, or heard of mexicans in Lexington treated bad, or discriminated against. Would it be safe for me and my family to live there, we may look illegal but not ghetto, like some mexican do. I also speak fluent English. I respect all people. Please be honest and let me know, what you think. If you have read this far, I want to thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM

270 posts, read 934,537 times
Hi Angel,

I think that if you are indeed a good, law-abiding citizen then you should have no trouble being accepted. Lexington seems to have a very visible Hispanic community, and while there have been some gang-related criminal activities, I don't think the entire Hispanic community as a whole has been stigmatized. Just be a good citizen, and a good neighbor and you'll be just fine.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I don't sense that much anti Hispanic sentiment in Lexington. There might have been a little back in the mid 1990s when the first waves of Hispanics started coming here but now they are pretty well woven into to the fabric of Lexington life - I'd guess by now all of Versailles Rd inside New Circle is majority Hispanic. In general places with few murders or violent crime have less racial problems. Since Lexington only has 15 murders a year there isn't as much racial conflict as areas with lots of murders and frequent minority on white crime.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 39,550 times
Thanks lexingtony and censusdata, I guess I got the wrong impression from that article I read, but I'm happy to know not all people think that way.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelC View Post
Thanks lexingtony and censusdata, I guess I got the wrong impression from that article I read, but I'm happy to know not all people think that way.
You will be fine. I believe there are way more Hispanics in KY than the Census indicates....

Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
One can't generalize about how people will accept "Hispanics". Many people who've no beef with Mexicans don't care for Puerto Ricans or Dominicans. IME Mexicans are the most accepted and respected Latin-Americans and I know of quite a few Irish-Mexican marriages, a couple in my family.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
One can't generalize about how people will accept "Hispanics". Many people who've no beef with Mexicans don't care for Puerto Ricans or Dominicans. IME Mexicans are the most accepted and respected Latin-Americans and I know of quite a few Irish-Mexican marriages, a couple in my family.
I disagree. What I have found, especially in KY, white people can't tell the difference between Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc. Many less educated people are apt to call all Hispanics "Mexican" or ask them "to quit speaking Mexican." These are statements I have heard. I don't think it indicates racism or unacceptance, but rather, it probably has more to do with white Kentuckians ignorance of other cultures and races.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 AM

270 posts, read 934,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I disagree. What I have found, especially in KY, white people can't tell the difference between Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc. Many less educated people are apt to call all Hispanics "Mexican" or ask them "to quit speaking Mexican." These are statements I have heard. I don't think it indicates racism or unacceptance, but rather, it probably has more to do with white Kentuckians ignorance of other cultures and races.
I have to agree with you on this one. I have heard similar statements myself, although I don't think it's pervasive -- at least not in my experience in Lexington. Most people are educated enough (or perhaps polite enough) to not go around speaking such ill-informed nonsense.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
I have to agree with you on this one. I have heard similar statements myself, although I don't think it's pervasive -- at least not in my experience in Lexington. Most people are educated enough (or perhaps polite enough) to not go around speaking such ill-informed nonsense.
yes, MOST people are, especially in KY's urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area